I Has a Sad

April 4th, 2014 at 9:21:00 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
This forum is pretty simple, its topic as well.

Literature. All the poems ever written, all the novels ever created. Every written word in human history. Stories to inspire, to enslave, to frighten, to love.

Music. That thing that speaks to your soul. What fills you up, get's you through your day, and makes an ordinary day extraordinary.

Sports. Competition. Victory. Achievements. Trials and tribulations and how you overcame them. You you learned to become a leader, and how you learned to work together.

Travel. All of the things in our great, blue planet. Sights and sounds. Tall peaks, deep oceans, the stuff that makes the human mind wonder.

And still, with all that, what are the most popular topics? TV and Movies.

TV and Movies.

TV. And. Movies.

/sigh.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 4th, 2014 at 11:26:09 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
This forum is pretty simple, its topic as well.

Literature. All the poems ever written, all the novels ever created. Every written word in human history. Stories to inspire, to enslave, to frighten, to love.

Music. That thing that speaks to your soul. What fills you up, get's you through your day, and makes an ordinary day extraordinary.

Sports. Competition. Victory. Achievements. Trials and tribulations and how you overcame them. You you learned to become a leader, and how you learned to work together.

Travel. All of the things in our great, blue planet. Sights and sounds. Tall peaks, deep oceans, the stuff that makes the human mind wonder.

TV and Movies.

TV. And. Movies.

/sigh.

This forum is what you make of it. You go first, if I have anything to add of value, I'll go there with you. :D
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
April 4th, 2014 at 11:42:08 AM permalink
Face
Quote: beachbumbabs
This forum is what you make of it. You go first, if I have anything to add of value, I'll go there with you. :D

Lol, it wasn't a bitch about the forum, surely. I love it here. I think I''m just projecting. So many wrongs to right, so much to do, and I'm probably spending too much time playing Civilization V.

It's more than a little bit of a critique on my own self. But it does irk me.

It's Spring. Let's all get outside =)
April 4th, 2014 at 11:44:34 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I'm NOT spending enough time playing Civ V, it seems.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 4th, 2014 at 11:54:19 AM permalink
Face
Quote: TheCesspit
I'm NOT spending enough time playing Civ V, it seems.

Fun fact: My little piss of a town of 2,709 people is one of the cities in the game O.o

Of course, it's like 7th on the list, but build enough and it pops right up =)
April 4th, 2014 at 12:35:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I can't type a long post on a tablet, so I'll just say this: TV and movies are a part of literature.

More later.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 4th, 2014 at 12:56:39 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

Whats the one thing everyone here has in common?
TV and movies. Whats the one thing most of us
engage in every day? You guessed it. It only stands
to reason that we talk about that. A movie or TV show
is a snapshot of our culture at any given time.

For instance, saw a old Andy Griffith from 1960 yesterday.
Andy's girlfriend was running for city council and the men
were so over the top against it that you just sit there
gaping. They mouthed every sexist cliche in the book, it
was astounding. They said over and over she was 'just a
woman' and would do a terrible job.

This was a hit show on primetime in 1960. I was a kid, I
grew up watching and believing this garbage. You wonder
why men were sexist pigs? Look no farther..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 4th, 2014 at 6:22:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
As I was saying, literature includes theater since classical times (before novels!). Later on movies and then TV, and BTW radio dramas shoulD any still exist, are part of literature as well.

No one will argue theater isn't a high art form, not when given the works of the Greek tragedians and one William Shakespeare who lived in an island off Europe <w>, to name a few.

Movies will surely come up short when measured against such standards (BTW a movie of a work by Shakespeare is a portrayal or interpetation, not an "original" work). Sometimes even when measured against "mere" novels and even short stories. Just the same, some movies are works of high art. Consider classics like "Citizen Kane" or "Casablanca." And if you value comedy, there are some excellent comedies from the works of Chaplin onwards to this day (BTW who doesn't love "Airplane!" as witty, satiric fun?)

TV is more problematic because it's more topical and more ephemeral (though the last may be changing). In my favorite genre, science fiction, TV has the movies beat as regards narrative, character development and sheer interest. The best by far, IMO, are "Babylon 5" and "Stargate SG-1" (of those I've seen), followed by all the Star Trek series and the original Twilight Zone.

TV's potential is largely wasted. There could be long series, lasting 5-7 years or more, which could develop interesting long term stories and characters. Like novels told episodically over time. Few do. Two which did, one of them by design, were the two I mentioned above. B5 in particular was planned like that and managed to pull it off.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER