Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Seems just as annoying in Spanish
November 15th, 2012 at 6:55:26 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Today's SWD means "cold cut," or cold pieces of meat,

I thought it was a generic term for cold food, including some dishes served cold. You run across it in some restaurants and books. The generic term for cold cuts, including sausages and abcon, is "embutidos." You can trust me on that. We sell tons of those each month.

In the 70s there was a tupperware set that could be stacked and carried on a wire framework. It was called "fiambrera." Some people used it to carry their lunch in. Until a few years ago I still had one or two pieces left over from a set.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 15th, 2012 at 8:37:09 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
The generic term for cold cuts, including sausages and bacon, is "embutidos." You can trust me on that. We sell tons of those each month.

As a verb (presumably related to sausage)
embutir: to cram, stuff
embutirse: to force on, squeeze on
November 16th, 2012 at 8:25:20 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 16-11-12
Palabra: Soplar

Today's SWD means to blow, as in the wind blowing or blowing out candels.

Ejemplo time.

El profesor está en un humor bien porque Ginger le sopló un beso. = The professor is in a good mood because Ginger blew him a kiss.

In other news, can somebody please tell me the story behind 1946 Mexico license plate. Normally Mexican license plates are identified by state, but this one just says "Mexico" and has a picutre of the eagle fighting with the snake.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 16th, 2012 at 9:10:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin
November 16th, 2012 at 9:19:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The professor is in a good mood because Ginger blew him a kiss.

I believe that most Spanish speaking people use the verb "tirar"="to throw or fling" for this idiom. You may be translating it from English correctly, but it is not used that way.

In this video they use "Dame un beso"
November 16th, 2012 at 2:01:03 PM permalink
Pacomartin

Believe it or not, the title of this magazine is closely related to the topic of this thread. Can you guess the etymological connection without googling it?
November 16th, 2012 at 2:32:13 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Believe it or not, the title of this magazine is closely related to the topic of this thread. Can you guess the etymological connection without googling it?

I assume that glamour is related to amor (love). However, how that is connected to soplar, I don't know.
November 16th, 2012 at 4:14:28 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I assume that glamour is related to amor (love). However, how that is connected to soplar, I don't know.

No it is not related to amor. I meant the overarching topic of the thread, not the last word in particular.

It is a relatively obscure connection, and it is probably an impossible correlation to make without reading it. So I will just tell it.

In general, reading and books in the middle ages were often associated with sorcery, just as chemistry was originally associated with alchemy (turning base materials into gold). So the idea of "grammar" was associated with forbidden knowledge. Grammar was an ancestor of the word "Grimoire" which refered to a witches book, or a book of spells. The word "grammar" was changed to "glamour" in Scotland, and it referred to things that supernaturally attractive or compelling or a sense of "magical beauty". Eventually the supernatural aspect to the word was lost, and the meaning of the word became what we know today, a life of compelling beauty and attraction.

So "grammar" and "glamour" are cognates. For most people there is nothing as unglamorous as "grammar".

November 17th, 2012 at 4:32:17 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
So "grammar" and "glamour" are cognates. For most people there is nothing as unglamorous as "grammar".

¡Que interestante!

I wonder what the #1 thing is that the magazine cover is referring to. Whatever it is, I probably don't know about it.