Remember When

July 18th, 2014 at 12:16:54 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

This was probably the beginning of the "helicopter parents" thing that we sadly have today.

It's funny, I only saw one example of helo
parents when I was growing up. They had
to know where their kids were at all times
and closely controlled who they were friends
with. And the kids were spoiled brats. The
son was my age and was a habitual liar,
he lied about everything. He was constantly
in trouble because he rebelled about everything.
Terrible bully. I always thought it was because
his parents were 'weird'.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 18th, 2014 at 12:41:02 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Evenbob
It's funny, I only saw one example of helo
parents when I was growing up. They had
to know where their kids were at all times
and closely controlled who they were friends
with.

Admit it, Bob, he wasn't allowed to play with you.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 19th, 2014 at 8:42:12 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: AZDuffman
was probably the beginning of the "helicopter parents" thing that we sadly have today.

I doubt those Toddler in Trunk signs cause helicopter parenting, most of the girls I knew who displayed such signs didn't even have any kids.
July 30th, 2014 at 6:55:14 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Remember when a flat tire was so common you often used a spare that was not really up to snuff? The Racing with Face thread got me thinking about that.
July 30th, 2014 at 1:30:39 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
...you often used a spare that was not really up to snuff?

I thought this thread was for stuff that happened decades ago? You just described last Tuesday ;)

Seriously tho, I know guys whose trailer tires are so dry rotted you could store change in the cracks in the sidewall. Hell, mine's included =) I don't think this is a thing that's gone out of style, I think you've just matured into financial stability. Find a guy living paycheck to paycheck and you'll find him rolling on baloney skins.

I'm considered "well off" because all my trailer tires are the same size. The guy with same size AND same brand? Hell, he's loaded ;)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 30th, 2014 at 1:38:36 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face

Seriously tho, I know guys whose trailer tires are so dry rotted you could store change in the cracks in the sidewall. Hell, mine's included =) I don't think this is a thing that's gone out of style, I think you've just matured into financial stability. Find a guy living paycheck to paycheck and you'll find him rolling on baloney skins.

My dad is trying to unload some tires that have 3-4/32 of tread left. He replaced them early because they were not good enough fr or a cross-country trip to see me in AZ. I keep telling him nobody will give $5 for them unless they have a mount machine. I'd give them to someone riding on those skins to end the entire thing.

During this I tried explaining to my mother how people low on cash will put their friend's good tires on the car to pass inspection then swap them back. She could not believe it, my dad totally knew it happened.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2014 at 3:20:58 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
During this I tried explaining to my mother how people low on cash will put their friend's good tires on the car to pass inspection then swap them back. She could not believe it, my dad totally knew it happened.

Yup. Doesn't happen too often, tho, usually just in a pinch. The repeat offenders all have "a guy", one that'll slap a sticker on any old heap for a little graft. I know I had cords showing and no turning signals on my bike every time I got it inspected. Always got the sticker with the same "it wasn't like this when you brought it here" reminder =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
July 30th, 2014 at 3:50:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
Yup. Doesn't happen too often, tho, usually just in a pinch. The repeat offenders all have "a guy", one that'll slap a sticker on any old heap for a little graft. I know I had cords showing and no turning signals on my bike every time I got it inspected. Always got the sticker with the same "it wasn't like this when you brought it here" reminder =)

Lick 'em and stick 'em shop.

Not everyone has a connection so sometimes the jacks come out. I had a shop played a little loose because I was a good customer but only because I was a regular and the guy knew I knew how to do my own work and did. Same guy as actually told my brother he should just have said he just did the brakes instead of making him pull the wheel. Ironically, the shop was very honest if you had an issue. He just didn't break balls when it wasn't called for.
The President is a fink.
July 30th, 2014 at 4:31:35 PM permalink
odiousgambit
well, you guys might be right, but I can tell you one thing: flats were more common 'in the day'

I guess the steel belt has made the biggest difference, but I'm not so sure the 'inner tube' thing wasn't part of the problem. Sounds like a good idea, and probably necessary before good rims and the technology thereof came into existence, but flats, wow, all the time.
July 30th, 2014 at 4:45:56 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: odiousgambit
well, you guys might be right, but I can tell you one thing: flats were more common 'in the day'

I guess the steel belt has made the biggest difference, but I'm not so sure the 'inner tube' thing wasn't part of the problem. Sounds like a good idea, and probably necessary before good rims and the technology thereof came into existence, but flats, wow, all the time.

Roads themselves are probably better, too.
The President is a fink.