Remember When

June 9th, 2014 at 8:31:48 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
Or you could just recycle it.

Burning makes much more sense. It returns the various components to nature to be re-used. OTOH you can load it in a truck and use a lot of fuel to take it to a plant that uses a lot of energy to maybe turn it back into paper but paper of limited use. During this process all the inks will be bleached off and all of that waste will have to be disposed of.

If you live in the country and have a wood-burning or rocket-mass stove burning makes even more sense yet.

Recycling feels good, but it is more effective for some materials than others.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2014 at 10:52:50 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Burning makes no sense. Heat is wasted; the tree is wasted. Recycling removes the energy taken from cutting down trees, a natural and limited resource. It also reduces the use of water (by half over recycled) and pollutants (both virgin and recycled paper are very messy) in making paper.

Now, if you were burn it in your fireplace to make heat, the energy in heating your house may have some use. But burning it out in the open, while fun, makes no use of the used paper.

Better to not use paper at all.
June 9th, 2014 at 11:37:11 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
Burning makes no sense. Heat is wasted; the tree is wasted. Recycling removes the energy taken from cutting down trees, a natural and limited resource. It also reduces the use of water (by half over recycled) and pollutants (both virgin and recycled paper are very messy) in making paper.

No, the tree is not wasted. It's utility was used when the paper was made and used. Be it packaging for a product I bought or a bill I received in the mail. The tree would only be wasted if I cut it down and burned the logs for no reason.

Quote:
Now, if you were burn it in your fireplace to make heat, the energy in heating your house may have some use. But burning it out in the open, while fun, makes no use of the used paper.

The heating idea aside, while it makes no "use" of the used paper there may be little to no practical use for the used paper. As I pointed out before, the energy spent to recycle paper along with the waste products may quite possibly be more costly than virgin paper. This is a reason why paper recycling has taken so long to catch on. Trees can be replanted and grown to make new paper in just a few years.

Quote:
Better to not use paper at all.

When you figure a way to ship items to me in a box that does not use paper, when you figure a way to sell dry grocery items without packaging, when you figure a substitute for cleaning after a call of nature---when you figure all of this let me know.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2014 at 11:56:07 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
We had fires all the time at my house growing up. I left for 3 years, came back, and it was illegal.

Fortunately my whole neighborhood likes fire. We all still have fires, and since we all like it, no cops get called. I set half the woods on fire this spring, but managed to put it out myself. Automotive paint is no joke! No harm, no foul I suppose =)
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
June 9th, 2014 at 12:15:55 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face

Fortunately my whole neighborhood likes fire. We all still have fires, and since we all like it, no cops get called. I set half the woods on fire this spring, but managed to put it out myself. Automotive paint is no joke! No harm, no foul I suppose =)

Not a big deal, a good, clearing fire is needed for a healthy forest. Just hope you weren't using an emeron paint.
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2014 at 12:24:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
I've actually, half-looking for a few boxes to put in my go-bag, car, and other emergency places. .

Amazon has the big matches, for $35 a box.
They used to cost 39 cents for 3 boxes.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 9th, 2014 at 12:27:47 PM permalink
Face
Enamel, hardener, and reducer. It wasn't but an once or two. I didn't want to dump it down the sink, and I had a little pile of shrubbery clippings I wanted to rid myself of.

WOOOOF! What an inferno XD
June 9th, 2014 at 12:32:35 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 153
Quote: AZDuffman
I've actually, half-looking for a few boxes to put in my go-bag, car, and other emergency places.

Quote: Evenbob
Amazon has the big matches, for $35 a box.
They used to cost 39 cents for 3 boxes.

Much of the matches available now really suck. I have found places that sell cigars are a good source for better matches. I just bought several boxes from such a store for general use.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
June 9th, 2014 at 12:37:32 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
Enamel, hardener, and reducer. It wasn't but an once or two. I didn't want to dump it down the sink, and I had a little pile of shrubbery clippings I wanted to rid myself of.

WOOOOF! What an inferno XD

Must have been just the right mix as I have found paint to be like gasoline. It can ignite or extinguish depending on the situation. I ask about emeron because I just remember the guy with the Demon was going to use it when the guy at the paint store said you could throw rocks at it and not chip it, said it was what they used on cabs. When I had a commercial fleet I asked the guy who painted a bunch of trucks for an outfit we bought if he used emeron on the rigs he painted for us and he was very fast to say, "just enamel, no way I would work with that crazy stuff (emeron.)"
The President is a fink.
June 9th, 2014 at 12:47:23 PM permalink
Face
It wasn't so much the enamel that did it. The "shubbery" was really just a big bush of what is basically sawgrass. It grows from the ground to about 5' high every year and I hack it down in the fall. I piled it Amish style in the back where all my other compost and clippings go to cure.

The paint wasn't as volatile as gas, so it wasn't a big mushroom cloud. But it burned long enough to set the whole damn pile on fire in one go, instead of the slow creep I was expecting. I guess I was expecting the quickness of gas, but got more the intense creep of motor oil. Ooops.

And LOL at that guy and his Demon. That stuff is for frames, something that takes a lot of abuse and isn't very visible. Of course he wanted to paint the whole car with it! XD