Spanish Word of the Day

July 3rd, 2017 at 11:08:56 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
Well, encabezar is not a transitive verb, therefore "a" is the wrong preposition to use. So: encabeza el equipo que busca plátanos.

I believe encabezar is a transitive verb since it takes a direct object.

Gilligan encabeza el equipo a buscar plátanos. - Gilligan leads the team to look for bananas.
Gilligan encabeza el equipo que busca plátanos. - Gilligan leads the team looking for bananas.

I think the problem is that English is more forgiving of using different verb forms. It doesn't sound awful to say "to look" (infinitive form), but it probably sounds terrible in Spanish.
July 3rd, 2017 at 11:18:25 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Debería haber hecho un viraje a la izquierda a Albuquerque. = I should have made a left turn at Albuquerque.

I won't get into what word is the one used (hint: it's not on your post), and I'm not one to give sound grammar advice most times. But I will this time: Mind your prepositions.

above you're saying "..should have made a left turn to Albuquerque." The right preposition here is "EN"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 3rd, 2017 at 11:27:24 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I think the problem is that English is more forgiving of using different verb forms. It doesn't sound awful to say "to look" (infinitive form), but it probably sounds terrible in Spanish.

Transitiveness is not a matter of meaning but of use.

The verb caminar has only one meaning, and it's non-transitive. In English it has the same meaning, but it's transitive (to walk a dog, for example).
July 3rd, 2017 at 5:53:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Transitiveness is not a matter of meaning but of use.

The verb caminar has only one meaning, and it's non-transitive. In English it has the same meaning, but it's transitive (to walk a dog, for example).

The dictionary says it can be used as an intransitive or as a transitive verb. I often find that dictionaries say you can use a verb in a certain way, but native language speakers think it is bizarre.

But you are correct that English speaker regularly use "walk" as a transitive verb, an intransitive verb, a noun, with verb phrases (walk off with my girl) and idiomatic phrases (take a walk).

Walk is one of the oldest verbs in the English language. From Old English wealcan "to toss, roll, move round" and 2. wealcian "to roll up, curl,"

Quote: Copyright © 2016 Curiosity Media Inc.
caminar

INTRANSITIVE VERB
1. (to travel on foot)
a. to walk
Voy caminando al colegio todos los días. I walk to school every day.
2. (to function) (Latin America)
a. to work
La lavadora no camina. The washing machine doesn't work.

TRANSITIVE VERB
3. (to travel on foot)
a. to walk
Cuanto más rápido sea tu ritmo, más rápido caminarás las cinco millas. The faster your pace, the faster you'll walk the five miles.
July 3rd, 2017 at 6:15:00 PM permalink
Pacomartin
I think we talked about this before, but of the 25 most common verbs in the English language, only two are of Latin origin and are similar to the Spanish verbs (usar

"trier" is still a verb in French, but not in Spanish. I think "intentar" is the closest meaning.

1 Be
2 Have
3 Do
4 Say
5 Get
6 Make
7 Go
8 Know
9 Take
10 See
11 Come
12 Think
13 Look
14 Want
15 Give
16 Use <====== Latin origin
17 Find
18 Tell
19 Ask
20 Work
21 Seem
22 Feel
23 Try <====== Latin origin
24 Leave
25 Call
July 3rd, 2017 at 7:18:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I think we talked about this before, but of the 25 most common verbs in the English language, only two are of Latin origin and are similar to the Spanish verbs

I'm surprised that "run" isn't on that list, which has numerous usages. I could run on all day about it.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 3rd, 2017 at 11:26:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
I'm surprised that "run" isn't on that list, which has numerous usages. I could run on all day about it.

The verb list I gave you is based on the evidence of the Oxford English Corpus, which currently contains over 2 billion words. There are other word frequency lists.

Usually the word frequency list has to include "lemmas" like you would see in a dictionary. For instance the lemma "be" includes "am, are, is, was, were, be, & being" which are just conjugations of the verb "to be". Also you have to exclude uses of the same word when used as a noun instead of a verb. Also there are "phrasal verbs" that have unique meanings.

