The British Virgin Islands

Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>
April 11th, 2014 at 11:00:11 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Just in case you're wondering if anyone's out here, Face, and not to interrupt, this is really one of the best travelogues I've ever read. Please do continue.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 11th, 2014 at 1:56:28 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Pacomartin
My friends got married on the beach next to those rocks.

So the same beach that destroyed my skin destroyed their happiness?

I kid, I kid =) Cool that we've been to the exact same spot. That was a neat place that I hope to return to.

Quote: PacoMartin
The rocks started out as a layer, and then they were broken up into pieces and piled on top of each other. The process took over 100 million years.

Bah, I should've figured that out. It's just so counter intuitive. The land rises up, the ocean wears down. But the ocean doesn't reach far enough to wear those down, at least at present. Of course, 100mm years is a long time, and it obviously wasn't positioned as it is today...

Either way, it's cool. Next time I'll remember to wear the camera on land as well and take a little tour =)

Quote: beachbumbabs
Just in case you're wondering if anyone's out here, Face, and not to interrupt, this is really one of the best travelogues I've ever read. Please do continue.

Thanks, Babs =) I know a few follow along, even if without comment. And even if they didn't I'd likely do it anyway, as sort of my own personal photo diary. I like looking back on memories made, and this helps save the little details that have been lost over time.

Only a day or two left to go on this, then it'll likely be nothing but fishing and racing until fall. We are sort of still planning a return trip to Wyo, and have all but committed a return to BVI, so my "travelogues" shan't end anytime soon.

Thanks for reading, and glad you enjoy =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 11th, 2014 at 7:47:43 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Did you live thru the trip? Will we find out in the end?
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 11th, 2014 at 8:17:27 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: Evenbob
Did you live thru the trip?

A barracuda is posting as Face. Watch for him to change his name to Fish eventually.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 11th, 2014 at 9:08:59 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Evenbob
Did you live thru the trip? Will we find out in the end?

HA! And people say you're no fun =)

Quote: rxwine
A barracuda is posting as Face. Watch for him to change his name to Fish eventually.

Bah. Cuda's ain't scary. They're just curious. I suspect it was glint off my necklace that brought him in. I wear no rings or nothing, and the water was crystal clear, so I was in about zero danger. I had absolutely no warning bells going off when I ran into the one diving.

The scorpionfish put me on edge, but it was hiding so I couldn't accidentally impale myself on it. Probably The most danger I was in all trip was riding along with locals, followed probably by doing something dumb as the result of beer.
April 11th, 2014 at 9:37:41 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Face
Bah. Cuda's ain't scary. They're just curious. I suspect it was glint off my necklace that brought him in. I wear no rings or nothing, and the water was crystal clear, so I was in about zero danger.

I've never been frightened by Barracuda's in the Atlantic, but they have been known to get to over 100 lbs in the Pacific near Panama. One colleague of mine said that when she was in the navy a Cuda ripped off the arm of one of her friends. They retrieved the arm and took him to a Navy hospital. She cautions against wearing too much bling.
April 11th, 2014 at 9:49:11 PM permalink
Face
Quote: Pacomartin
I've never been frightened by Barracuda's in the Atlantic, but they have been known to get to over 100 lbs in the Pacific near Panama. One colleague of mine said that when she was in the navy a Cuda ripped off the arm of one of her friends. They retrieved the arm and took him to a Navy hospital. She cautions against wearing too much bling.

100lbs?! Man! The one I caught would be lucky to break 10lbs. I couldn't imagine how awesome a big one would be!

But that arm story... I never would have guessed. You mean like literally severed from the body?

Cuda have dagger teeth, not like the serrated, angular teeth of sharks. They're used to hold on to flesh rather than to remove it. I could imagine them ragging someone all to hell and back, or taking a digit, sure. But an entire arm? That must've been one big fish.

April 11th, 2014 at 10:19:06 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
100lbs?! Man! The one I caught would be lucky to break 10lbs. I couldn't imagine how awesome a big one would be!

