Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

March 22nd, 2014 at 1:55:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Although most of us have seen a lot of Post-Apocalyptic movies, this one gives me the creeps. Maybe it is because the idea of a "humanzee" seemed so realistic at one point. Since chimpanzees and humans are so close genetically, it was thought that a hybrid could be created through artificial insemination. The resultant species might have the intelligence of man, and the strength and emotional rage of a chimpanzee.

Which species would survive?
March 22nd, 2014 at 6:39:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Pacomartin
a hybrid could be created through artificial insemination.

Actually I think that idea is passed over now in lieu of some modern gene splicing technique. It was in the news about the time the previous film launched. If I have time I'll try to look that up. What I remember is scientists wondering if they could continue to do experiments on an animal that spoke English, should this ever come to pass. For real.

Which species would survive?

The recent movies must not really factor in the numbers disparity should it come to war. Haven't seen that last one, though.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 22nd, 2014 at 7:45:08 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: odiousgambit
The recent movies must not really factor in the numbers disparity should it come to war. Haven't seen that last one, though.

The last movie in 2011 ended with a plague that would destroy most of mankind. Otherwise you would be correct.

There are only 200,000 give or take 25% chimpanzees left in the world, and over 7 billion humans.
March 22nd, 2014 at 9:03:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Since chimpanzees and humans are so close genetically, it was thought that a hybrid could be created through artificial insemination. The resultant species might have the intelligence of man, and the strength and emotional rage of a chimpanzee.

The experiment has already been made. The result was a species with a not-quite human level of inteligence, the emotions and demeanor of a chimp, including a penchant for throwing feces around. There are many thousands of these specimens, most of which are largely confined to the Capitol and White House in washington DC, and the Capitols and governor mansions in the variuos states.

I thought everyone knew this.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 22nd, 2014 at 9:56:53 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Nareed
I thought everyone knew this.

You had me going for a minute there

I searched some and came up with various, but not that article I especially remember

http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&q=gene+chimpanzee+speech&btnG=&as_sdt=1%2C47&as_sdtp=

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v418/n6900/abs/nature01025.html

http://www.livescience.com/7973-human-speech-gene.html
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
March 22nd, 2014 at 1:19:53 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: odiousgambit

I expect this would be proscribed research. Which means China has likely already tried it.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has