Remember When

Page 48 of 49« First<4546474849>
October 16th, 2022 at 10:43:47 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
Remember when you would go to the movies and the film would break. It would invariably happen in a key point in the movie. Big clatter and film melting on screen. Five-minute break while they spliced the film and then back to the movie. Now the projectors are just giant overhead projectors, and everything is digital.

When the movie was finished its run the projectionist would but the metal cans of film outside and they would sit there allnight waiting for pick-up in the morning.
That was when the default position for people was honest.

Sometimes you still have things happen like no sound. But if you want anything done about it you can’t just yell up at the projection hole, Someone has to leave the theater.

Although, I happen to know you can call a place on your cell to ask for help. I’ve done that in restaurants. Usually ones I won’t be returning to anytime soon.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 16th, 2022 at 10:53:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman
Remember when you would go to the movies and the film would break. It would invariably happen in a key point in the movie. Big clatter and film melting on screen. Five-minute break while they spliced the film and then back to the movie. Now the projectors are just giant overhead projectors, and everything is digital.

When the movie was finished its run the projectionist would but the metal cans of film outside and they would sit there allnight waiting for pick-up in the morning.
That was when the default position for people was honest.

I had to deliver film once. That stuff is heavy heavy. Some movie shows a small woman running with those film cases. No way. She’d barely be walking.
The President is a fink.
January 18th, 2023 at 4:27:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
truckers-say-this-dusty-roadside-diner-is-california-s-best-restaurant

Quote:
Sherry Spearow, a server at the restaurant since 1992, says that the Outpost Cafe is the only place many truckers will stop to eat in the entire state of California. “They’ll go 50 miles out of their way to come here because it’s good hometown cooking,” she says. “Mom-and-pop places are few and far between, and most of the truck stops now are taking the restaurants out and putting in fast food.”

Scott Colon, a truck driver based out of Arizona, had just finished delivering a load from Tucson to Camp Pendleton in San Diego. Tired and hungry, Colon decided to make the trek to what he calls “the best food in California.”

“If you do any traveling, if you go the old routes like Route 66, there aren’t any diners anymore.”

“I came 110 miles, even though I have to go in the other direction, just so I can eat here,” says Colon. “If you do any traveling, if you go the old routes like Route 66, there aren’t any diners anymore. It’s all Taco Bell, Jack in the Box, McDonald’s.” Colon estimates that places like the Outpost Cafe make up less than 10 percent of the food options on his routes crisscrossing the country.

The Outpost Cafe’s food is good old-fashioned American fare. Items like chicken-fried steak with eggs and bacon or a 12-ounce rib-eye with loaded baked potatoes are popular. The Meatloaf Masterpiece sandwich with sweet potato fries is a consistent best-seller. The food here is uncomplicated and nostalgic — spaghetti and meatballs, California chicken salad, salmon dinner. For truckers used to the bland offerings of IHOP or Wendy’s, a juicy Cowboy Bacon Cheeseburger after a long drive is a reminder of home, of warmth and care.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/foodnews/truckers-say-this-dusty-roadside-diner-is-california-s-best-restaurant/ar-AA16uG9F?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=4a222ff157b44ea996ea30054193c567
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 19th, 2023 at 1:08:05 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Remember when we could buy full sized candy bars for a nickel?
January 19th, 2023 at 1:38:22 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: missedhervee
Remember when we could buy full sized candy bars for a nickel?

No. I am not sure that I remember them cheaper than $0.25
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
January 19th, 2023 at 5:48:34 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Quote: DRich
No. I am not sure that I remember them cheaper than $0.25

You're younger than me.

As a kid in the fifties / sixties, a full sized Butterfinger cost five cents.

Gas was less than thirty cents.

A bit later, in the early seventies I purchased a pack of Marlboro cigarettes in vending machines for a quarter.
January 20th, 2023 at 4:34:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: missedhervee
You're younger than me.

As a kid in the fifties / sixties, a full sized Butterfinger cost five cents.

Gas was less than thirty cents.

A bit later, in the early seventies I purchased a pack of Marlboro cigarettes in vending machines for a quarter.
The dollar is now worth 3 cents. That's how they used to talk about inflation back in the day, not sure why that isn't so now.

3 cents compared to a 1913 dollar, according to this calculator, which only goes back that far

https://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl?cost1=1.00&year1=202212&year2=191301
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 18th, 2023 at 12:03:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I remember what my vision was like before I had cataract surgery which was one week ago. Holy crap, I now have 20/20 vision in my left eye which was so bad I could barely see out of it. A 10-minute outpatient surgery that cost my insurance company five grand slam bam thank you ma'am and I'm out of there with better vision than I've ever had in my life. Having the other one done next month. Everybody gets cataracts if you live long enough, everybody. Remember in the movies you sometimes saw somebody that had on those huge thick Coke bottle eyeglasses? I always wondered what those were for. That person had cataract surgery to remove the cataract but they had nothing to replace it with so he had to wear these huge thick glasses otherwise he was blind. Now they have these super thin polymer lenses they insert into your eye, it's really pretty amazing. It's the most done surgery in the entire world now, 20, 000 cataract surgeries are done per day in the United States. That's every work day 20,000 surgeries. It's on an assembly line, one after another they can do 12 or 15 in one day and go out and drive home in their new Mercedes. The doctor that is..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 18th, 2023 at 12:31:30 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Evenbob
I remember what my vision was like before I had cataract surgery which was one week ago. Holy crap, I now have 20/20 vision in my left eye which was so bad I could barely see out of it. A 10-minute outpatient surgery that cost my insurance company five grand slam bam thank you ma'am and I'm out of there with better vision than I've ever had in my life. Having the other one done next month. Everybody gets cataracts if you live long enough, everybody. Remember in the movies you sometimes saw somebody that had on those huge thick Coke bottle eyeglasses? I always wondered what those were for. That person had cataract surgery to remove the cataract but they had nothing to replace it with so he had to wear these huge thick glasses otherwise he was blind. Now they have these super thin polymer lenses they insert into your eye, it's really pretty amazing. It's the most done surgery in the entire world now, 20, 000 cataract surgeries are done per day in the United States. That's every work day 20,000 surgeries. It's on an assembly line, one after another they can do 12 or 15 in one day and go out and drive home in their new Mercedes. The doctor that is..

Glad that went well for you.

Until recently I have always had very good vision. About six months ago I got glasses for reading and now I am dependent on them and I swear my vision is getting worse by the day. Having went 56 years with good eyesight I am just shocked how fast it is going downhill.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 18th, 2023 at 1:28:18 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob

I had them done in 2020. Only problem is you lose your close vision and will need a quick visit back to get the clouds blasted off the lenses. I could not get the bifocal because I had some kind of little piece of growth on my left eye as a little kid.

As to "assembly line" Rand Paul donated lot of his time in Central America doing them. He was there a week and did hundreds. I calculated even if he had 10 hours of working time he took a little over 10 minutes each. He is a great person for doing that.
The President is a fink.
Page 48 of 49« First<4546474849>