Best lines so far....

Page 1 of 212>
April 11th, 2014 at 6:41:33 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Best line so far in a Great Courses lecture series:

In the introduction to the series on late Antiquity and the rise of Christianity, Prof. Thomas F.X. Noble caricaturing the notion of the Dark Ages "... Europe's one thousand years without a bath, and so on."
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 11th, 2014 at 10:32:22 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: Nareed
Best line so far in a Great Courses lecture series:

In the introduction to the series on late Antiquity and the rise of Christianity, Prof. Thomas F.X. Noble caricaturing the notion of the Dark Ages "... Europe's one thousand years without a bath, and so on."

I remember when all the Hippies were concerned with the Millenium and Millenium Bug at Year 2000 and the Washington National Guard was to be on Standby Alert or something. The Wall Street Journal published an analysis of the first millenium and its financial and society implications. Mind opening for me!
April 20th, 2014 at 4:38:02 AM permalink
Nareed
In the course on Big History, which covers the period from the Big Bang to the Present (big indeed), Prof David Christian says in a thought experiment on perspective "...now we strap the ant in an ant helicopter." (BTW it makes perfect sense in context).
May 9th, 2014 at 8:07:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Same course as above, on the topic of evolution "How closely related are we to bananas?"

I had such a great time on my trip, I hardly missed listening to the lectures at all.
May 9th, 2014 at 3:48:16 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Best line this woman said was she had a MOM tattoo on her butt but when you flipped her over it said WOW. She didn't have the looks but I almost agreed just for her cool attitude.
May 20th, 2014 at 1:04:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Again in Big History (it's long, and I pretty much didn't listen to a word of it between April 22nd and May 9th):

"Tribute-taking states realize they have to do something useful for their people in order to benefit themselves. Like the more intelligent parasites."
May 20th, 2014 at 1:36:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: 1nickelmiracle
Best line this woman said was she had a MOM tattoo on her butt but when you flipped her over it said WOW.

I actually find that a little unnerving.
May 20th, 2014 at 5:56:18 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Fleastiff
I remember when all the Hippies were concerned with the Millenium and Millenium Bug at Year 2000

I didn't know there was a political bias to that. I knew a couple where were Rick Santorum style religious conservatives and they moved to a remote part of Oregon just before Y2K, because they thought civilized society would come to the end and their odds were better living off the land and I'm sure they had quite the stockpile of food and guns too.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 25th, 2014 at 5:29:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Again in Big History (paraphrasing because I can't take notes or set bookmarks while driving)

"The sea squirt needs a brain in order to find a rock to perch on. Once it does, the brain is useless and takes up energy. So the sea squirt simply consumes it. In academia it has been suggested some professors do the same once they get tenure"
May 26th, 2014 at 5:28:24 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: Wizard
I didn't know there was a political bias to that. I knew a couple where were Rick Santorum style religious conservatives and they moved to a remote part of Oregon just before Y2K, because they thought civilized society would come to the end and their odds were better living off the land and I'm sure they had quite the stockpile of food and guns too.

What? "Rick Santorum-style" conservatives? He is conservative but I don't see him as one of those types of people who wants to go hide in the country; he talks about ways to make the country better. In that way, he is no different than President Obama--both have some decent ideas and some really crappy ones.
Page 1 of 212>