Remember When

June 13th, 2014 at 12:42:10 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: AZDuffman
Those 10/$10 ones are nearly inedible. Consider the store is marking them up at least 10%, then the manufacturer is going to keep their food cost to about 30%. So you are getting 30 cents of food value in the thing. Food for the dog costs more.

I wouldn't doubt the companies have figured out how to maximize value since the origin of these things.

More water, more sodium, more cheap meat byproducts, vegetables not meeting higher quality standards end up here, etc.,

There's no way to compare now, but it's quite possible they started with better food in the early years.

edit: maximize value to the company, that is
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 13th, 2014 at 3:50:27 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
Quote: Face
Remember when you could find a quality product? And is was usually Made in USA?

Working with grandpa is always a joy because all his stuff is from the 50's or older. He's got a hand powered air pump that's almost 70 years old. The damn thing don't leak a peep. Even pumping my truck tires up to 40psi, I can jump right on it and it's just solid. Chisel the hell out of something with those old chisels and they don't nick a bit. Old drill bits? Pfft. I got a set from my great grandpa, couldn't burn one up if I tried. I just got an old bureau, made with real cherry. It blows my mind. It was acquired by my great grandma in 1914, and the damn thing is still like new. Yeah, it's worn, but the drawers still slide, aren't warped, aren't cracked, aren't splintering. The iron casters still roll free and straight.

The drawer it replaced I dismantled by hand, no tools. I just grabbed the panels and yanked, pulled the screws right out of the shitty particle board. Got a new car jack for xmas, used it twice on an 1,800lb car, and the seals are already blown out of it. My air pump? The locking tab is plastic. Yup. It's broken off and I can't seal it to the valve anymore.

Wifey has been antiquing (not for profit, just random stuff for decoration). She got one end table and now I'm replacing everything. The quality of wood and construction beats everything. I have no worries of putting my 1,000 fish tank on one of those dressers. Old cabbage slicers that are still solid and sharp, old fishing bait buckets that are solid and not rusted, even my 60 year old Wards Westernfield 20g don't have a pit of rust or a crack in the stock.

WTF happened?!

Pretty sure Planned Obsolescence is responsible for the majority of what you're saying. My Norge clothes dryer, purchased in 1986, lasted 23 years. 5 years now if you're lucky. My Hamilton Beach kitchen mixers were made in the 50's and still work great; all steel and enamel. I have a 70 year old rotary phone; still works, just had to change the plug. 80 year old GE table fan, black base and wire protection, still going strong.

Things now are BUILT to wear out and break. Some of it is to keep it affordable while quality materials skyrocket, like hardwood vs. particle board furniture. IMO, more of it is because they want things to wear out so you can sell another one. If you used it enough to break it or wear it out, you'll want to replace it. Especially technology-dependent stuff. They could back-program things to stay compatible, but why? They want to sell you the new one, not support their old technology.

So wasteful. I have a couple of family-owned dressers myself, and my mom has a lot more furniture, pre-1900's to early 1900's. What I don't have is any furniture manu'd in the last 50 years worth passing down. Yard sale at best.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
June 13th, 2014 at 8:52:28 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Remember when you would have a coffee-maker that lasted 10+ years? My wife asked for a Keurig for Christmas each year for the past three and last Christmas, I caved. Coffee works out to about .60/10 oz cup, so if you like to drink 40oz of coffee, you're looking at $2.40 whereas a pot of coffee might cost you at most a buck to make, even if you're making Starbucks at home, and if you're using the cheap stuff, you can probably get away with $.10 / cup. But whatever, I like to please my wife.

I told her that I doubted the machine would last longer than a year, two max. Last week, after six months, it died. The thing is that Keurig doesn't care with its high warranty rates. I called it in on Tuesday, and they tried to have me fix it over the phone by doing a few things to ensure that thing wasn't clogged with coffee grounds. They shipped me a new one, and it arrived this morning. The company doesn't care about quality -- it cares about perception and being able to sell a single-cup brewer for sub $100.
June 13th, 2014 at 10:39:12 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Planned Obsolesence? Remember those old GE refrigerators with the engine and heat exchanger on top and cold box below. Featured in the movies in the 30s, those things were built like tanks.

