Federal judge rules Michigan's gay marriage ban is unconstitutional

Page 2 of 3<123>
March 22nd, 2014 at 3:31:24 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Dalex64
Would you be ok with it if it were called something else?

I would think gay folk themselves would want to call it something else. Marriage? You really want that? Have you seen what us straight folk have done with it?

It's for the birds. But I support the freedom of masochism, so if gays want it, have at it.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 22nd, 2014 at 6:46:20 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face
I would think gay folk themselves would want to call it something else. Marriage? You really want that? .

Of course they do. Many Gay people want
it just because it bothers straights. If Gays
are ever totally accepted by society, it will
take the fun out of being Gay for a lot
of them. Nobody will care anymore. Same
for blacks. If they're totally accepted, no
more race card to pull, no more 'go to the
head of the line' because of your race.

Being discriminated against always has it's
built in benefits too. You can milk victimhood
all your life.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 23rd, 2014 at 12:57:19 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 23rd, 2014 at 12:59:46 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
Of course they do. Many Gay people want
it just because it bothers straights. If Gays
are ever totally accepted by society, it will
take the fun out of being Gay for a lot
of them. Nobody will care anymore. Same
for blacks. If they're totally accepted, no
more race card to pull, no more 'go to the
head of the line' because of your race.

Being discriminated against always has it's
built in benefits too. You can milk victimhood
all your life.

I disagree about why gays want marriage. A huge motivator, one that's brought us through to today, is the scourge of AIDS starting in 1981 or so, and the lack of rights of the sick person's partner, in medical issues, property, survivor rights, even hospital visitation and information release to the partner. In the early years, that lack sometimes even led to the other partner's illness/death through ignorance of what was happening. Other issues are family health benefits, IRS filing status, parental rights, adoption, court testimony, all kinds of issues where your marital status determines the laws and rules that apply to you.

I really think gays (every one I know, and at least most I'm aware of) would be very happy to just be left alone to live their lives in equality. They don't stay up nights plotting how to irritate straight people. They just want their quality of life to be the best possible and to have the same options other people have. It's the inequality, and for some the hate, that makes them activists or at least speak out. It's a response to unfairness, not a pre-emptive demand for special treatment.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
March 23rd, 2014 at 4:32:30 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: beachbumbabs
I disagree about why gays want marriage. A huge motivator, one that's brought us through to today, is the scourge of AIDS starting in 1981 or so, and the lack of rights of the sick person's partner, in medical issues, property, survivor rights, even hospital visitation and information release to the partner. In the early years, that lack sometimes even led to the other partner's illness/death through ignorance of what was happening. Other issues are family health benefits, IRS filing status, parental rights, adoption, court testimony, all kinds of issues where your marital status determines the laws and rules that apply to you.

The above is why I'm "pro gay marriage". Although if anyone wants to make some sort of avenue for them to get the above while not calling it marriage, I'd be for that, too. I don't care specifically about "marriage".

Quote: beachbumbabs
I really think gays (every one I know, and at least most I'm aware of) would be very happy to just be left alone to live their lives in equality. They don't stay up nights plotting how to irritate straight people. They just want their quality of life to be the best possible and to have the same options other people have. It's the inequality, and for some the hate, that makes them activists or at least speak out. It's a response to unfairness, not a pre-emptive demand for special treatment.

It's like atheists or the religious or anything else. The majority are like you posted. It's the radicals and militants we remember, and become what we think of the group.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 24th, 2014 at 8:08:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Face
The above is why I'm "pro gay marriage". Although if anyone wants to make some sort of avenue for them to get the above while not calling it marriage, I'd be for that, too. I don't care specifically about "marriage".

That doesn't work for two reasons:

1) If you don't call it what it is, marriage, you can find ways to chip away at the rights recognized in suhc unions. Case in point:

2) By passing the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act," all sorts of Federal level legal rights and benefits associated to marriage were automatically not available to same-sex couples in civil unions.

So the concept of "let's give them the same rights but let's not call it amrriage" was doomed from the start.

The irony is that those most loudly protesting the "redefinition" of marirage, are those who most had to do with making it necessary for same-sex couples to marry. Thanks guys, now stop digging.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 24th, 2014 at 7:03:49 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
The more marriages the better!!!
November 6th, 2014 at 3:58:46 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Pdf of today's opinion upholding the ban on gay marriage:
http://www.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/14a0275p-06.pdf
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
November 6th, 2014 at 5:13:33 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Wouldn't it be better if we just eliminated marriage all together and replaced it with contracts? [sorry aos]

Stop unfairness on so many levels, just do away with it altogether, it is mostly such a farce anyway.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 6th, 2014 at 5:17:25 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: petroglyph
Wouldn't it be better if we just eliminated marriage all together and replaced it with contracts? [sorry aos]

Stop unfairness on so many levels, just do away with it altogether, it is mostly such a farce anyway.

No apology necessary - Someone needs to draft the contract then fight over enforcement and interpretation :-)
Page 2 of 3<123>