My first smart phone.

June 1st, 2017 at 3:32:24 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The good news is that android Marshmallow allows you to switch "internal" storage to the SD card.

The bad news, is that Samsung's overlay on my phone blocks this functionality.

I expect in a couple of months I'll grow frustrated having to update an app at a time (long story), and tired of other annoyances that come from the low memory, and I'll decide I'm wasting much of the SD card capacity anyway, so I'll likely root the phone and set it right.

Has anyone used KingRoot?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 8th, 2017 at 1:10:51 PM permalink
Nareed
Poor Misix reached bottom yesterday.

With 450+ MB free, Android Marshmallow claimed she had insufficient memory to upgrade Facebook.

Yes, I undertsnad the upgrade involves moving the app from external to internal storage, ergo no room to dowbload a 20+ MB upgrade. "Smart" phones may be relatively new tech, but they're basically computers with a phone app now. I've been using computers for a long time.

So rooting it will be.

Not just yet. First I've got a lot of reading to do about it. But I'll probably go with KingRoot. One of my guys in IT has used it, so I know there's someone to go to for help.

I do have one enigma:

Others at the office got the same phone. One I checked had isntalled only two apps (Waze and WhatsApp), no SD card, and did put the SIM chip in. She also hasn't deleted, uninstalle dor disbaled any data or apps that came with the phone.

She has 1.6 GB free.

WTF?

Does the SIM chip carry extra memory? I know in the old feature phones, the SIM could store contacts.

The other theory I have is that even apps in the SD card affect internal memory, say by using up resources and data from the Google Play Games app, for example (needed to play several games), or affecting the OS itself, the way Windows bloats with time.

In any case, if Misisx is to achieve her (near) full potential, she'll need to have all of her memory available.

One thing I may yet do is get a data-only plan for her. It's unlikely, as I get cel data with Gloria (the other phone), have Wifi at home, and there's free Wifi in many, many places.
June 12th, 2017 at 7:00:08 AM permalink
Nareed
It turns out Kingroot has a shady reputation for stealing data. Not having a SIM chip, who cares? But it is a company phone, of sorts. So I'll likely try something else.

I got too busy cooking over the weekend, but I'll read up on rooting how-to, consequences, remedies, etc. and likely fix Misix over the next weekend.
June 20th, 2017 at 8:24:24 AM permalink
Nareed
ok, so rooting a phones is harder than I expected. I got hopelessly lost trying to follow instructions, using a Samsung tool called Odin.

So I'm back to the kingroot app as soon as I get the time to.
June 22nd, 2017 at 8:13:22 AM permalink
Nareed
The Kngroot ap lacks the means, whatever those are, for rooting my phone...

I'm getting really tired of this. I thought it would be simple.

All this, though, makes me so happy Microsoft ditched Windows 8 and spared me the need to resort to Linux.
June 26th, 2017 at 8:47:44 AM permalink
Nareed
It keeps getting harder, it seems.

Does anyone know the consequences of removing an RFP Lock from a Samsung phone? That would be the Reset Factory Protection Lock. It seems that's what not allowing the Odin Windows app to root poor Misisx.
July 2nd, 2017 at 9:32:14 AM permalink
Nareed
Long story rather short (how long? It took me the whole effing day!), This rooting business is a mess and then some.

First, removing the RFP lock is very easy. Any directions that involve downloading anything, or the use of cables, should be ignored. Second, make sure you'll be able to recover the phone if the worst happens.

The rooting seemed to work, until the phone demanded a password. I tried my Google and Samsung passwords to no avail. the site instructed to do a factory reset. I did, the phone restarted, and restarted, and restarted, and restarted, and restarted, and restarted, well, it just kept going through a rebooting loop. I managed to recover it through the Samsung PC software, though it was necessary to remove the battery in order to read the very small-print serial number.

I then had the phone working, but restored to its original, factory-new state. there was an option to restore apps from the google account. I did. Now it gets really odd. Misix downloaded about 30 apps (including many Google ones). When she was finished, I went through the apps in internal storage to 1) delete crapware, 2) disable undeletable crapware and, 3) move any movable apps to the SD card. I left intact some apps I had removed or disabled previously, such as the MS Office apps, some Google crapware (like Hangouts and Google Play Movies), I updated Google Play because the OS insisted, and then two more native Google apps. yet Misix was left with 1.3 GB free internal memory.

Seriously, WTF.

She still needs rooting. Lots of apps can't be moved to external storage (like the Starbucks app, Whatsapp and others). And I'm sure the 1.3 GB now free will get eaten by something within a few weeks.

I'll give it one more shot, and if that fails I'll try one of the semi-legit electronics stores.
July 2nd, 2017 at 10:26:43 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
And I'm sure the 1.3 GB now free will get eaten by something within a few weeks.

I'll give it one more shot, and if that fails I'll try one of the semi-legit electronics stores.
Why do phones do this?

I didn't know so I bought an sd card and installed it, hoping to be able to move these apps that I won't use in this life time. My phone won't let me move anything but pictures. I don't have room to install any ap.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
July 2nd, 2017 at 10:59:22 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: petroglyph
Why do phones do this?

Blame the makers and the carriers, not the phones. The phones are also victims here.

Quote:
I didn't know so I bought an sd card and installed it, hoping to be able to move these apps that I won't use in this life time. My phone won't let me move anything but pictures. I don't have room to install any ap.

Misix is allowed to store some aps in the SD card. but when they get updated (turn auto-update OFF, BTW), they are moved to internal storage. So TURN AUTO-UPDATE OFF. I had the same issue with my old, company-issued crappy SONY phone years ago.

What phone and OS do you have? Android Marshmallow allows designating the SD card as internal memory, but many phone manufacturers and/or carriers disable that feature. That's why I want to root Misix. And also to be able to remove unremovable aps that merely take up space.

As to why the OEMs and/or carriers do this? well the unremovable aps are so you'll use them, and often from the carrier. The rest, i suppose so you'll buy a better, and more expensive, phone; or to present the barely useful phone as the cheap alternative so you'll pay more for the more useful one.
July 2nd, 2017 at 11:35:20 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Nareed
Blame the makers and the carriers, not the phones. The phones are also victims here.
: )

Quote:
(turn auto-update OFF, BTW), they are moved to internal storage. So TURN AUTO-UPDATE OFF.
Gracias

Quote:
What phone and OS do you have?
ATT Go phone - Huawei- Android
Quote:
Android Marshmallow allows designating the SD card as internal memory,
Thats what I had hoped for, but so far it will only allow me to store photographs on the card.
Quote:
but many phone manufacturers and/or carriers disable that feature.
Aha, another conspiracy theory proven correct.

Quote:
unremovable aps are so you'll use them, and often from the carrier. The rest, i suppose so you'll buy a better, and more expensive, phone; or to present the barely useful phone as the cheap alternative so you'll pay more for the more useful one.
The aps I don't want did make me find two different ATT stores trying to find help, so at least there is that. The clerks were nice and wanted to help, but in the end only were able to sell me time on my phone. Or a new phone.

As it stands, I only have mb's left of storage and occasionally will have to clean old texts out to even be able to use the phone. I ignorantly I suppose thought, I would be able to move more material onto the sd card, which has tons of storage. Just in case I want to travel around with ten thousand photo's on my phone that takes minutes to scroll through, for each one I would want to see.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW