Powerlifting

Page 2 of 4<1234>
April 10th, 2014 at 12:42:14 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
People ignore lifting heavy weight to lose fat but it helps in many ways. Building muscle and having more muscle uses more calories and can increase your metabolism.

I hear this a lot. I know it's so. I know why it's so. Yet it's plain to see why it's overlooked: it's hard. Cardio is easy: walk, run, bike, dance, swim, climb stairs, get on the machine and keep going as long as you can stand it. Weights on the other hand:

Quote:
For you Nareed I would recommend some light weight high rep sets with some dumbbells. Lunges, push-ups, shoulder presses, one arm rows, tricep extensions, curls all with a weight you can handle for 3 sets of 15 reps (except with push-ups, you might have to start out slowly with however many reps you can do and build on it when you can). Once you feel comfortable with the movements and can do all the reps, pump up the weight and drop to 12 reps. Keep bumping the weight every week until you can't get all the sets and reps done and then stick with that weight till you can. Rinse and repeat.

First of all thank you for the information.

I understood until "recommend." Really, talking to fitness enthusiasts is a bit like talking to tech power users (and dont' get me started on actual software auteurs). One can recognize the language, but not extract meaning from it.

Don't bother to expplain. I'll look it up online (that's why there is an Internet, after all). I think I understand the part about increasing weight, and that's the important aspect.

But I do have one question: would you recommend doing this instead of the regular workout, or in addition to it?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 10th, 2014 at 2:46:45 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I went through your "workout problems" thread real quick, congrats on trying to get up so early and working out. I know it is an up and down process and can be frustrating but it sounds like your hanging in there. I think some diversity through weight lifting might be really good for you. So yes I would recommend doing some weight lifting instead of your regular workout two times a week. I would stretch and warm up with five minutes of cardio, lift some weights, and finish with some abs. It might take a little longer than 30 mins. depending on how many exercises you do.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 10th, 2014 at 3:25:08 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I went through your "workout problems" thread real quick,...

I really wish I could get Ash on here. She'd probably have a ton to say on these subjects.

Problem is, the very thing she could advise on is the very reason she can't come here - she's in the gym 3hrs a day every day and has no free time as a result.

I'll keep trying =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 10th, 2014 at 3:56:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Problem is, the very thing she could advise on is the very reason she can't come here - she's in the gym 3hrs a day every day and has no free time as a result.

I can't conceive working out that much. Obviously she's one of these fitness enthusiasts I alluded to. I'll stop right there, too.
April 10th, 2014 at 4:35:47 PM permalink
Nareed
I went through your "workout problems" thread real quick, congrats on trying to get up so early and working out. I know it is an up and down process and can be frustrating but it sounds like your hanging in there.

Thank you. Encouragement always feels good. From a friend it's just fantastic.

Still, the main probelm is I passionately dislike exercise. The trick is to minimize and ignore it as much as possible. See, first I get up at 5 am and spend the next hour watching Pawn Stars reruns and drinking coffee (the latter is to wake up; I always need coffee). At 6 I go down to the gym, where I proceed to listen to either an audiobook or a history podcast for the next 30-35+ minutes, while doing my best to ignore what I'm doing. I tend to keep my eyes closed a lot, and to ignore the time display on the machine.

The trick is to get as deep into the book or podcast as possible. Sometimes the machine will beep it's done and I'm surprised how much time has passed. Those are the bets workouts, when I hardly notice them at all.

Quote:
So yes I would recommend doing some weight lifting instead of your regular workout two times a week. I would stretch and warm up with five minutes of cardio, lift some weights, and finish with some abs. It might take a little longer than 30 mins. depending on how many exercises you do.

I could do that if I confined them to Saturdays and Sundays. On weekdays it would just be impossible to take up more time. In any case, I'll likely leave it for after returning from Vegas. I'll have a few days vaccation left at home befre returning to work, so I can try it then.

Thanks again for the tip.
April 10th, 2014 at 4:36:03 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
I really wish I could get Ash on here. She'd probably have a ton to say on these subjects.

I'll keep trying =p

Don't bother trying to hard, she's far better of being a gym rat. I mildly envy people who can get that dedicated.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
April 10th, 2014 at 4:56:26 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
FrG my all time best bench was 365x6…best deadliest was 585x4…best squat 405x8

Long time ago and pre-surgery

Now I just lift light and do cardio.
April 10th, 2014 at 5:10:35 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Finally get off those Nautilus machines! They are close to sinful and it sounds like the view is a near temptation to sin anyway. You can do the same exercises safely with free weights and it is so much better for you. There are all these stabilizing little muscles we use all the time that are worked using free weights that the machines can't touch.

Dang. I was afraid you'd say that. Free weights lifters usually do. Not to say you're wrong, but in my defense I'd like to say:

1. My time is important and I endeavor to accomplish as much in as little time as possible. With free weights, a lot of time is spent moving weights around.
2. Again, no spotter. I think to be safe I would have to not press myself the last few repetitions, which are the ones that help the most. No pain no gain.

However, I suppose I could weave some free weights, like curls, into my routine. I'd be interested to know some other good reps with free weights one can do by himself safely and still push his limits.

What is my penance for using Nautilus machines?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 10th, 2014 at 6:57:07 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Wizard the penance for using those machines is to do the exercises with your eyes closed, like Nareed mentioned, it might be helpful ;)

Ace - That is awesome! Did you ever try for your Max? It sounds like you might be able to get over 400 bench, 6 something deadlift, and 450 or more Squat. Those are great numbers! I'm assuming you were lifting raw (no shirts or suits) and drug free. I'm also guessing you weighed over 242 at the time? I'm sorry you got hurt but those are some accomplishments to hang your hat on.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 10th, 2014 at 7:12:07 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Wizard the penance for using those machines is to do the exercises with your eyes closed, like Nareed mentioned, it might be helpful ;)

Ace - That is awesome! Did you ever try for your Max? It sounds like you might be able to get over 400 bench, 6 something deadlift, and 450 or more Squat. Those are great numbers! I'm assuming you were lifting raw (no shirts or suits) and drug free. I'm also guessing you weighed over 242 at the time? I'm sorry you got hurt but those are some accomplishments to hang your hat on.

FrG...no suits or shirts...no drugs...but I did use a belt... straps and elbow wraps

I weighed about 268

Now i weigh about 230
Page 2 of 4<1234>