Airport reviews

July 31st, 2014 at 7:35:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Aeromexico did announce that some of them would be used domestically and on flights to NYC. I know that it seems silly, but it is partly a prestige run. You can sell a lot more business class seats. Ultimately it is expensive to use them on such short runs. But wide-bodies will ultimately increase exposure in Asia and Europe.

I really doubt this.

For one thing press accounts are notoriously prone to error and oversimplification. For another, they may refer to a few show flights only.

That said, lots of fligths to Asia leave from the West Coast of the US. As far as I know Aeromexico cannot pick up passengers in America and fly them to a third country. But they might send a widebody to Tokyo or Shanghai via Tijuana and entice some US fliers to take it. They may fly them to NYC, as they used to, but that depends on several factors.

Oh, and for a third thing airlines are notorious for telling the press what they wish they'd do rather than what they actually do..

Quote:
The secondary question is the market created by the acquisition of such a large number of single aisle jets.

Large-scale travel by air will become more common in Mexico if prices fall or purchasing power increases. A bigger supply of fligths will lower prices. I can't predict the future. It depends, too, on how many people want to go where and when. Long weekends and vacations are popualr travel times (naturally), and some destinations would benefit from cheaper fligths.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
July 31st, 2014 at 8:39:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed

Large-scale travel by air will become more common in Mexico if prices fall or purchasing power increases. A bigger supply of fligths will lower prices. I can't predict the future. It depends, too, on how many people want to go where and when. Long weekends and vacations are popualr travel times (naturally), and some destinations would benefit from cheaper fligths.

I am simply impressed by the scale. The Mexican airlines are purchasing enough aircraft to fly as many as an additional 30 million passengers per year. Since 1992 Mexican airlines have lost their percentage of the traffic going in and out of Mexico (to US, Canada, Latin American airlines). Copa (Compañía Panameña de Aviación) is carrying close to a million people in and out of Mexico.

That is very ambitious, not just from the point of view of paying passengers, but also from infrastructure.
July 31st, 2014 at 10:29:44 AM permalink
Nareed
I am simply impressed by the scale. The Mexican airlines are purchasing enough aircraft to fly as many as an additional 30 million passengers per year.

How many aircraft are they retiring?

Volaris and Interjet were founded in 2005, so maybe their fleet is still relatively new. Viva owns many old planes, and so does Aeromexico. as to why more American carriers operate here, I'm guessing a lack of supply from Mexican carriers. For example, I don't think any fly to Dallas, Phoenix, or anywhere in New Mexico. Also not all of Mexicana's routes to teh US have found takers.
July 31st, 2014 at 2:33:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
I just want one airline to offer non-stop service Las Vegas to Cancun. I would think they could justify it at least a few times a week.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
July 31st, 2014 at 3:00:48 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: DRich
I just want one airline to offer non-stop service Las Vegas to Cancun. I would think they could justify it at least a few times a week.

Common sense would indicate direct fligths between popular vacation spots would be rare indeed. Except when the vacation spot is also a major population and commerce or political center (NYC, Paris, London, etc).

Mexicana had a Mex City-Vegas flight with a stop in Cabo. But that's long gone.
July 31st, 2014 at 10:26:27 PM permalink
Pacomartin
How many aircraft are they retiring? Volaris and Interjet were founded in 2005, so maybe their fleet is still relatively new. Viva owns many old planes, and so does Aeromexico.

Not that many. When the half a dozen Mexican airlines went bankrupt they took most of the old jets with them.
  • Aerocalifornia
  • Aerovías Caribe S.A de C.V
  • Aviacsa (Consorcio Aviaxsa)
  • Avolar
  • Lineas Aereas Azteca
  • Mexicana (Mexicana de Aviación)

It's becoming less popular to start a low cost airline with old jets. They have high maintenance costs, low fuel efficency, and lease terms on new jets are better than they were ten years ago.

Viva is retiring their fourteen remaining Boeing 737-300's, and Aeromexico is retiring their six Boeing 767's. Magnicharters has not announced plans for their seven Boeing 737-300's, and Aeromar has an aging fleet of turbprops. But mostly Mexico has a relatively new fleet.

US airlines have a lot more older jets today (especially Southwest which has about 140 that will be retired in the next 4 years).

As to why more American carriers operate here, I'm guessing a lack of supply from Mexican carriers. For example, I don't think any fly to Dallas, Phoenix, or anywhere in New Mexico. Also not all of Mexicana's routes to teh US have found takers.

