C'mon, let's get moving...

October 30th, 2012 at 11:56:15 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Here are some ides for getting this forum busy:

1) we need a single-issue/theme thread with some kind of wide appeal, like the SWD but of interest to more people. As of yet, I've no idea about what.

2) As time permits I'll be posting synopsis/reviews of books I've read. That will be about 95% Science Fiction. I may attempt some controversial titles, too, depending on how it goes.

3) I sometimes come up with highly speculative, alternate history/universes types of scenarios. Some I've thought about, others not so much. Being a long time SF reader and aspiring writer, speculation is built into me ;)

4) We could do with a real history thread or two as well.

Feel free to post mroe ideas here.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2012 at 12:34:57 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I'm trying, but due to my home-body personality and limited experience, I don't think I'll have mass appeal. Really, all I know intimately enough to talk long about is fishing, cars, guns and hockey.

Hockey is a loss. Besides being on the fringe as a sport, I'm not an NHL nut. I'm not a stats hound or a fantasy player, I'm a hockey lover. I love talking about the history, the passion, the honor behind the warrior, but I suspect I'm in the severe minority.

Cars are being done, and will be done again.

Fishing is also being done by myself, and, well, I'm basically following EvenBob's example and posting what I want to talk about. Maybe it'll catch on, maybe not. I hope to keep it interesting, as the act of fishing is but a small part of the draw for me. Hopefully, there'll be enough nature and biological science stuff to keep non-fisherpeople interested. So far, I'm just winging it and hoping something sticks.

Guns, too, will come. If someone doesn't, I surely will.

And I suspect you couldn't care less about any of these ;) Hey, I'm trying...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 30th, 2012 at 1:07:36 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Guns, too, will come. If someone doesn't, I surely will.

I wouldn't mind talking about a certain Mr. Browning

What I want to start with is a brief history of New Coke. No offense, seriously. It is the case study of modern marketing, still easily recognizable after nearly 30 years.

Trivia: Coca Cola never actually named it "New Coke." But the cans and bottles used when the product launched were labelled "NEW" prominently just above the "Coke" logo.
October 30th, 2012 at 1:30:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Why not let it alone snd stop trying so hard? 5 days ago there were
104 members, today there are 108. Its not growing, give it time.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 30th, 2012 at 2:20:22 PM permalink
Nareed
I'd love to do a "Today in History" thread, but that would really take up too much time and probably accomplish little. Besides, you're contrained to events that tookplacce on a certain day, and that's haphazard at best. We'd have things like obscure battles in parts of the world that may or may not exist, people no one ever heard of (and for good reason), and birthdays of celebrities best forgotten.

So I guess I'll stick with events that are interesting regardless of when they happened.
October 30th, 2012 at 2:44:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Less talky, more do-ey. Or no talky. Either implement your idea, or don't.

I agree with EvenBob.

Just let it grow, and do whatever you feel is necessary. People will either follow, or they want. Having endless threads about how we don't have any threads accomplishes... nothing.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 30th, 2012 at 2:50:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Less talky, more do-ey. Or no talky. Either implement your idea, or don't.

I will. I'm just tossing out other ideas.

Besides, smack in the middle fo the workday is hardly the time to launch on a 25,000 word retelling of the last battle in the Cola Wars...
October 30th, 2012 at 3:20:16 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
It will develop organically. I've just been busy with kids home because of the storm and now Halloween prep. Then one more baseball tournament...then Thanksgiving...then Christmas...okay--life!
This space for rent