Remember When

June 8th, 2016 at 6:47:56 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rxwine
Remember the small transistor radio about the size of your palm which ran on a 9 volt battery. Reception was terrible and totally depended on twisting it the right way. Usually had a single ear plug for private listening. AM radio, top 40.

Vaguely.

What I did have in the late 80s was a credit-card size FM radio. it worked with one of those flat batteries that look like an enlarged quarter that are a pain to find, and relied on earphones alone for sound (these used a really odd, flat plug). The sound was decent.

Back then I thought it was awesome.

These days, I haven't turned on the radio in my car for the last five years more than ten times.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 8th, 2016 at 8:29:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
That's funny. I used to listen to my car radio
all the time, now it's just annoying noise.
It's been years since I turned it on. I
wonder if I changed or it changed.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 8th, 2016 at 8:56:57 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
That's funny. I used to listen to my car radio
all the time, now it's just annoying noise.
It's been years since I turned it on. I
wonder if I changed or it changed.

Mine is off 99% of the time unless it is a podcast. I think so much entertainment overload I like the quiet.
The President is a fink.
June 8th, 2016 at 12:51:13 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Overload? Now all the teen girls have head phones on and seem to be walking along listening to music or talking to Google, no one seems disconnected from something electronic. I am glad I have an old 2g phone, no wrist watch telling me my heart is fluttering or that I've not exercised today, no personal weather station on my wrist. If its raining, I will get wet; if its not I won't. No need for me to have my watch tell me abut it.
January 22nd, 2017 at 7:14:24 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Does anyone ever see those fountain drink machines that keep spraying the inside of the glass? Or are they all gone. They always kept the liquid in motion.

I couldn't find a picture of one. Not sure what the exact name was. It was before self-serve machines. Seems like it had orange juice or fruit juice.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 23rd, 2017 at 2:27:46 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Does anyone ever see those fountain drink machines that keep spraying the inside of the glass? Or are they all gone. They always kept the liquid in motion.

I couldn't find a picture of one. Not sure what the exact name was. It was before self-serve machines. Seems like it had orange juice or fruit juice.

If I am thinking what you are I can say Chick-Fil-A has them for lemonade. I have seen them for self-serve on rare occasions.
The President is a fink.
January 23rd, 2017 at 6:35:19 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346

They were very popular in Mexico, where flavored water is a popular soft drink (though not so much when bottled). Their purpose was to keep the drink mixing constantly. I think newer machines that do this use different mechanisms, like paddles on the bottom of the vessel, or a constantly spinning screw inside.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 19th, 2017 at 5:33:45 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Remember when the Dems thought they
could change the Electoral College vote?
Remember when they went recount crazy?
Remember how hopeful they were and how
it all backfired on them? I miss those days,
they were fun and informative.

Remember the movie star ad begging
the EC voters to not vote for Trump.
How did that work out, I don't remember.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 20th, 2017 at 11:54:20 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: Nareed
They were very popular in Mexico, where flavored water is a popular soft drink (though not so much when bottled).
'Tis strange. Aqua Fresca is popular in Mexico and many other countries, but only recently becoming of interest in the USA, We are too committed to something having to be sugar-laden, but ginger water and hibiscus water are great beverages. Subtle flavorings can be far more freshing than ultra high doses of sugar.
June 9th, 2017 at 4:46:39 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Remember when Inter Library Loans were FREE.

Now its a whole rigamarole and SIXTEEN dollars to read a book on the library premises even though brand new it only costs $14.00.

Love Gambaccini: My Year Under The Yewtree is fourteen dollars new and as low as 9.00 used.

I also ordered Proctor's Credible and True; will expect similar results.