Occulus Rift

Page 1 of 212>
April 3rd, 2014 at 1:25:43 AM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 119
Posts: 5368
Facebook guy purchases Oculus Rift. I forgot where I saw the following quote. May have been by the one of the creator's of Minecraft. To paraphrase: the system is a powerful experience and sells itself on viewing. You get the idea watching this compilation. I'm not sure what I will do with one. Perhaps go into the Matrix and never come back.

No one has ever proven I am not God.
April 3rd, 2014 at 3:45:13 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Member since: Oct 28, 2012
Threads: 75
Posts: 1605
Cool

I wonder how good a bet it is whether someone can keep standing ... clearly you have bystanders curious about this.

In one of the Star Trek spinoffs they had a room you went into for very futuristic, advanced virtual reality. People took their vacations that way. It was total adventure.

You almost have to think that it is a necessary development if long spacetrips are ever possible.
The light at the end of the tunnel is often a freight train coming the other way! per Fleastiff
April 3rd, 2014 at 1:58:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 744
Posts: 8747
You would think they would be smart enough to shoot a video like that with beautiful girls instead of chunky guys,
April 3rd, 2014 at 2:30:33 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
Quote: Pacomartin
You would think they would be smart enough to shoot a video like that with beautiful girls instead of chunky guys,


There's been some research that depth cues used by men different from that used by women. Men use parallax while women use shading (I generalize a lot here). The former is much easier to do, as the latter for good VR requires understanding not just of the relative position of the eyeballs but also the small scale flickering our eyes do when we look at an image.

Thus many more women find VR systems, and the Rift, very uncomfortable to use, to the point of nausea.

The research is specially interesting, as it suggests that there is a hormone component to the VR parsing, where people of in testosterone boosting treatments (in the case female to male gender changes) have a change in how they process 3D and spatial awareness.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 3rd, 2014 at 3:03:44 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 119
Posts: 5368
Quote: odiousgambit
People took their vacations that way. It was total adventure.


The idea of traveling, as well as traveling across other worldly landscapes, perhaps with different properties and things is fascinating. You could actually have a dinosaur 50 stories tall. With all the sensory stuff available thunderous subsonic booms when it walks. All in your home.

Talk about a programming job though.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
April 4th, 2014 at 7:20:28 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3163
Hopefully with his billions he hurries it the hell up.

The gaming community is frothing over this. Flight combat sims, racing sims, survival sims,... "The Rift" is an ever present topic of conversation.

I wouldn't mind it. It'd be a nice option as opposed to a three screen setup, the cost of a video card to run it, cost of two extra monitors, cost of extra space for three monitors...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 4th, 2014 at 10:46:43 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 744
Posts: 8747
Quote: Face
I wouldn't mind it. It'd be a nice option as opposed to a three screen setup, the cost of a video card to run it, cost of two extra monitors, cost of extra space for three monitors...

How about 9 monitors? Is that as extreme as it gets?

April 4th, 2014 at 11:38:48 AM permalink
Face
Administrator
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 61
Posts: 3163
Quote: Pacomartin
How about 9 monitors? Is that as extreme as it gets?



Lol, really? Do you really need a 20" clock right there? lol I wonder what he does, as I see no gaming peripherals and can't tell what's on the screen.

I sim race semi-seriously, and some of the guys on my team might give this guy a run for his money. I mean, they take it seriously. There's thread upon thread of getting just the right field of view for your screen size, distance away from the screen, seat height level... it never ends. Guys with not only the best video card, but two of them linked together (I forget the technical term) and running GPUs overclocked to the max.

The one guy on my team has a full aluminum chassis. In it is a racing seat with a buttkicker (A large subwoofer under the seat to recreate the rumbles of collisions or off tracks). His shifter is built in, full pedals built in, force feedback wheel built in. He has a three screen setup, so it's just like looking out of the front of your car. Windshield or out the left or right window, it's all there. He has button boxes so he can instantly access all sorts of telemetry, adjust setting for pit road changes, or communicate with his spotters. He has an additional screen with his telemetry outputs, so he can see what the car is doing while he drives. Another screen for his in-garage adjustments. Another screen for a sort of scrolling tracker to keep him aware of other racers.

And he's not even close to being the worst one when it comes to this type of stuff O.o
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 4th, 2014 at 1:08:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 119
Posts: 5368
Quote: Face

The one guy on my team has a full aluminum chassis. In it is a racing seat with a buttkicker (A large subwoofer under the seat to recreate the rumbles of collisions or off tracks). His shifter is built in, full pedals built in, force feedback wheel built in. He has a three screen setup, so it's just like looking out of the front of your car. Windshield or out the left or right window, it's all there. He has button boxes so he can instantly access all sorts of telemetry, adjust setting for pit road changes, or communicate with his spotters. He has an additional screen with his telemetry outputs, so he can see what the car is doing while he drives. Another screen for his in-garage adjustments. Another screen for a sort of scrolling tracker to keep him aware of other racers.


Wow, hey he could just take up racing!

I guess it's still cheaper, in the long run (probably).
No one has ever proven I am not God.
April 4th, 2014 at 2:06:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 744
Posts: 8747
Quote: rxwine
Wow, hey he could just take up racing!


I think the buttkicker just vibrates you extra when you crash. No third degree burns.

Page 1 of 212>