Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
Try again.

Pensé que tú gustaría el video.

Quote:
"Querer" in relation to things usually means "want"

Didn't we have a huge argument whether the Taco Bell dog wants or loves Taco Bell? I've asked lots of Spanish speakers this question and nearly all of them say he loves Taco Bell.

I know you hate clicking on Spanish music videos but this one is a Spanish version of I Don't know how to Love Him, translated as No Se Como Quererle .
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 1st, 2012 at 4:05:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Pensé que tú gustaría el video.

Still wrong.

Quote:
Didn't we have a huge argument whether the Taco Bell dog wants or loves Taco Bell? I've asked lots of Spanish speakers this question and nearly all of them say he loves Taco Bell.

And if all those Spanish speakers jumped off a bridge...?

Quote:
I know you hate clicking on Spanish music videos but this one is a Spanish version of I Don't know how to Love Him, translated as No Se Como Quererle .

A song in Spanish, strike one
A song with religious content, strike two
A song translated to Spanish, strike three

That's, let's see.... carry the one.... to the fourth power.... add three... square root of minus two.... call it ten push-ups even ;)

For the record, I did not click on it. In fact, I sanitized the quote. Go on. Click on the quoted link.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 1st, 2012 at 11:46:20 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

I think that there is no end to this discussion. They are three different words with completely different histories.

The word want is an Old Norse word that originally only referred to "deficiency". Through want and hard hunger they gnaw the dry ground by night in waste and desolation. For over 500 years the word "want" had exclusively this meaning. The word acquired the meaning of "desire" only about 300 years ago.

We are perfectly comfortable saying "I love hamburgers" and "I love my wife" even though we mean two radically different definitions. The word "love" is based on Old English.

The RAE definitions of Spanish word querer are (1)Desear o apetecer. and (2) Amar, tener cariño, voluntad o inclinación a alguien o algo. The original Latin word is quaero which means
I seek, look for
I ask, question, inquire.
I strive for; endeavor; seek to obtain
I miss, lack
I desire, require

"Quaerendo invenietis" <=> "By seeking ye shall find."

There seems to be a broad enough range of meaning for the English words, that you can't say that one word is the definitive translation for the Spanish word.
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:33:17 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
The original Latin word is quaero which means
I seek, look for
I ask, question, inquire.
I strive for; endeavor; seek to obtain
I miss, lack
I desire, require.

If those were my desires for Taco Bell I would have no problem saying "I love Taco Bell." I might also feel that strongly for the smell of napalm.

Nevertheless, I must admit that I asked my tutor about this yesterday. She said the dog wanted Taco Bell. I pressed her on why she didn't say "love." She didn't give a very straight answer, but did mention that when querer is used for a thing, it generally means "want." If you're trying to say you love a thing you would probably use encantar or amar. I asked her why but she basically said "that is just how people talk."
November 2nd, 2012 at 3:46:02 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 2-11-12
Palabra: Arrepentirse

In honor of the confessional thread, today's word means to be sorry/regret/repent. Pretty easy cognate, as "repent" is right there is the middle of it.

Ejemplo time.

Dios, me muy arrepento por te había ofendido. = O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you.

Sorry, I have no idea how to translate "o." I'm sure that is the least of my problems with that sentence.

Trivia time!

Where is my ejemplo from?
November 2nd, 2012 at 4:20:36 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Fecha: 2-11-12
Palabra: Arrepentirse

In honor of the confessional thread, today's word means to be sorry/regret/repent. Pretty easy cognate, as "repent" is right there is the middle of it.

Ejemplo time.

Dios, me muy arrepento por te había ofendido. = O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended you.

Sorry, I have no idea how to translate "o." I'm sure that is the least of my problems with that sentence.

Trivia time!

Where is my ejemplo from?

Act of Contrition
This space for rent
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:14:27 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

I should refuse to help on principle....

Here, I'll do the other one:

Quote:

"Oh"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
November 2nd, 2012 at 6:53:52 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
FarFromVegas got it. I should learn that prayer in Spanish.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 2nd, 2012 at 7:18:10 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: FrGamble

Two of my husband's seminary classmates went on to become Spanish teachers. Much more practical than Latin, I suppose!
This space for rent
November 2nd, 2012 at 7:48:12 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: FrGamble

Father, do you think the bishop above you would permit you to take some time to take up the language? I'm sure knowing it would be a useful talent for you to have.
Page 3 of 223<123456>Last »