But that arm story... I never would have guessed. You mean like literally severed from the body?

Cuda have dagger teeth, not like the serrated, angular teeth of sharks. They're used to hold on to flesh rather than to remove it. I could imagine them ragging someone all to hell and back, or taking a digit, sure. But an entire arm? That must've been one big fish.

Good grief, what a picture to scroll down to! I jumped! I've gone snorkling any number of times, and the 'cudas are always the curious ones; they'll stare you down and then flick off. Never saw the fangs before, though.

Craziest snorkle I ever took was on the back side of Tortola (BVI). Mentioned it before, but not what happened. I was in about 8 feet of water with just a few fish, and all of a sudden I was absolutely covered in fish of all sorts, surrounded like a hallucination. They were all crowding around me, agitated, layers and layers. I had no idea what was going on, but my dad was about 20 feet away and saw it from the side and freaked. They were swarming me because a 6-7 foot shark was directly below the swarm, looking at what to feed on. The whole thing moved away from me, and I swam after it for a minute, but they outran me, and I turned back to shore. My dad came ashore and told me what he saw, and you could have knocked me over with a feather. Never saw the shark; the fish were too thick below me.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 11th, 2014 at 10:46:05 PM permalink
Face

Good grief, what a picture to scroll down to! I jumped! I've gone snorkling any number of times, and the 'cudas are always the curious ones; they'll stare you down and then flick off. Never saw the fangs before, though.

Yeah, their teeth are no joke.

I got Ash somewhat worried (by design) by telling her everything was either poisonous, stingy, or had big teeth. I just wanted her to be on her game. Of course, most everything we caught I just lipped, no problem. But you should have seen the look on her face when I brought her close and turned that cuda toward her XD

Craziest snorkle I ever took was on the back side of Tortola (BVI). Mentioned it before, but not what happened. I was in about 8 feet of water with just a few fish, and all of a sudden I was absolutely covered in fish of all sorts, surrounded like a hallucination. They were all crowding around me, agitated, layers and layers. I had no idea what was going on, but my dad was about 20 feet away and saw it from the side and freaked. They were swarming me because a 6-7 foot shark was directly below the swarm, looking at what to feed on. The whole thing moved away from me, and I swam after it for a minute, but they outran me, and I turned back to shore. My dad came ashore and told me what he saw, and you could have knocked me over with a feather. Never saw the shark; the fish were too thick below me.

Yes! Everyone should be aware of odd behavior. Often the things which hold our interest do so because it's weird, and weirdness is usually for a reason.

The Fed said he experienced this exact thing on one of his previous trips. Just a swirling, swarming ball of silver appearing out of nowhere. It wasn't long before he was in it, and it wasn't long after that that tarpon missiled through the ball, picking off fish and generally tearing shit up.

Tarpon might not have any teeth, but take a 20lb missile to the chest at 20mph and you're gonna have a bad time.

I was really hoping for a shark sighting, but it was not to be. Being where we were, any shark would have likely been a nurse shark, and I have a standing bet to return with proof of riding one. I also have standing bets to punch a bison and roundhouse kick a moose.

I have to wonder about these people I call my "friends" =p
April 11th, 2014 at 11:15:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Hemingway was a pioneer of the deep sea fishing
craze in the 30's and 40's. His favorite thing to do
at times was take city-fied newbies into the Gulf
Stream during the peak feeding time in the mid
morning. In those days you could look over the
side at a virtual feeding frenzy of fish eating fish.

Some of the weaker souls gave up their breakfast
to the sea, which was readily devoured too. One
thing all we living creatures share with each other
is, a desire to devour. Not a pretty picture..

Hemingway was a man's man fisherman. He caught
fish of a size that don't exist anymore, the kind
you fought 2 hours to land. When he was drunk,
one of his fave methods was a Thompson sub
machine gun. He used it on sharks. Hey, it was
80 years ago, times were different then. Don't judge.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
Page 6 of 9« First<3456789>