My first smart phone.

Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>
July 2nd, 2017 at 4:40:43 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: petroglyph
Aha, another conspiracy theory proven correct.

The iphone has no provision for additional memory, because they can make a lot more money selling the extra memory a a feature for several times the value of the RAM by itself. Android phones can have additional memory, but the same logic applies to the OEMs.

Quote:
The clerks were nice and wanted to help, but in the end only were able to sell me time on my phone. Or a new phone.

I'm sure rooting the phone would also help. The problem is actually rooting the phone. Paradoxically, rooting an iphone is very easy, as there are a small number of models. Android is open source, which allows for plenty of variation, and OEMs like making lots of different models.

Quote:
As it stands, I only have mb's left of storage and occasionally will have to clean old texts out to even be able to use the phone.

That's why I hated the SONY phone I had. Software updates aside, I had to clear used memory just to be able tor run some necessary aps like Maps.

Quote:
I ignorantly I suppose thought, I would be able to move more material onto the sd card, which has tons of storage. Just in case I want to travel around with ten thousand photo's on my phone that takes minutes to scroll through, for each one I would want to see.

What worries me is how people in IT buy such notions. Shortly after I got Misix, I mentioned the ap and memory problem to an IT guy, and he said "but the SD card is for data." <roll-eyes> I thought the Cloud was for data, too, and these devices are always connected? Hell, why not Make PCs with 8 GB of solid state RAM for software, and 1 TB HDs for data? Phones are highly portable computers with a phone-call ap.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 2nd, 2017 at 5:01:40 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
Phones are highly portable computers with a phone-call ap.
I spoke yesterday with the AT&T help desk about a hiccup with my phone. After a few minutes she let me know she had nearly an identical problem with her personal phone and was hoping between the two of us, we could find a fix. Hasn't happened yet.

She did try to sell me a newer greater updated phone. I can't make myself spend hundreds more dollars for another phone while this one mostly works. These phone prices are nearly the price of lower end laptops now. But none of us want to walk around with a pc in our pocket.

I don't need my phone to transport me to another dimension or even to a different time space, actually just a few functions would be fine. The aps my phone came with I will never ever use. It seems rude that I can't remove them and get the ones I would prefer. In that fashion it reminds me of a tv cable package where the purchaser has to by a hundred twenty channels to get the 10 they like.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 2nd, 2017 at 8:20:16 PM permalink
Nareed
I don't need my phone to transport me to another dimension or even to a different time space,

Oh, but wouldn't that be nice :)

Quote:
In that fashion it reminds me of a tv cable package where the purchaser has to by a hundred twenty channels to get the 10 they like.

It's worse than that. You could ignore channels you don't want in cable, they don't keep you from watching what you want.

I seriously suggest looking into rooting options. Just make sure you can restore your phone if you brick it. Meantime, see if you can disable the apps you don't use, even if you can't remove them. Often that frees up memory.
July 3rd, 2017 at 7:03:12 AM permalink
Nareed
And I'm sure the 1.3 GB now free will get eaten by something within a few weeks.

More like two hours.

See, i moved the Pocket ap to the sd card, but it kept storing stuff int he internal memory. Since it was set to infinite storage (ie take as much as you need, which is indefinite rather than infinite), it ate up the remaining internal memory.

Well, I had to add permissions to the ap, but managed to persuade it to use SD external storage instead.

Still, Misix had 1.3 GB free before this mishap. Afterwards it had dropped to 1 GB.
July 4th, 2017 at 9:55:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Between yesterday and today Misix's internal memory dropped from 1GB free to 0.8 GB free.

What gives?
July 4th, 2017 at 10:11:04 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Between yesterday and today Misix's internal memory dropped from 1GB free to 0.8 GB free.

What gives?
It's almost like a tax that continues while you sleep.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 4th, 2017 at 10:25:28 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

Are there any taxes that stop while you are sleeping :-)
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
July 4th, 2017 at 12:48:34 PM permalink
Nareed

Oh, not. That would be the app that uses up data and sucks up the battery. You wake up to a phone that urgently needs feeding and can't download an email or a text message.

Funny story, early on in the smart phone era, when people remembered well charging their phones only on occasion rather than several times a day, there was a free ap that would monitor battery use and tell you what's sucking up power. it turned out the monitoring ap was the biggest user of battery power.

My other phone, Gloria, sometimes begins to use up power at an alarming rate for no discernible reason. When that happens, I reboot and things go back to normal. but sometimes she'll have under 20% battery left in the morning.
July 4th, 2017 at 3:04:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Funny story, early on in the smart phone era, when people remembered well charging their phones only on occasion rather than several times a day

I don't recall the last time I had to charge my phone during the day. I put it on the charger when I go to bed and it is good all day. Rarely does it get below 50%.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 4th, 2017 at 3:54:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I don't recall the last time I had to charge my phone during the day. I put it on the charger when I go to bed and it is good all day. Rarely does it get below 50%.

You probably don't play Futurama Game of Drones and read Pocket every two hours. Plus assorted calls, texts and photos from time to time. As well as audible or podcasts, and Waze on the drive home.

Also, Gloria's over 4 years old by now (meaning she's ancient by phone standards). older batteries retain less charge.

Misix, which has the benefit of lacking a SIM chip (no calls, texts, Waze etc), as well as being only a few weeks old, does well enough with just breakfast at the office. at home she does duty with audible, Pocket and games. Plus she does get to sleep at night, unlike Gloria who's on call 24/7 (I may begin to let her sleep during my vacation).
Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>