Remember When

Page 31 of 31« First<28293031
July 31st, 2017 at 9:24:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 119
Quote: AZDuffman
Speaking of cameras, remember in the 70s/80s, usually on P.I. type but some others, where the guy would be in an office with a little camera, taking pictures of some document he found that was important to the story line?

I do wonder if those were based on real cameras, but I thought about it for the first time recently. See, I spend a good part of my day, using my iPhone to take pictures of documents I need. New tech, but same idea, standing there and taking pics.

I don't get to drive around paradise in a fancy car after, but of course TV P.I.s are zero like what the job really is.

Pretty sure I remember some small cameras, but not sure what limitations they had.

Those TV P.I.s also seemed to get hit over the head by the butt of a gun about every 3 episodes.
No one has ever proven I am not God.
July 31st, 2017 at 10:20:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 103
Quote: rxwine
Pretty sure I remember some small cameras, but not sure what limitations they had.

Those TV P.I.s also seemed to get hit over the head by the butt of a gun about every 3 episodes.

Looking back, the cameras were about the size of a roll of 110 film. For the youngenz here, 110 was the most popular "basic" film, cheaper and easier to handle than 35mm. The film would have had to be mine and the camera lens as good as a modern iPhone, not to mention the batteries for the flash.

As to the PIs, worked with one on my old luggage gig. I think Mike was right when he told Jesse that sitting in the car watching was 90% of the job. Guy told me of sitting on a person for 6-8 hours, watching for him to do something a work comp guy could not do.
The man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it
July 31st, 2017 at 10:42:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 110
Quote: AZDuffman

I do wonder if those were based on real cameras,

Indeed they were. They had spy cameras
from the end of WWII.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 31st, 2017 at 3:50:09 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 50
Minox cameras. Expensive during the war, cheaper afterwards. Originally needed a high intensity bulb and an exact distance from the document.

Alot of Pis plant cheap watches under a car's tire and learn that way when the car left.

Yeah, gun butts and liquor bottles over the head.. standard. Once on a movie set the 'sugar glass' bottle got switched with a gin bottle and a stunt man spent months in the hospital. Richard Diamond featured a leggy telephone operator and a parking space wherever the PI needed it. With those legs nobody much focused on the parking. She later went on toss her hat in the air in Mineapolis but started out with just her legs visible as 'Sam' the mobile phone operator.
Page 31 of 31« First<28293031