Orange is the New Black

Page 3 of 4<1234>
November 22nd, 2014 at 10:25:23 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
I didn't know there was an old Lilyhammer, but since Netflix is not free, I guess it makes no difference.

Have you looked at the "terms" for joining Netflix? Maybe take a look, quit anytime mid month any time of day etc. I paid for maybe 3 months one time. Now they are like trying to get rid of Hari Krishna's at the airport back in the day. You just can't insult them no matter how hard you try.

I am not a member but they send me an email maybe 3-4 times a year saying they want me back with a month free, again quit anytime I want, so sometimes I will take a month free and forget to cancel and they dink me for a month and then I remember to quit and the cycle starts over.

I would have thought you were up on all the "free" stuff? They have booklets for seniors [assuming you qualify?]about the cheap and free ways to live, plus discounts. You must be aware of "Hulu" [sp?] free stuff, somebody else may know of other free video broadcasts, here?

I am a documentary person, or outdoor, history, science media. I came across this last night;https://archive.org/details/opensource_audio, I was listening while surfing to the FDNY actual radio calls on 911. Lots of stuff there. I clicked on it partially because I had seen someone mentioned they had turned Gary Allen's, NDCIC to an audio book. That book, which I first consumed in '73, is partially to blame for the way I am. That and, Orwell and Huxley.

I'm sure you are aware of all the free documentary stuff on the www?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 28th, 2015 at 2:00:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Saw the first ep of House of Cards 3rd season
and was bored to tears. It has to get better than
this or the show is doomed. I was so tired of
seeing Doug's lonnnnnng recovery that I FF'd
it several times. The first half of the ep is about
him, 26min worth. Ick.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 2nd, 2015 at 12:57:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
Half way thru the HofC season 3 and it
sucks. All the intrigue is gone, now it's
just about lib causes. Like the new
president is going to fix the economy
by robbing FEMA of 3 billion and giving
it to companies to create new jobs and
hire people. He wants this to inspire
congress to give hundreds of billions
for the same thing.

Stupid lib BS. That's what the Soviet Union
did, you were guaranteed a job that the
gov't paid for. Except it doesn't work, the
gov't isn't a perpetual money making
machine. A gov't makes money by taxing
the private sector, not by taxing itself.
If everybody has a gov't subsidized job,
there is not enough private money coming
in to pay for it.

Everytime they show a TV screen, it's CNN
or MSNBC, never FOX. The whole show is
a borefest now. They had the First Lady take
a pee in a restroom right in front of a foreign
diplomat. In the stall with the door open. One
of the most disgusting and degrading things
I've ever seen on TV. Classless, I don't care
what the reasoning was.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 3rd, 2015 at 10:03:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
I finished HoC. Yuk, very depressing all
around. Very different than the first 2
seasons, left a bad taste in my mouth.
They ruined it by making it politics
driven instead of character driven. And
by pulling apart Frank and Claire. And
by letting Kevin Spacey gain 25 pounds
and look 10 years older.
June 28th, 2015 at 3:48:58 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Just finished Season 3. General thoughts:

Piper is not the same, clueless WASP that she was in season 1. I am still tired of all the lesbian scenes they squeeze in. I mean, female prison, we get it. Whatever happened to the old days when they had the setup and cut away before it got graphic and everyone knew what happened and it was left to the imagination?

Is Laura Prepon somehow considered attractive? Sorry but I seriously can't see why. Watching her and Piper made me want to call Netflix and explain we saw this on OZ but it was Beecher and Keller so please do something new.

Too much stuff went it too many useless directions this year. There was little main plot and more several sub-plots.

Back to Piper. First, I see next year that she will somehow get more time on her sentence. Next year will be season 4. 39 episodes so far, assume another 13 next year. It is simply getting too hard to justify timelines. At the least she has wised up and understands getting prison cred now. Still was too emotionally needy. If a guy were to marry her he would try to get sent to the can himself to get away.

One interesting part was the season touches on our prison-industrial complex in the USA. It looks as though this will be a major theme next season. No spoiler except to say if you want to see the foreshadowing all you need do is watch the last 10 minutes of the last episode for the cliffhanger. Believable it is not, though it is close enough to suspend disbelief.
The President is a fink.
June 28th, 2015 at 4:14:18 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Just finished Season 3. General thoughts:

4 paragraphs of complaints. I dumped this
loser show as completely preposterous
after the 4th ep of season 1.
June 29th, 2015 at 10:36:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
4 paragraphs of complaints. I dumped this
loser show as completely preposterous
after the 4th ep of season 1.

It seems to be following the path of "OZ." Well-planned first season, but by the end of the second you realize that prison is a boring place and only so many storylines can happen. For now the cliffhanger has me intrigued enough to watch the first 3-4 episodes next year. If it has not improved by then I am done.
The President is a fink.
June 29th, 2015 at 12:22:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
It seems to be following the path of "OZ." Well-planned first season, but by the end of the second you realize that prison is a boring place and only so many storylines can happen.

Ever talk to somebody that's been in prison?
It's designed to be boring and a place you don't
want to come back to.
June 29th, 2015 at 12:35:47 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
Ever talk to somebody that's been in prison?
It's designed to be boring and a place you don't
want to come back to.

Met one or two but not well enough to get into it with them. Had employees who talked to COs when we did service. They said the thing is that the whole thing is just passing time, cons. COs, admin. None are much ambitious so they all go there and pass time together. I'm sure there are good COs, but they still go to a prison daily by choice.
The President is a fink.
June 21st, 2016 at 5:48:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I said I would give it a brief chance after the cliffhanger and well this season is better than last by far. Several new characters and quite a bit more real. Won't do a true spoiler, but Piper has found out the hard way what happens to snitches who have the COs do their dirty work for them. They put some racial tension in it this year. Racial lines are not as big in women's prisons but you have to believe they are there. The timeline is still straining credibility, but the annoying factor is lower.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 4<1234>