12 Phrasal Verbs With RUN
Run After
Run Around
Run Away
Run For
Run Into
Run Off
Run On
Run Out Of
Run Over
Run Through
Run Up
Run With

But the verb "run" would normally be in the top 50 verbs of most frequency lists.

For example comparing verbs in the Corpus of Contemporary American English as opposed to the Oxford English Corpus was get some slight deviation although the top four are identical.

Oxford English has 'get' as #5 and 'go' as #7. American English has 'go' as #5 and 'get' as #7. The verb "can" is surprisingly high in American English and not even in the top 25 in Oxford English. Perhaps phrases like "Can I help you?" are more common in American English.

At some point a corpus of the spoken word would differ from the written word, but it is much more difficult to organize billions of spoken words.

American    Oxford
1    be    be
2    have    have
3    do    do
4    say    say
5    go    get
6    can    make
7    get    go
8    would    know
9    make    take
10    know    see
11    will    come
12    think    think
13    take    look
14    see    want
15    come    give
16    could    use
17    want    find
18    look    tell
19    use    ask
20    find    work
21    give    seem
22    tell    feel
23    work    try
24    may    leave
25    should    call
26    call
27    try
28    ask
29    need
30    feel
31    become
32    leave
33    put
34    mean
35    keep
36    let
37    begin
38    seem
39    help
40    talk
41    turn
42    start
43    might
44    show
45    hear
46    play
47    run

Both lists have "use" as the most common verb that came from Latin . The verb "use" replaced the O.E. verb "brucan" (which survives as the verb brook "to tolerate, put up with something unpleasant"). Strangely enough the original word "brucan" meant both "use" and "enjoy".
July 4th, 2017 at 7:45:00 AM permalink
Nareed
But you are correct that English speaker regularly use "walk" as a transitive verb, an intransitive verb, a noun, with verb phrases (walk off with my girl) and idiomatic phrases (take a walk).

English is far more versatile than most other languages because 1) it's a true bastard tongue, descended from proto-Germanic but having borrowed heavily from many other languages, 2) it has a limited set of conjugations, which allows for multiple uses for the same, and 3) it lacks an official authority to police its use.

Consider simple present tense conjugations of to walk:

Spanish:

Yo camino
Tu caminas
Usted camina
Ella/El camina
Nosotros caminamos
Ustedes caminan
Ellos caminan

English:

I walk
You walk
She/It/He walks
We walk
You walk
They walk

See what I mean?
July 4th, 2017 at 9:31:42 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Definition of phrasal verb
Phrasal verbs are constructed by adding a preposition or an adverb to the main verb.
Main verb + preposition/adverb = new meaning
Blow + up = explode
Flip + out = go crazy
Take + off = leave the ground

See, it’s easy. And it’s the same thing in Spanish. A preposition (de, con, and a are the most common) is added to a main verb to change the meaning of the verb. Take for example reírse. Reírse mean “to laugh.” But when you add the preposition de to it, reírse de, it means “to make fun of” or “to laugh at someone or something.”

Reírse + de = to make fun of, to laugh at
Me reí del chiste. (I laughed at the joke.)

Walk is part of one of the most common phrasal verbs in English; "walk in on" or "walked in on".

Is there an equivalent in Spanish? Google translate uses a different verb. The verb "entered" doesn't seem to carry the same implication of shock and surprise.

When I was age 13 I discovered my first Playboy and then my mother "walked in on" me.
Cuando tenía 13 años descubrí mi primer Playboy y luego mi madre entró en mí. - Google translate
July 4th, 2017 at 9:45:21 AM permalink
Nareed
When I was age 13 I discovered my first Playboy and then my mother "walked in on" me.
Cuando tenía 13 años descubrí mi primer Playboy y luego mi madre entró en mí. - Google translate

Google claims your mother penetrated you.

So I'm assuming she found the dildo as well as the Playboy :)