Airport reviews

September 28th, 2016 at 11:06:00 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: Nareed
I'd say for once a year it's not worth it at all. It would be $17 on top of every roundtrip fare. To me, that's pricy.

Also, it's not available on every airport or at every time, at least according to my reading of aviation blogs. And if you forget to add it on booking, or the travel or airline site screws up and doesn't add it to your ticket, you can't use it.

But if you travel several times per year to different places, then it's worth it.

The problem is that it shouldn't be necessary. About 90% of what the TSA does is really pointless ritual.

I signed up for the Pre-check and for me the hardest thing is remembering to add it to my reservation. There have been a few flights where I guess it saved me over an hour standing in TSA queues.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 28th, 2016 at 1:25:26 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: DRich
I signed up for the Pre-check and for me the hardest thing is remembering to add it to my reservation.

How hard would it be to get a card or something to put in an app that you could carry around at all times?

Quote:
There have been a few flights where I guess it saved me over an hour standing in TSA queues.

Have you ever found it closed when there are long lines, or not available where you fly to/from?

What I'd like to have is Global Entry, but with an average of just under one trip per year to the US, it would not make much sense.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 28th, 2016 at 1:50:29 PM permalink
DRich

Have you ever found it closed when there are long lines, or not available where you fly to/from?

I have not seen it closed but some of the smaller airports that I go to don't have it at all. Of course, the smaller airports usually aren't the ones with the long lines.
September 28th, 2016 at 4:03:25 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I have not seen it closed but some of the smaller airports that I go to don't have it at all. Of course, the smaller airports usually aren't the ones with the long lines.

We board transportation like buses and trains without any security all the time. Perhaps they should consider letting people board turboprops without going through security.
September 28th, 2016 at 4:22:25 PM permalink
Nareed
Of course, the smaller airports usually aren't the ones with the long lines.

Good point.
September 28th, 2016 at 4:25:41 PM permalink
Nareed
Changing topics, more than fixing the airports, what the US sorely needs is a fix for Air Traffic Control.
September 29th, 2016 at 11:03:55 AM permalink
DRich
Changing topics, more than fixing the airports, what the US sorely needs is a fix for Air Traffic Control.

To what extent? What aspects can be significantly improved upon? I know the technology is old but yet the safety record is pretty good. I guess we may be able to speed up some routing so flights are a little shorter but I really have no idea how much improvement would be realized.
September 29th, 2016 at 12:35:10 PM permalink
Nareed
To what extent? What aspects can be significantly improved upon?

To begin with, to split it from the FAA and to make its funding independent of the federal budget. ATC would still be funded by fees/taxes on tickets and fuel, but without the budget as intermediary.

Quote:
I know the technology is old but yet the safety record is pretty good. I guess we may be able to speed up some routing so flights are a little shorter but I really have no idea how much improvement would be realized.

There are small but cumulative benefits to what improvements could be made. Safety would be a tad better, fuel use would decline slightly, flight times might shorten, in some places traffic might ease a bit. When you add it all up, especially fuel, the benefits amount up over time.

I think I may have some links at home I can share.
September 29th, 2016 at 3:28:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
To what extent? What aspects can be significantly improved upon? I know the technology is old but yet the safety record is pretty good. I guess we may be able to speed up some routing so flights are a little shorter but I really have no idea how much improvement would be realized.

The most obvious answer to that question is it is crucial to switch everyone to ADS-B.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/

If MH370 happens to a USA plane, the lawsuits could be massive. But more practical is that it will help traffic control at airports.
September 29th, 2016 at 4:26:28 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: Pacomartin
The most obvious answer to that question is it is crucial to switch everyone to ADS-B.
https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/programs/adsb/faq/

I am the only one that is concerned about the idea that a huge solar flare or action by enemies could take out many/most of the satellites leaving everyone blind. They can also be hacked.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin