5 votes (45.45%)
2 votes (18.18%)
2 votes (18.18%)
1 vote (9.09%)

11 members have voted

April 6th, 2014 at 1:06:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

What is the verdict on "Cielito Querido Café" in Mexico City? Is it cheaper, more expensive or the same price as Starbucks?
April 6th, 2014 at 1:10:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Wizard
When you consider just the coffee it seems expensive. However, I've used Starbucks as a place to have meetings lots of times, including with WoV members. It is a nice comfortable quiet place. Sometimes if I urgently need a bathroom I'll duck into a Starbucks and nobody ever barks at me "You need to buy something!" All things considered, I'm okay with paying $4 for a coffee there, considering the fringe benefits.
The original coffee shops in England were a reflection of a social movement as well as the mere obtaining of a novel beverage. Social norms of a certain sort were rejected in coffee shops, you sat where you could no matter how finely attired you were, no one made way for you. Your political discourse was your affair and while you could bring a paper into the shop you were not expected to leave with it.

Its possible that the coffee shop revolution in the USA receives the same distinctions. Its patrons are the ones who are free of a 9-5 anchoring. Whose calendar is their own. They may do the same things as others but its on their own schedule. They attend a gym, but are not limited to "after work hours"; they hold business meetings, but at the time of their own choosing. Its a life style type of business.

So the focus is not the beverage, because more than that is received. The focus is not the money spent, because its the indulgence that is received. Its the customer's "fix"... his heroin break. Two Double Tall This 'n Thats is the acknowledgement that yes they are indeed cubicle rats but they don't need anyone's permission to get out for their afternoon fix. Yes, they have a smart phone and an App that orders their This 'n Thats, so they are still wage slaves, but they do get out and join the real world because they are highly paid wage slaves. It not the South Beach Miami club scene an example? The cigarette vending area near the entranceway has elevated glass diases, the girls with the longest legs and shortest skirts, the "other products" which are sworn to enhance perfect performance in other endeavors, as well.
April 6th, 2014 at 4:51:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
What is the verdict on "Cielito Querido Café" in Mexico City? Is it cheaper, more expensive or the same price as Starbucks?

This is the first I hear of it.

At many Walmarts there's one called "Cafe Dileto" which is much cheaper and quite good, though less varied. There's also a chain of franchises called "Cafe punta del Cielo." The prices are about half those of Starbucks and the coffee is good.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 6th, 2014 at 5:13:36 AM permalink
Fleastiff

An interesting concept. Perhaps one you could compare to the real estate phrase in the US that is in growing use: Latin Shopping Center or Destination Shopping Center. Its a term wherein everything focuses on outings and walks and activities. So as a White Suburban Shopping Center might close due to a mixture of Big Box Effect and Amazon Effect, A Latin Suburban Shopping Center will transform itself from the brink of closure to a Latin Family Strolling Arcade wherein there are row shops, bakeries, benches, music centers, bocce ball courts, dominoes tables .... in other words, there is an "outdoor coffee shop" that saves the now anchorless mall from being deserted.
April 6th, 2014 at 9:27:38 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
Perhaps one you could compare to the real estate phrase in the US that is in growing use: Latin Shopping Center

I am aware that many shopping malls are trying to save themselves by becoming giant food courts. Particularly popular seems to be the "Dave and Busters" which is a kind of adult Chuckie Cheese.

But I have not heard of the term "Latin Shopping Center". It may be more popular in the Southwest.

I know the term Lifestyle Center like Town Square in Las Vegas.

I went to Portugal 30 years ago, and I was introduced to the concept of friends who met several times a week for decades and had never been to one another's home.
April 6th, 2014 at 10:32:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I am aware that many shopping malls are trying to save themselves by becoming giant food courts.
True, but the owners often don't want that but simply see no alternative tenants.
Particularly popular seems to be the "Dave and Busters" which is a kind of adult Chuckie Cheese.
Not having been to Chuckie Cheese, I shall have to accept your word on that, but that is probably a very safe course for me to take anyway. I've hear Dave and Busters described as a restaurant with a giant arcade of old style games. I'm not sure of the age range for target customers.

>But I have not heard of the term "Latin Shopping Center".
I may have the term wrong. It is used to represent the ultimate in getting people to shop at a mall by guiding them to the mall for non-shopping activities of wide variety and long duration. Concerts, strolls, bakeries, outdoor chess, checker and dominoes, ... sort of an after-church social to meet the various cousins and aunts.

>I know the term Lifestyle Center like Town Square in Las Vegas.
Perhaps that is bit more upscale, I don't know. Is the emphasis on Famous Named Handbags For A Fortune or is the emphasis on "Come to the free concert and wine tasting" sponsored by Famous Named Handbags For A Fortune?

>I went to Portugal 30 years ago, and I was introduced to the concept of friends who met several times a week
>for decades and had never been to one anothers' home.
An interesting example. Perhaps in the old cities and villages of Portugal the homes are very small and entertainment takes place elsewhere. I do know one prize winning studio in Portugal wherein the bathtub is located in the center of the living room disguised as some sort of perfectly acceptable table since no architect could fit any bathtub into the bathroom in the small space constructed prior to electrical codes and plumbing codes. Live in the center of a historical city but live also with creativity in your space usage.

I know that Portugal features small restaurants with only a few items on the menu, such as two meat entrees, two fish entrees and a few accompanying vegetable dishes. There is no emphasis on "turnover", its not an 'eat it and beat it' type culture. I understand Portugal's nightclub life is similarly focused on smaller darker rooms where most patrons expect to spend the entire evening amidst smoke, song, smoke, dance, and smoke.
April 6th, 2014 at 11:37:10 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

I went to Portugal 30 years ago, and I was introduced to the concept of friends who met several times a week for decades and had never been to one another's home.

I can see that. I'm very weird about people
coming to my house, it rarely happens and
is usually somebody who has been here
off and on for years.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 6th, 2014 at 3:26:33 PM permalink
Fleastiff
WSJ
In some areas of high concentrations of Hispanics ailing malls are re-packaging themselves to focus on higher birth rates, more clothes expenditures, etc.

Wall Street Journal article
April 6th, 2014 at 9:05:33 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Fleastiff
In some areas of high concentrations of Hispanics ailing malls are re-packaging themselves to focus on higher birth rates, more clothes expenditures, etc.

Retailing has to adopt to where the money is coming from.

If you like Mariachi and Tequila head for the International Festival in Guadalajara in September. Tequila is a little town just outside of Guadalajara.
April 15th, 2014 at 3:44:11 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I had another "grande" Mocha yesterday at the Guadalajara airport while waiting for my flight to finally "depart." Though the prices remain high, I ahve to give them two things: 1) they charge the same in the airport than at their other stores. Not all airport merchants do this. 7-11, to name one, charges nearly 15-20% more in their airport stores. 2) The receipt includes the log-in name and password for the airport's WiFi; better yet, it seems to work at all airports (at least it worked in Monterrey and Guadalajara; I'll know Sunday whether it works in Mexico City).

Lastly, I really wanted to get coffee from Krispy Kreme, but they were closed by then.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 3 of 4<1234>