Spanish Word of the Day

November 17th, 2012 at 4:36:48 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Today's SWD means to blow, as in the wind blowing or blowing out candels.

It also means to pass someone an answer, as in a test or a quiz show.

Quote:
El profesor está en un humor bien porque Ginger le sopló un beso. = The professor is in a good mood because Ginger blew him a kiss.

"..está DE BUEN HUMOR..."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 17th, 2012 at 11:29:26 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 17-11-12
Palabra: estremecer

Today's SWD means to shiver/shake. A related word is mecer, which means to rock.

The question for the advanced readers is what does the prefix "estre" do to a word in general?

Ejemplo time.

Me estremeciste toda la noche. = You shook me all night long.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 17th, 2012 at 11:32:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I wonder what the #1 thing is that the magazine cover is referring to.

The second Very is underlined, so I assume that the answer is to include diamond jewelry. Which may make it very very good for the woman, but not so much for the guy.

Estoy muy cínico.
November 19th, 2012 at 7:46:41 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 19-11-12
Palabra: Cimarrón

Today's SWD means feral/wild. It can also mean a slave. In the book I came across the word it was a translation from Mustang, but the dictionaries don't seem to support that usage. There is also a Cimarron Blvd in Las Vegas, quite close to where I live.

The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contast cimarrón y salvaje.

Ejemplo time.

Cerdos cimarrónes deben comer todos los pasteles de Mary Ann. = Wild pigs must be eating all of Mary Ann's pies.
November 19th, 2012 at 5:18:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The question for the advanced readers is to compare and contast cimarrón y salvaje.

The words came from different languages. The word "cimarrón" is from the Taino Indians who used to be the peaceful tribe in the Caribbean , while the "salvaje" is Provençal and/or Catalan.

They may or may not use the word "cimarrón" in Europe.

November 19th, 2012 at 5:29:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
The words came from different languages. The word "cimarrón" is from the Taino Indians who used to be the peaceful tribe in the Caribbean , while the "salvaje" is Provençal and/or Catalan.

Here is a question I think only you would appreciate. What was the first word introduced into everyday English from the Australian aborigines?

BTW, I used to know a guy well who was a roommate of Van Damme, before he was famous.
November 19th, 2012 at 6:18:15 PM permalink
Nareed
Today's SWD means feral/wild.

It's one of those terms I call non-words. That is, no one uses it, but everyone recognizes it. IN this case probably no one knows what it means, either.

Quote:
It can also mean a slave.

I didn't find that in the dictionary definition...

Quote:

It seems the former would be applied more to animals.

Quote:
Cerdos cimarrónes deben comer todos los pasteles de Mary Ann. = Wild pigs must be eating all of Mary Ann's pies.

Actually you said "Wild pigs must eat all of Mary Ann's pies." What you want is "...deben haberse comido..."
November 19th, 2012 at 6:19:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Here is a question I think only you would appreciate. What was the first word introduced into everyday English from the Australian aborigines?

G'day? :P

Quote:
BTW, I used to know a guy well who was a roommate of Van Damme, before he was famous.

So who's the famous guy you know? ;)
November 19th, 2012 at 6:51:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
It's one of those terms I call non-words. That is, no one uses it, but everyone recognizes it. IN this case probably no one knows what it means, either.

There are literally dozens of references that use this word in movies, books, geographic names and songs. But they are all by Anglos talking about Latino culture.

Oscar winning film from the early years of "talkies".
November 20th, 2012 at 7:42:32 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Thanks for the video! Did you know I'm a big Emmylou Harris fan?

Fecha: 20-11-12
Palabra: Motear

Today's SWD means to speckle/mark with spots.

Ejemplo time (with due credit to Spanish Mike).

Mi gato es muy moteado. = My cat is very spotted.