Spanish Word of the Day

May 9th, 2016 at 5:15:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Pemex was created on March 18, 1938 when President Lázaro Cárdenas (1934–40) expropriated all resources and facilities, nationalizing the United States and Anglo–Dutch operating companies. He in theory was siding oil workers looking for an increase in pay and social services. But even though the companies were taken over the workers never got their pay increase.

The travel club was created within two years, and printed brochures, magazines, and various collectibles llike license plate holders.

Presumably the market for Mexican travel dropped in December 1941 with the bombing of Pearl Harbor.

Autobuses de Oriente, (usually known as A.D.O.) was founded with six buses on December 23, 1939 on the route Mexico City-Puebla-Perote-Jalapa-Veracruz. In 1939 there was relatively little demand for transport, the roads were dangerous, there were no terminals or repair shops.

From first autopista opened on 1 November 1958 until 9 January 1989 less than 500 miles of tolled limited access highway was opened on seven routes. A shockingly limited amount of highway compared to a nearly completed Interstate system in USA.

1) 174.1 miles Northwest to state of Querétaro
México - Querétaro 1 November 1958 175.45 km
Querétaro - Irapuato 12 February 1962 104.75

2) 176.7 miles to the states of Puebla and on to Veracruz
México - Puebla 5 May 1962 110.91
Puebla - Acatzingo 29 May 1966 38.55
Acatzingo - Ciudad Mendoza 29 May 1966 95.60
Ciudad Mendoza - Córdoba 29 December 1969 39.30

3) 28.5 miles to state of Hidalgo
México - Tizayuca 11 November 1964 45.80

4) 22.1 miles to state of Cuernavaca down steep mountains
La Pera - Cuautla 18 June 1965 34.17

5) 55.6 miles Northern Baja near California
Tijuana - Ensenada 25 April 1967 89.54

6) 16.2 miles to East of Guadalajara
Guadalajara - Zapotlanejo 29 November 1969 26.00

7) 22.1 miles shortcut to Puerto Vallarta
Chapalilla - Compostela 17 August 1973 35.50

Finally, under the presidency of Carlos Salinas de Gortari , a Mexican economist and politician , who served as President of Mexico from 1988 to 1994, was a significant mileage of limited access highway built (over 2500 miles in six years).

His presidency ended with him stealing hundreds of millions of dollars, the murder of his successor, Luis Donaldo Colosio on March 23, 1994 in Tijuana, the collapse of the peso, and the subsequent massive jump in tolls as the debt was dollar denominated.

So during the time of the PEMEX travel club, you had to be pretty adventerous to drive in Mexico.
May 9th, 2016 at 8:04:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Thank you. I can't ask for a better answer than that.

Quote: Pacomartin
Finally, under the presidency of Carlos Salinas de Gortari , a Mexican economist and politician , who served as President of Mexico from 1988 to 1994, was a significant mileage of limited access highway built (over 2500 miles in six years).

His presidency ended with him stealing hundreds of millions of dollars, the murder of his successor, Luis Donaldo Colosio on March 23, 1994 in Tijuana, the collapse of the peso, and the subsequent massive jump in tolls as the debt was dollar denominated.

Uh, oh. I seem to recall Nareed defending Salinas about five years ago.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 10th, 2016 at 3:56:25 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
Uh, oh. I seem to recall Nareed defending Salinas about five years ago.

It is a mixed "defense" at best. But I think Nareed's position is held by many well educated Mexicans. He was responsible for shaking up traditional Mexican politics.

Quote: Nareed (July 3rd, 2012 )
Salinas was, in fact, a good president all things considered. But he was too corrupt and he engaged in crony "capitalism." He did leave the finances in shambles, but he also privatized lots of industries, including the banks, and that was huge. He negotiated NAFTA as well. The big devaluationa dn crisis in 1995 rests partly on him, but also partly on Ernesto Zedillo. it's true the peso had to fall, but it didn't have to be misshandled as badly as Zedillo did.

