Remember When

July 31st, 2017 at 9:24:28 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
Speaking of cameras, remember in the 70s/80s, usually on P.I. type but some others, where the guy would be in an office with a little camera, taking pictures of some document he found that was important to the story line?

I do wonder if those were based on real cameras, but I thought about it for the first time recently. See, I spend a good part of my day, using my iPhone to take pictures of documents I need. New tech, but same idea, standing there and taking pics.

I don't get to drive around paradise in a fancy car after, but of course TV P.I.s are zero like what the job really is.

Pretty sure I remember some small cameras, but not sure what limitations they had.

Those TV P.I.s also seemed to get hit over the head by the butt of a gun about every 3 episodes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 31st, 2017 at 10:20:45 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Pretty sure I remember some small cameras, but not sure what limitations they had.

Those TV P.I.s also seemed to get hit over the head by the butt of a gun about every 3 episodes.

Looking back, the cameras were about the size of a roll of 110 film. For the youngenz here, 110 was the most popular "basic" film, cheaper and easier to handle than 35mm. The film would have had to be mine and the camera lens as good as a modern iPhone, not to mention the batteries for the flash.

As to the PIs, worked with one on my old luggage gig. I think Mike was right when he told Jesse that sitting in the car watching was 90% of the job. Guy told me of sitting on a person for 6-8 hours, watching for him to do something a work comp guy could not do.
The President is a fink.
July 31st, 2017 at 10:42:26 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman

I do wonder if those were based on real cameras,

Indeed they were. They had spy cameras
from the end of WWII.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 31st, 2017 at 3:50:09 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Minox cameras. Expensive during the war, cheaper afterwards. Originally needed a high intensity bulb and an exact distance from the document.

Alot of Pis plant cheap watches under a car's tire and learn that way when the car left.

Yeah, gun butts and liquor bottles over the head.. standard. Once on a movie set the 'sugar glass' bottle got switched with a gin bottle and a stunt man spent months in the hospital. Richard Diamond featured a leggy telephone operator and a parking space wherever the PI needed it. With those legs nobody much focused on the parking. She later went on toss her hat in the air in Mineapolis but started out with just her legs visible as 'Sam' the mobile phone operator.
January 9th, 2018 at 12:50:18 AM permalink
rxwine
Was taking a nostalgia quiz and they mentioned "butter mints".

I had a vague feeling I knew what they were, but after looking them up, I then remembered exactly what they taste like.

Usually when we visited someone, there would be a small glass candy dish with some in it.

They do still make them, so I suppose plenty of people are still familiar with them.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 25th, 2018 at 7:40:46 PM permalink
rxwine
Are pet stores still around? I've seen aquarium stores, but that's about it.

The only ones I know of have no pets, except fish and pet supplies.
June 26th, 2018 at 3:13:37 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
MTM debuted at age 15 on Ozzie and Harriet.

Quote: Fleastiff
Richard Diamond featured a leggy telephone operator and a parking space wherever the PI needed it. With those legs nobody much focused on the parking.

After ten episodes aired, 22 year old MTM went in and asked for a $10 a week raise because the role attracted so much attention. Instead the producers fired her since she was never seen and uncredited. Lucky for her she was now free to advertise herself as the unknown secretary on Richard Diamond, which helped her career for far more than the $10 raise.

She used that credit to help her get roughly 30 bit parts in TV shows and movies and two years later she premiered as Laura Petrie.

June 26th, 2018 at 3:21:42 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Are pet stores still around? I've seen aquarium stores, but that's about it.

The only ones I know of have no pets, except fish and pet supplies.

Sure are. A chain or two and still the indies. Most have gotten out of the puppy and kitten business, instead partnering with the local dog pound or/and breeders.
The President is a fink.
August 9th, 2018 at 7:40:19 PM permalink
rxwine
Have anyone seen any of those old credit card processors in use? The slide with the carbon paper copy, or are they all out of use now?
August 9th, 2018 at 7:46:24 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Have anyone seen any of those old credit card processors in use? The slide with the carbon paper copy, ?

Saw Goober use one last week
on Andy Griffith show in 1963.

Don't you have to have a metal
card for it to work? The numbers
on a plastic card aren't raised
enough to leave an imprint.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.