My first smart phone.

Page 13 of 14« First<1011121314>
November 16th, 2017 at 7:52:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The new old phone has arrived. She's a Galaxy Note 5.

I'm not as excited as I should be, because over the last few months I've had to configure Misix twice and Gloria once. the prospect of once again configuring yet another phone feels like work.

The tablet will be happy to no longer be on podcast duty, though. I hope she enjoyed the Trojan War Podcast.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 16th, 2017 at 1:18:53 PM permalink
Nareed
Gloria II has Android 7. The good thing is that it's similar enough to Misix's Android 6 that they use the same home and app switcher controls.

I took screenshots of Gloria's home screen so I could set it up the same way in the new device. I counted 20 apps I need to download, plus 3 that came preloaded (FB, Maps and Gmail). I could have sworn I didn't use that many. Some are of occasional use, like Evernote. And some share daily use, like Audible and Dog Catcher (podcast player).

I expect to burn up the WiFi this evening.
November 17th, 2017 at 6:50:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Gloria II also comes with a "fast" charger. For once, the word's not misused. She charges a lot faster on it than with a regular charger.

I spent less time yesterday configuring her than I expected. A feature of Android N seems to be having google remember your passwords from other devices. Therefore for many apps you just run them and you're signed up and synced from the start. Very convenient.
November 23rd, 2017 at 3:06:59 PM permalink
Nareed
Sometimes I think I'm too easily impressed....

Gloria II comes with a case. I normally don't put cases on my phones, because they add little and tend to get in the way. One exception was my defunct iphon 4, Marina. I had a case for her that fit into the charging port, and outside could take in a regular mini USB plug. When i traveled, this spared me the necessity of bringing along an apple-specific charger and cable.

Gloria's case has a transparent(ish)cover that swings out, much like a book cover. When you close it, the screen goes to a sleep mode regardless of that was on it. But that I do like is you can actually access some controls through the cover. You can snooze or shut down alarms or calendar notifications. you can also play, pause and fast forward Audible and the podcast player. If you tap on a notification, the phone goes to it when you open the cover.

So for now I'm keeping the cover.

The downside is it doesn't hold on as well to the car's cell holder, and the cover tends to swing sometimes.
November 29th, 2017 at 7:44:05 AM permalink
Nareed
Misix's short memory is getting critical.

I've uninstalled or disabled all apps I don't want or need and which cannot be moved to external memory (SD card), and yet she keeps running out of internal memory.

I can't update any apps, and some aren't working due to insufficient memory. The latter includes Gmail, which can no longer fetch new mail.

As there is still no means of rooting the phone, all I can think of is resetting Misix and getting used to doing so every few months.
February 19th, 2018 at 8:03:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Did you ever feel you're too stupid when you figure out something smart to do?

So removing all the crapware and otherwise unwanted apps from Misix doesn't prevent her from losing ever more memory. Obviously, then, the solution is not to remove all those unwanted apps, but to leave them in so you have something to remove and gain memory when it gets low!

I reset and restored Misix two weeks ago, and began removing all the unwanted stuff. I gained quite a bit of memory, but didn't realize what i describe in the above paragraph until after I'd removed most of it.

Maybe next reset, which ought not be very long.

BTW, this makes Samsung's configuration and operation of the phone a bit less useless, but a lot more labor intensive.
February 19th, 2018 at 9:55:17 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Did you ever feel you're too stupid when you figure out something smart to do?

My screen colors inverted today, so they look like X-rays. I still have no idea how I did that, but I thought I broke it. Lo and behold it is considered an option for people with poor eyesight.
February 21st, 2018 at 3:18:31 PM permalink
Nareed
I think my tablet is dying, or at least her battery is.

These past few days her battery's been really low when I charge it mid-morning. and today it took an awful long time to charge, even considering the low level.

The Nexus 7 (2012) back cover can't be opened. So unless someone cna replace the battery for a low, low price, that's the end. Even at a low, low price, I wonder if it would be worth the hassle. She's been awful slow since Lollipop showed up, even after I managed to get Kit-Kat back. She's lasted about 5 years of daily use already.

I probably wouldn't replace her, but rather turn to my two phones instead.
September 15th, 2018 at 5:32:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I finally did it, got my first smart
fone. It's a cheap one, $40 from
Target, but it's amazing what it
can do. Especially the voice
recognition. I got tired of lugging
my laptop to the airport every
week to call Uber. I'll never use
it for anything but that, I hate
talking on the phone and texting.

ZTE 2Five C $10 a month for 250
minutes and 250 texts and 250MB
browser use.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 15th, 2018 at 5:53:46 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
A ZTE? That's funny. Chinese spy-phone!

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/05/03/pentagon-bans-sale-zte-huawei-phones-on-military-bases-report-says.html
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Page 13 of 14« First<1011121314>