Nareed meant to say the peso crisis of 1994. That is important because Zedillo became president on 1 December 1994 and by 20 December the peso devaluation began. So Zedillo never had his honeymoon and he was anxious to blame Salinas.

Quote: Kerry A. Dolan from Forbes
In the late 1990s when she was running the Forbes World Billionaires’ list, Mexicans would ask me why the list didn’t include former Mexican President Carlos Salinas de Gortari . Salinas was rumored to have benefited from privatizations of large state companies like phone company Telmex –but this was never proven.

In January 1999, after a four-year trial, Salinas's older brother Raúl Salinas de Gortari was convicted of ordering the murder of the PRI official (and Salinas brother-in-law) Jose Francisco Ruiz Massieu and sentenced to 50 years in prison. In July 1999, an appeals court cut the sentence to 27 1/2 years. In June 2005 the conviction was overturned, and Raúl Salinas was freed.

Salinas was very popular in Mexico up to the end of his term. But the peso crashed within weeks of the new President Zedillo. Zedillo naturally blamed Salinas for nearly everything, and the rumors began that Salinas had stolen a billion dollars.

Salinas lives in Ireland and has only been back to Mexico briefly. But that is not unusual. Zedillo left the country as well, and lives in CT and works at Yale.

May 10th, 2016 at 7:26:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
4) 22.1 miles to state of Cuernavaca down steep mountains
La Pera - Cuautla 18 June 1965 34.17

The photo doesn't convey how dangerous that curve is. Besides the close hairpin turn, it begins near the bottom of a really steep descent. It's very hard on the brakes. On the way back you take it going up, so it's much easier.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 30th, 2016 at 12:01:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin

What is this phenomena called in Spanish? A pair of bright spots on either horizontal side on the Sun, created by light interacting with ice crystals in the atmosphere.
September 30th, 2016 at 6:37:11 AM permalink
Nareed
What is this phenomena called in Spanish? A pair of bright spots on either horizontal side on the Sun, created by light interacting with ice crystals in the atmosphere.

I'll go with an old reliable: NPI

That means "Ni P**a Idea," or "No F***ing Clue."

Sorry.
September 30th, 2016 at 1:32:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
In Latin they are called parhelion (singular) or parhelia (plural) from Greek (pará + hḗlios) or ("near"+ “sun”). So the scientific name is straight forward and has a relatively literal translation of (parhelio, sol de apariencia) in an English to Spanish dictionary.

They are two images of the sun on the left and right caused by ice crystals. The photo was taken near Fargo North Dakota where it is probably colder than anywhere in Mexico, so it may be a very rare phenomena in Mexico.

On the other hand, the much higher altitude of Mexican cities may cause ice crystals more often than in American cities. I remember it hailing in Guadalajara when it wasn't really that cold. I don't know if you get hail in Mexico City.

For some unknown reason they are also called "sun dogs". The Oxford English Dictionary states the phrase as being "of obscure origin". I was just curious if the alternate name carried over to Spanish
September 30th, 2016 at 2:10:18 PM permalink
Nareed
On the other hand, the much higher altitude of Mexican cities may cause ice crystals more often than in American cities. I remember it hailing in Guadalajara when it wasn't really that cold. I don't know if you get hail in Mexico City.

Hail forms in the upper atmosphere, within the clouds. It's common even in summer. The upper atmosphere is always cold. Snow and sleet form on the way down from the clouds, and thus they only take place when it's cold.
September 30th, 2016 at 4:21:08 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Hail forms in the upper atmosphere, within the clouds. It's common even in summer. The upper atmosphere is always cold. Snow and sleet form on the way down from the clouds, and thus they only take place when it's cold.

I did not know that!

So presumably if you live at high altitudes you are much more likely to get hail because it has less time to melt and turn into rain.

I was surprised in Guadalajara because although it was chilly, it was hardly cold. Suddenly this hail started pelting us.
October 1st, 2016 at 5:47:47 AM permalink
Nareed
I did not know that!

Here's a rather good link explaining it: https://weather.com/storms/severe/news/how-hail-forms