Remember When

July 5th, 2021 at 8:45:27 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
By 1976 you probably did not need any additive as it would have had the same engine as cars that used unleaded by 1976. I forget when trucks had to switch over.

It had the manual in the glove box and it said it took leaded gas.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 5th, 2021 at 9:22:02 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
It had the manual in the glove box and it said it took leaded gas.

But I doubt it needed it. That was probably so you could use the cheaper gas.
The President is a fink.
July 5th, 2021 at 12:38:28 PM permalink
Evenbob
But I doubt it needed it. That was probably so you could use the cheaper gas.

At about 90000 miles transmission started to go. I sure got my money out of that $300 van. It was my work van for about 6 years. The reason I got it so cheap was it didn't have a battery in it so nobody at the auction knew if it ran or not. There's a whole story behind that. In the mid 70's this couple won the lottery for like four million dollars. So they eventually spent 6 million dollars on cars and trucks and vans and a horse ranch and houses for their kids. Money ran out by the end of the 80s the sheriff showed up to take all the property because they owed everybody in the county money. That Chevy van was one of their vehicles. There was like eight vehicles at that auction.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 6th, 2021 at 5:44:22 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
winning the lottery can be the worst thing to happen for some, maybe most, people. How about this guy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Shakespeare
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 6th, 2021 at 8:14:07 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
By 1976 you probably did not need any additive as it would have had the same engine as cars that used unleaded by 1976. I forget when trucks had to switch over.

I probably have said it a few times here, but we had a 1976 LTD wagon with the 400 V-8 in it. My dad "let" me pump the gas. We had a little adapter for leaded pumps. We only ran unleaded in it if we had to use full service say on the Turnpike or in a vacation area and that was all they had. He also had a 47 Caddy and 63 Falcon that never needed a drop of additive.

The lubricating benefit of TEL (Tetraethyllead) has been greatly exaggerated. It was known prior to the lead phase out that the lead additive prevented a failure mechanism called valve seat recession and there was concern at the time of conversion that older engines with "soft valve seats" could not use unleaded fuel. However since the conversion, the data is in. Those old cars last longer with unleaded gas and no special additive than they do with leaded fuel.

Valve seat recession can be reproduced in the lab, but it is rare in the real world. It requires running at very high RPM for long uninterrupted time periods. Very few engines are used that way and if they are, they are risking many failures mechanisms more likely than valve seat recession.

Leaded fuel required other additives called lead scavengers to prevent lead deposits on surfaces. Those additives were corrosive to valves, rings and exhaust systems. The lead did more reliability harm than good.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
July 20th, 2021 at 2:44:49 PM permalink
Evenbob
This video of new TV shows for 1987 really shocked me. I had the taxi cab company then and I watched zero television, the only one of these TV shows that I've ever heard of was Jake and the Fatman. All the others are a complete mystery to me. I had no idea Jason Alexander, John Ritter, Matthew Perry, Dabney Coleman; Paul Sorvino had their own TV shows in the 80s. I think there was a period of three or four years there where I watched no television at all. Some of these shows look like they might have been okay.

Except for Murphy Brown ditto 1988. And that's only because it was on for years. I think I first heard of it on Seinfeld when Kramer is on Murphy Brown.

July 21st, 2021 at 2:51:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
This video of new TV shows for 1987 really shocked me. I had the taxi cab company then and I watched zero television, the only one of these TV shows that I've ever heard of was Jake and the Fatman. All the others are a complete mystery to me. I had no idea Jason Alexander, John Ritter, Matthew Perry, Dabney Coleman; Paul Sorvino had their own TV shows in the 80s. I think there was a period of three or four years there where I watched no television at all. Some of these shows look like they might have been okay.

This would have been one of the last years we really had a "premiere week" and looked forward to the fall season. I remember a conversation about 1995 when I mentioned I was then down to only watching about 4 shows regular.
The President is a fink.
August 29th, 2021 at 4:46:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Remember when we all drank FCOJ for breakfast? When I was in the grocery business we had all kinds of facings for frozen concentrate of not just OJ but other fruit juices. It made sense, they kept longer. Now everyone thinks they need fresh. Down to just a few facings and you have to look for it in the store. Amazing as FCOJ was a huge breakthru when introduced.

Bough a few cans of FCOJ yesterday to replenish the bunker. 5-6 cans. Woman working the register remarked she did not realize they still make the stuff!
The President is a fink.
September 13th, 2021 at 4:54:42 PM permalink
Evenbob
My grandparents left West Virginia in 1942 because their four sons
had all joined the Navy and they could no longer run the farm. They
moved to Delaware and bought a gigantic circa 1900 three story
house for just a few thousand dollars because prices were depressed
because of the war. They were in their late forties and got jobs at a
local munitions plant making bullets for the military. They worked
side-by-side with German prisoners of war who were locked up at
night and had full-time jobs during the day. My grandpa said they
were mostly really nice middle-aged German men who were damn
glad to be in the United States and not fighting in that stupid war
they were losing. They were middle-aged because that's who the
Germans were putting in their army by 1943-44. I cannot imagine
a scenario where that would be happening today, working
side-by-side with prisoners of war.
October 6th, 2021 at 1:00:39 AM permalink
Evenbob
dupelicate