Of course there are life style considerations too. There are short term apartment complexes where everyone rents furniture and works on some computer project at a nearby military base. An entire army of short term project programmers who after two years will leave everything behind and go onward. The particle board is just perfect for them. Why have museum quality furniture if living a temporary lifestyle.

Remember when shirt collars were detachable? Now the collar gets frayed, the whole shirt gets ditched. Do a laundry? As one cop show said: ''donate your shirts to Goodwill on Friday, buy them back freshly laundered on Monday for 99 cents".

Have fresh Florida orange juice? Or orange juice from Chile and Mexico surely not fresh and probably pesticide tainted but sold a few cents cheaper.

Buy a Papermate Pen? I used to buy a woman some fifty cent pens designed for elementary school students. They were big, brightly colored and she could find them in her handbag. Five shoddy flashlights beat one sturdy one, since the cheapies are brightly colored and all over the place, but the sturdy one is black and can't be found when its needed.
June 14th, 2014 at 12:15:23 AM permalink
rxwine
Quote:
The Centennial Light is the world's longest-lasting light bulb. It is at 4550 East Avenue, Livermore, California, and maintained by the Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department.[1] The fire department says that the bulb is at least 113 years old and has been turned off only a handful of times. Due to its longevity, the bulb has been noted by The Guinness Book of World Records,[2] Ripley's Believe It or Not!, and General Electric.[3] It is often cited as evidence for the existence of planned obsolescence in later-produced light bulbs.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 14th, 2014 at 12:38:37 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: rxwine

I heard about this bulb 30 years ago. Thanks for
the update. It throws off very little actual light,
maybe 5 watts worth. But it's still going, what
the hell. Edison would be proud, even though
it's not an Edison bulb. It's an eery connection
to the past, ya gotta love the thing.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 14th, 2014 at 2:49:24 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Thinking about "squelch"...

Remember when you had a CB radio in the car? My parents would use it to figure out whether there were any smokies ahead on the freeway and to have occasional chats. I used to like to hang out in my parents van and listen to it early at night as the "skip" was tremendous and you could pick up CB chatter hundreds of miles away. It had a squelch knob to decrease the static. I like that feature.

You had to learn the "lingo", not just the obvious 10-4, but all of other codes as well to understand what they were saying.
June 23rd, 2014 at 9:56:59 AM permalink
Greasyjohn
Threads: 6
Quote: Evenbob
I haven't thought about this in decades. There was a time
from the late 50's and all thru the 60's when gas stations
gave stuff away if you bought a certain amount of gas.

Dinnerware, drinking glasses, Matchbox toy cars. There
was one that gave away Flintstone juice glasses. The point
was to keep going back and collect all of them. It was a
lot of fun for kids and seemed to go on forever. Of course
in the 60's there was a station on just about every corner
and there were constant gas wars on top of the givaways.

Remember those orange styrofoam 76 balls the people used to put on their antennas?
June 24th, 2014 at 9:03:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
When you go thru the boxes of pics or the fam
albums of you growing up, you can feel the age
of and get a sense of history by all the different
types of photos. B&W's from the 50's and 60's,
with the dates stamped on them. Poloroid's and
Kodak's with the color fading from the 60's and
70's. Kids these days will have none of that, they
will forever be on computers and memory sticks
and the color will never fade.

Saw a classic pic of 4 generations of my wifes
family men taken by a 5X7 camera in 1950 in
BW. Part of the classicness of it is because it
was taken by a 5X7 camera.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 24th, 2014 at 9:21:43 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: Evenbob
When you go thru the boxes of pics or the fam
albums of you growing up, you can feel the age
of and get a sense of history by all the different
types of photos. B&W's from the 50's and 60's,
with the dates stamped on them. Poloroid's and
Kodak's with the color fading from the 60's and
70's. Kids these days will have none of that, they
will forever be on computers and memory sticks
and the color will never fade.

Saw a classic pic of 4 generations of my wifes
family men taken by a 5X7 camera in 1950 in
BW. Part of the classicness of it is because it
was taken by a 5X7 camera.

I can still remember the goo when stripping a Polaroid and watching the picture develop.

Also, what were the square rotating flash bulbs that you snapped on the camera? Those were the great innovation over the single bulb in a dish.

I never actually used a box camera, but we had one for a long time that just stayed stored away. I suppose my parents used it at one time.