If Alaska voted to join Canada

Page 2 of 4<1234>
March 17th, 2014 at 6:23:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
What is the guaranteed annual income in Alaska versus in Canada?

AK depends on the price of oil for the year and how much the royalty check is for. I know of no "guaranteed" income in Canada except for the guy with the curling stone concession......
The President is a fink.
March 17th, 2014 at 8:54:58 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
AK depends on the price of oil for the year and how much the royalty check is for. I know of no "guaranteed" income in Canada except for the guy with the curling stone concession......

A Tim Hortons licence is worth a few bucks... curling stones... less so, stones never seem to get replaced and are particular to the rink :)

More seriously, I wasn't aware of a minimum income legislation in Canada, but I think the North West Territories and the Yukon have tax concessions which might work to a similar effect. They are paid per day living in the territory.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 18th, 2014 at 12:36:27 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
They may like Jennifer Jones the lovely lady curler?

You have it backwards. Maybe you forget the movement in November 2008?

I could easily find work in my line in OH/WV so I am all for it.

I'll be moving, then. Yuck. I'm half Canadian anyway. Just not too fond of snow.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 18th, 2014 at 5:19:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit
A Tim Hortons licence is worth a few bucks... curling stones... less so, stones never seem to get replaced and are particular to the rink :)

Curling is starting to take off. Key is to get people to want to bring their own stones, just like a serious bowler has his own shoes and ball........

Quote:
More seriously, I wasn't aware of a minimum income legislation in Canada, but I think the North West Territories and the Yukon have tax concessions which might work to a similar effect. They are paid per day living in the territory.

Could be for same reason as AK, namely oil and gas royalties. You'd have to pay me very well to live up there, way too cold.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2014 at 8:05:05 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Curling stones are unique in that they are crafted from the same granite in a small region in Scotland. And they weigh 40 pounds each... so I think bringing your own stones would be difficult.

I think Canada would say "no" if Alaska voted to be part of Canada, simply due to the complexities and repercussions it would get from the US government would cripple our economy. Canada enjoys its parasitic relationship to the USA and would do nothing to change that.

The Northern Residence "guaranteed income" does not exist. You receive a tax deduction (not credit) worth up to $16.50/day, and you can also deduct some forms of travel.
March 18th, 2014 at 8:19:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: boymimbo
I think Canada would say "no" if Alaska voted to be part of Canada,

You seem to be under the impression Canada would have a say in the matter ;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 18th, 2014 at 8:44:33 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
Curling stones are unique in that they are crafted from the same granite in a small region in Scotland. And they weigh 40 pounds each... so I think bringing your own stones would be difficult.

Difficult, but imagine the marketing to have your team name on them somehow. I knew they come from one place, a buddy who likes curling said he would love to own that concession. How many stones does a team need?

Quote:
I think Canada would say "no" if Alaska voted to be part of Canada, simply due to the complexities and repercussions it would get from the US government would cripple our economy. Canada enjoys its parasitic relationship to the USA and would do nothing to change that.

Correct, Canada has plenty of underpopulated, arctic areas. While AK has lots of mineral wealth, Canada has lots of that also. Even if the USA let AK go, Canada would not take it because defense of AK would be to get a bill for a few billion dollars.

Quote:
The Northern Residence "guaranteed income" does not exist. You receive a tax deduction (not credit) worth up to $16.50/day, and you can also deduct some forms of travel.

Thanks for clearing that up, I never heard of any of it and just took a guess on the royalty thing.
The President is a fink.
March 18th, 2014 at 9:51:54 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

Correct, Canada has plenty of underpopulated, arctic areas. While AK has lots of mineral wealth, Canada has lots of that also. Even if the USA let AK go, Canada would not take it because defense of AK would be to get a bill for a few billion dollars.

Why is this?

If you look at a population map, Canada's population ends shortly after you go a third of the way north of its border with US. There's not really anything or anyone. Suddenly, even farther north, you have a resurgence of density in Alaska.

Why does Alaska have pop density when the same latitude, geography, and conditions in Canada exist right across the invisible line, and they have none?
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 18th, 2014 at 9:58:00 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Quote: Nareed
You seem to be under the impression Canada would have a say in the matter ;)

Absolutely it would.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 18th, 2014 at 9:59:35 AM permalink
TheCesspit
The Coast probably makes a lot of difference. Much easier to live on the coast of the pacific than the interior or the coast of the Arctic ocean (though people do).
Page 2 of 4<1234>