If Alaska voted to join Canada

Page 1 of 41234>
March 17th, 2014 at 1:25:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
In 1860 President James Buchanan and the incoming Republicans rejected secession as illegal. Lincoln's inaugural address declared his administration would not initiate civil war.

Hostilities began on April 12, 1861, when Confederate forces fired upon Fort Sumter. Lincoln called for each state to provide troops to retake the fort; consequently, four more slave states joined the Confederacy, bringing their total to eleven.

To the best of my knowledge no constitutional amendment or law was ever passed that settled the question once and for all that secession was illegal.

If Alaska voted to join Canada and preserve the rights of American companies to their private property what would the US government do? Presumably this secession would be motivated by concern over the debt, and government policies regarding exploitation of natural resources of the state.

Wikipedia article on secession in the USA

March 17th, 2014 at 1:42:15 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Would Canada accept?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 17th, 2014 at 2:18:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
If they agree to keep Sarah Palin, and let the US maintain all its military bases there rent-free, I'd see absolutely no problem with it.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 17th, 2014 at 2:48:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
For starters AK would have to eject USA forces from the many military bases there, which would not be an easy thing. Secondly, AK and Canada could be shut off from the rest of the world financially, and physically as the Canadian Navy is no match for the US Navy.

OTOH, any rebel forces in AK could easily retreat into the wilderness for months to decades. They could become an ungovernable enclave like you see in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

Legally AK would have a harder time with secession as it was purchased by the Feds and did not come into the union with any previous government. The 13 colonies, Maine, Texas, California, Vermont, and Hawaii were admitted to the union with some of sovereign past. Everything else was purchased by the feds, making the legality of secession harder.
The President is a fink.
March 17th, 2014 at 3:33:28 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
For starters AK would have to eject USA forces from the many military bases there, which would not be an easy thing. Secondly, AK and Canada could be shut off from the rest of the world financially, and physically as the Canadian Navy is no match for the US Navy.

Which is why, if it was in anyway an unfriendly succession, Canada would just say 'thanks, but no thanks'.

Quote:
OTOH, any rebel forces in AK could easily retreat into the wilderness for months to decades. They could become an ungovernable enclave like you see in Afghanistan or Pakistan.

Legally AK would have a harder time with secession as it was purchased by the Feds and did not come into the union with any previous government. The 13 colonies, Maine, Texas, California, Vermont, and Hawaii were admitted to the union with some of sovereign past. Everything else was purchased by the feds, making the legality of secession harder.

One court case has already suggested that secession would not be legal. Furthermore, if the AIP won a vote and want to cede, it would appear their policies and preferences are mostly libertarian, and not very Canadian (guns rights, home schooling etc). So I can't see that movement wanting to join Canada as a province.

Still, when we get independence for Cascadia, I am sure we will welcome in Alaska... :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 17th, 2014 at 3:38:59 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Why would Alaskans give up pistol ownership, alcoholism, rape and incest to join Canada?
March 17th, 2014 at 3:50:34 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Quote: Nareed
If they agree to keep Sarah Palin, and let the US maintain all its military bases there rent-free, I'd see absolutely no problem with it.
Nareed is right. Let Canada have Alaska and take Texas with it as well. Canada already has representation in the United States Senate through one of their citizens, Ted Cruz. Taking Texas off our hands would just close the circle.
March 17th, 2014 at 3:51:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What is the guaranteed annual income in Alaska versus in Canada?
March 17th, 2014 at 4:42:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit

One court case has already suggested that secession would not be legal. Furthermore, if the AIP won a vote and want to cede, it would appear their policies and preferences are mostly libertarian, and not very Canadian (guns rights, home schooling etc). So I can't see that movement wanting to join Canada as a province.

They may like Jennifer Jones the lovely lady curler?

Quote: s2dbaker
Nareed is right. Let Canada have Alaska and take Texas with it as well. Canada already has representation in the United States Senate through one of their citizens, Ted Cruz. Taking Texas off our hands would just close the circle.

You have it backwards. Maybe you forget the movement in November 2008?

I could easily find work in my line in OH/WV so I am all for it.
The President is a fink.
March 17th, 2014 at 5:45:23 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: s2dbaker
Nareed is right. Let Canada have Alaska and take Texas with it as well.

Not as long as Houston and NASA mission control are in Texas. Though Mexico would benefit from bordering a second country <w>
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 1 of 41234>