Remember When

December 12th, 2018 at 1:18:53 AM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Remember when canned soups, chilis, and stews had some meat flavor?

Back in the 70s, it was a treat to eat a big can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew. It had that good, authentic orange grease rimming the top when you opened the can, the vegetables were hearty, the meat chunks were substantial, the gravy was greasy and rich?

I haven't had it in at least 10 years, my grocery advertised a BOGO, it's cold..
Perfect time for a hearty rich stew.

No more. They've removed all the fat, the gravy is thinner than most Chunky soups, the flavoring is flakes of parsley, maybe some celery, no salt to speak of. There are less vegetables, quality about the same, but no peas or chunks of celery any more. About a quarter of a potato in a 20 Oz can, and a lot of boiled carrots. No buzz of onions or mushrooms I could taste.

What a disappointment. I've been remembering the taste and smell of that so-bad-for-you treat for hours, and they've gone and made it all tasteless and "healthy".

What is the problem with these companies? They left it alone for at least 30 years, it sold well enough that it's been on the shelf for 50, everyone knows what it is....and then it's not what it is any more.

Anyone want the other can? It's going to the food bank instead of on my table. Frustrating.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
December 12th, 2018 at 2:56:02 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Yes, too many products are new and improved, which appears to be a euphemism for ruined.

The county poorhouse receives donated cans of food; stew and spaghetiios, are the ones most often left for only those recipients who are truly desperate.
December 12th, 2018 at 10:33:59 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
Remember when canned soups, chilis, and stews had some meat flavor?

I only eat canned veggies, I haven't eaten
prepared food in years. I do know canned
soup has changed hugely. It used to be
very cheap, now it's so expensive why
bother. For years a can of Campbells
tomato soup was 19 cents. Not anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 12th, 2018 at 10:41:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
I only eat canned veggies, I haven't eaten
prepared food in years. I do know canned
soup has changed hugely. It used to be
very cheap, now it's so expensive why
bother. For years a can of Campbells
tomato soup was 19 cents. Not anymore.

Canned veggies are for the emergency stash. Go fresh or frozen for better taste.
The President is a fink.
December 12th, 2018 at 11:10:57 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Canned veggies are for the emergency stash. Go fresh or frozen for better taste.

I eat 2 kinds of canned, green beans and
diced tomatoes. I have a fridge that has
nothing but cauliflower, daikon, cabbage,
zucchini, Brussles sprouts, radishes, summer
squash, broccoli, tomatoes, fresh herbs,
rutabaga, turnips, in it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
December 12th, 2018 at 11:47:23 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I eat 2 kinds of canned, green beans and
diced tomatoes. I have a fridge that has
nothing but cauliflower, daikon, cabbage,
zucchini, Brussles sprouts, radishes, summer
squash, broccoli, tomatoes, fresh herbs,
rutabaga, turnips, in it.

The diced tomatoes I can see as they are an important ingredient in several dishes. The green beans not so much, buy fresh and freeze.
The President is a fink.
December 12th, 2018 at 11:52:17 AM permalink
Evenbob
The diced tomatoes I can see as they are an important ingredient in several dishes. The green beans not so much, buy fresh and freeze.

I don't freeze veggies, takes up too
much room in the freezer. Which is
full of pork beef chicken.
December 12th, 2018 at 2:17:26 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I have a fridge that has nothing but cauliflower, daikon, cabbage, zucchini, Brussles sprouts, radishes, summer squash, broccoli, tomatoes, fresh herbs, rutabaga, turnips, in it.

I have a fridge with tv dinners and kim-chi in it. Also a jar of mayonnaise that has separated and I don't know if it is any good.
December 12th, 2018 at 3:00:20 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Why would they sit on product that long? In retail the key is keep turning inventory. In the case of FCOJ you will get 2 seasonal harvests, USA and southern hemisphere. Then you pack and ship it. Nobody wants dead inventory sitting 5 years. Do you have some kind of cite for this?...

I think saving then reconstituting concentrate with additives makes producers money by allowing them to control the the taste, consistency, and color of the final product. Straight juice to bottle will be all over the place in terms of these factors, with some squeezes unfit for store shelves.

Stockpiling also allows producers to weather short term problems with supply, like freezing weather or hurricanes trashing the groves. Five years is a long time though. Maybe their making Tang.
December 12th, 2018 at 3:04:21 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Remember the "tabless" can? Supposedly, it used a lot less aluminum. Whatever happened with that?