Spanish Word of the Day

July 20th, 2014 at 10:15:02 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Thank you, but I feel that sentence needs a preposition.

No, it doesn't. it's all passive action, not a an action perfromed on a subject.

Quote:
How do you translate the "to" in "It is very bad luck to drop the baton."?

"To drop" is the infinitive, and that's what's used in Spanish.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 29th, 2014 at 6:46:34 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 29-7-14
Palabra: cigüeña

Today's SWD is an interesting one in that it has two diacritical marks. That may come up in a trivia question sometime (hint).

The word means stork. I saw it in reference to a pregnancy story in the Spanish edition of People magazine, and mentioned the stork knocking on the door, I presume to deliver the baby.

The question for the advanced readers is whether other there are other fables for where babies come from in other Latin American countries.

As I very vaguely recall, my mother said that in Germany the legend has it that sometimes babies turn up in a cabbage patch somehow.

Ejemplo time.

La cigüeña entregó un conejo. = The stork delivered a rabbit.

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 29th, 2014 at 11:09:57 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Fecha: 29-7-14 Palabra: cigüeña
Today's SWD is an interesting one in that it has two diacritical marks. That may come up in a trivia question sometime (hint).

A word with a tilde and an accent is "compañía". I don't know if there is a word with all three marks.

The double dot (2nd derivative) is sometimes called a diaeresis from Ancient Greek: διαίρεσις, meaning division, separation, distinction. In Spanish it is often called a tréma from Ancient Greek τρῆμα (trêma, “hole”), from τετραίνω (tetraínō, “perforate”), used for the dots on dice. The symbol is often called an umlaut which is German for "around/changed" (um-) "sound" (Laut).

Despite using the same symbol, a diaeresis represents the phenomenon also known as a hiatus, in which a vowel letter is not pronounced as part of a digraph or diphthong. The umlaut , in contrast, indicates a sound shift. So it is actually incorrect to use the word 'umlaut' in reference to Romance languages.

In Spanish it is only used above the letter 'u', and indicates that letter 'u' is pronounced.
July 30th, 2014 at 7:29:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The double dot (2nd derivative) is sometimes called a diaeresis from Ancient Greek: διαίρεσις, meaning division, separation, distinction. In Spanish it is often called a tréma

In Spanish it's called "diéresis." It's really rather rare. I favor changing how the G works, and perhaps replacing the gü combo with w.
July 30th, 2014 at 8:13:46 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
A word with a tilde and an accent is "compañía".

Accents in Spanish are no big deal.

Fecha: 30-7-14
Palabra: Galán

Today's SWD means an attractive young man.

The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with gallo (rooster).

Ejemplo time.

Las mujeres volven loca para un galán vestido afilado. = The women go crazy for a sharp dressed man.
July 30th, 2014 at 10:10:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Las mujeres volven loca para un galán vestido afilado. = The women go crazy for a sharp dressed man.

I think if you did all the acrued push-ups, you'd produce enough energy to power a home for one day.

"Las mujeres ENLOQUECEN POR un galán BIEN vestido."

Today this translation is good. A few decades back it woulnd't have been. Today galán means "hunk." A few years back it meant "dandy," which implied being well-dressed.
July 30th, 2014 at 4:26:51 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with gallo (rooster).

I don't think so. Etymonline says English "gallant" comes from Old French "galant" which in turn comes from "galer" which means to rub or scratch, and at the same time "to enjoy oneself". So it is possible they are related in proto Indo European.
July 30th, 2014 at 10:33:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 31-7-14
Palabra: Plasmar

Today's SWD means to give expression to/reflect/shape/mold.

The question for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English word plasma.

¿Por que me plasmaste como así? = Why hast thou made me thus? -- Romans 9:20
July 31st, 2014 at 7:25:35 AM permalink
Nareed
¿Por que me plasmaste como así? = Why hast thou made me thus? -- Romans 9:20

This is a tricky word to tranlsate. "Immortalized" might be closer to the real usage meaning, maybe "depict" or "made manifest" as well. It does not mean "to make."

In any case, the "como" is superfluous and confusing. And the sentence feels more like "Why did you depict me this way?" It sounds as tough you're complaining to an artist about a portrait.
July 31st, 2014 at 7:28:22 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
And the sentence feels more like "Why did you depict me this way?" It sounds as tough you're complaining to an artist about a portrait.

That is what it was supposed to mean. I don't want to start a bible study, but Romans chapter 9 puts it in context.