June 11th, 2017 at 2:55:25 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Gracias por la foto de lindo gato.
June 11th, 2017 at 6:58:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
It is in a Spanish translation of an English book I'm reading for dry cleaner.

Quote: Nareed
TintoRERía. If you don't believe me, click on your link.

I can only find "tintoría" as an Italian word.
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/tintoria

The meaning is identical to Spanish word, "tintorería" or "dry cleaner" (the shop, not the person).
June 11th, 2017 at 7:08:28 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Fleastiff

I think it is "Gracias para la foto de lindo gato"

If you ask anyone what the hardest thing about learning Spanish is, they will probably tell you 1. the subjunctive, 2. ser and estar, and 3. para and por. Para and por are especially frustrating because while they each have a variety of meanings, the easiest translation for both is "for."
http://www.spanishdict.com/answers/100035/para-and-por#.WT1M7fErK1g
June 11th, 2017 at 7:38:55 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Pacomartin
Google don't think dat. You are intelligent, well-educated and of Spanish heritage, but Google is always right!

>>If you ask anyone what the hardest thing about learning Spanish is, they will probably tell you 1. the subjunctive,
Subjunctive? I know that in French il fau que takes the subjunctive and I know that in Boston schrod ain't the pluperfect subjunctive, its a type of fish, but I sure don't know what the subjunctive is anyway.

I'd be afraid to try to use a language wherein there were so many regionalisms that can utterly transform a word and even make it an insult. At least if you have a language guide in your hand they would be less likely to kill a gringo. In Miami I used to order "cafe con leche con grande" which of course made no sense at all, as I well knew, but it got me what I wanted, let them know I didn't speak Spanish and let them know that I was trying to be courteous by attempting it.
June 11th, 2017 at 8:14:12 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Not sure where I should put this, but I imagine the readers of this thread care very much about the plight of Mexico. I read a heart wrenching article about the state of the violence there and the failed strategy of the Mexican government. I am heart broken. Please someone tell me the article is wrong or that there is some hope for the Mexican people.

Mexican War is hell
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
June 11th, 2017 at 8:51:14 AM permalink
Fleastiff
The concept of a Mexican government is archaic. Its drug lord versus drug lord.
June 11th, 2017 at 11:14:41 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff

gato lindo. Remember to put the adjective after the noun (in most cases). Props for correctly using por instead of para (an easy mistake to make) and matching the adjective to the gender of the noun.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 11th, 2017 at 11:17:51 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: FrGamble
Not sure where I should put this, ...

Nareed would certainly be the one to address this the best. From what little I know, Mexico is getting better. Maybe a gringo tourist like me doesn't see warring drug cartels but having had dozens of trips to Mexico over my life I just feel that its safer and wealthier than it used to be. Of course, they still have a long ways to go.
June 11th, 2017 at 12:32:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Wizard
gato lindo. Remember to put the adjective after the noun (in most cases). Props for correctly using por instead of para (an easy mistake to make) and matching the adjective to the gender of the noun.
I think you mean props for doing a cut and paste from Google Translate wherein I typed "cute-cat".
June 11th, 2017 at 12:46:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin

I'm quite sure it is por. At the end of my Spanish lessons I sometimes incorrectly thanked my tutor with para and she always corrected me on that.