Spanish Word of the Day

December 29th, 2016 at 8:58:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
I'll have to use Google Translate then, which says Gráfico circular.

Might be. Pie's not popular in Mexico, and there isn't an agreed spelling (neither is there one for yoghurt, yhogurt, yogurt, yogurt).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
December 30th, 2016 at 2:39:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I do wonder why there isn't a French substitute for "chicken."

"Poultry" is an English word from the 1200's that comes from French. The French ultimately got it from Latin "pullus" which originally meant not just a chick, but had a broader meaning which included "foal".

Descendants of "pullus"
English: pullet
Spanish: pollo, polla
French: poule, poulet
Italian: pollo
Portuguese: polo/pôlo, polho (via Spanish)
Romanian: pui, pulă
Romansh: pula, poulet, pulschain
Greek: πουλί ‎(poulí), -πουλος ‎(-poulos)
Catalan: poll, polla, pollet
Albanian: pulë
Aromanian: pulj, puljiu
Asturian: pollu
Franco-Provençal: pola, polèt
Friulian: poleç
Galician: polo
Istro-Romanian: puľ
Megleno-Romanian: pul'u
Sardinian: pudhu, pudha, puddu, pudda
Sicilian: puddu
Tunisian Arabic: فلّوس ‎(fellus)
December 30th, 2016 at 6:45:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
"Poultry" is an English word from the 1200's that comes from French.

Interesting.

My point, though, was that at a restaurant people order chicken regularly, but no one orders cow.

Consider, too, maybe horse isn't very popular in English-speaking countries, simply because there is no French-derived word for horse meat ;)
December 30th, 2016 at 7:32:22 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
My point, though, was that at a restaurant people order chicken regularly, but no one orders cow.

I never thought of that. I suspect it is because "poultry" sounds like an industry term. It would be like an average person using the word "gaming" instead of "gambling."
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
December 30th, 2016 at 2:53:02 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I suppose in one sense the Latinate/French words are often greater sounding, but in another sense they are more specific. Poultry is more specific and envisions the industry. Chicken is more generic.

Look at different words that are synonymous with the adjctive "big". The Latin words are generally more specific to certain types of nouns.

Anglo Saxon derived words
big,great, tall,broad,

Latin/ French derived words
enormous, huge, immense, gigantic, vast, colossal, gargantuan, large, sizable, grand, substantial, astronomical, ample, expansive
January 24th, 2017 at 12:24:45 AM permalink
Pacomartin

In English the name for this type of construction where rocks are held in a cage of wire is "gabbion", which is a loanword from Italian "gabbione" which is ultimately from Latin "cavea".

It's not a common kind of construction, as simple mortar is more often used to hold rocks together. In public places a vandal with a pair of wire cutters can do a lot of damage. It still makes an attractive residential construction where danger of vandalism is minimal.

The translation of cage in S-E dictionary is "jaula", but I don't know if it is appropriate in this case. What do you call this type of construction in Mexican Spanish?
January 24th, 2017 at 6:29:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The translation of cage in S-E dictionary is "jaula", but I don't know if it is appropriate in this case. What do you call this type of construction in Mexican Spanish?

The word for cage is jaula(*) as to types of construction, I'm plain lost.

A fancy word for classroom is "aula." At my old school's old building, some classrooms had a plaque saying "Esta aula fue donada por..." (This classroom was donated by....) Want to bet how many of these got a "j" tacked on? The means were creative, ranging from glued pieces of paper, to putty, to a superglued metal "j" someone did at shop class.
January 25th, 2017 at 1:22:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
The word for cage is jaula(*) as to types of construction, I'm plain lost..

I found a website where they use the word "gaviónes".

El primer proyecto de estructura de gavión para contención de Maccaferri se construyó en 1893 para las orillas del río Reno en Casalecchio. Maccaferri es conocida como el líder en el mercado de gaviones y colchones. Nuestra herencia provee unos cimientos de experiencia y credibilidad. Contáctenos en Maccaferri para obtener ayuda con su próximo diseño de muro de gavión.

http://www.maccaferri.com/mx/productos/gaviones/
March 10th, 2017 at 7:59:50 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
André Rieu is playing the Auditorio Nacional in Mexico City September 18-20. Anyone interesting in going? Click the link if you're not familiar with who he is.

I'm happy to announce that Andre Rieu is making a short U.S. tour late this year. Here are the dates. Anyone interested in joining me to see him in Phoenix?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 31st, 2017 at 11:16:10 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I'm happy to announce that Andre Rieu is making a short U.S. tour late this year. Here are the dates. Anyone interested in joining me to see him in Phoenix?

He has added a Las Vegas date the day after Phoenix

OCTOBER 20 Las Vegas, NV Orleans Arena ($39-$93.58)