Mexicana left a big hole in international travel, and American, Canadian, European, and Central/South American companies filled it in the last decade.

ESTADÍSTICA DE TRÁFICO DE PASAJEROS 1992 2005 2013
REGULAR NACIONAL 14,280,479 19,828,618 30,487,547
EMPRESAS NACIONALES EN SERVICIO INTERNACIONAL 4,350,833 7,167,877 6,833,869
Total Estadounidenses 4,834,994 11,996,836 15,853,447
Total Europeas 458,388 1,577,929 2,033,377
Total Canadienses 40,418 584,234 2,401,605
Total Centro y Sudamericanas 413,881 961,349 2,396,846
Total Asiaticas 43,608 59,051 0
EMPRESAS INTERNACIONALES 5,791,289 15,179,399 22,685,275
TOTAL 24,422,601 42,175,894 60,006,691

Table shows regularly scheduled flights only. Not business or charter planes which would add another 3%-4%
August 1st, 2014 at 2:47:01 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Common sense would indicate direct fligths between popular vacation spots would be rare indeed. Except when the vacation spot is also a major population and commerce or political center (NYC, Paris, London, etc)..
Best way to get such a flight would be to have a resort in Cancun sponsor it .... whales fly into Cancun, ditch the wife and brats, fly to Vegas to play, fly back to Cancun a week later to reunite with the wife and kiddies and fly home.
August 1st, 2014 at 4:22:27 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: DRich

Given the number of destinations with at least seasonal/charter service, you would think that Vegas could get included.

All the Mexican airlines combined flew 4,830,106 passengers back and forth to the USA, while American/USAir merged numbers flew 4,943,855 (to Mexico). Perhaps if the Mexican companies grow stronger they can fill niche markets like Las Vegas-Cancun.

Quote: Nonstop destinations to Cancun
Delta Air Lines Atlanta, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St Paul
Seasonal: Boston, Cincinnati, Columbus (OH), Hartford/Springfield, Indianapolis, Memphis, Milwaukee, Nashville, Orlando, Raleigh/Durham, Salt Lake City, Tampa, Washington-Dulles

United Airlines Chicago O'Hare, Cleveland, Denver, Houston-Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Newark, San Francisco, Washington-Dulles Seasonal: Austin, San Antonio

American Airlines Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami, New York-JFK
US Airways Boston, Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix

AirTran Airways operated by Southwest Airlines :Atlanta (ends August 9, 2014), Austin (ends November 1, 2014), Baltimore (ends August 9, 2014), Chicago-Midway (ends November 1, 2014), Denver (ends October 5, 2014), Pittsburgh (ends August 9, 2014), San Antonio (ends August 9, 2014)
Seasonal: Milwaukee (ends August 9, 2014)

Southwest Airlines Atlanta (begins August 10, 2014), Austin (begins November 2, 2014), Baltimore (begins August 10, 2014), Chicago-Midway (begins November 2, 2014), Denver (begins October 7, 2014)
Seasonal: Milwaukee (begins August 10, 2014)

Alaska Airlines Seasonal: Seattle/Tacoma (begins November 6, 2014)

Frontier Airlines Denver
Seasonal: Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Salt Lake City

JetBlue Airways Boston, Fort Lauderdale, New York-JFK, Orlando

Spirit Airlines Dallas/Fort Worth, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale

Virgin America Los Angeles, San Francisco

Charter

Apple Vacations
operated by AirTran Airways Seasonal Charter: Detroit, Pittsburgh

Apple Vacations
operated by Allegiant Air Seasonal Charter: Newburgh (NY)

Apple Vacations
operated by Frontier Airlines Charter: Chicago-O'Hare, Philadelphia
Seasonal: Chicago-Rockford, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Lansing, Newport News, Pittsburgh, St. Louis

Apple Vacations
operated by Sun Country Airlines Charter: Minneapolis/St Paul

Sun Country Airlines Charter: Dallas/Fort Worth, Minneapolis/St. Paul

Aeroméxico

Aeroméxico Miami, New York-JFK
Seasonal: Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston-Intercontinental, Los Angeles, Nashville,

Vacation Express operated by Aeromexico Seasonal Charter: Charlotte, Columbus (OH), Memphis, Nashville, New Orleans, Raleigh/Durham, Richmond

CANADA
Air Canada Calgary
Seasonal: Halifax, Ottawa, Winnipeg

Air Canada Rouge Montréal-Trudeau, Toronto-Pearson

Air Transat Montreal-Trudeau, Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver
Seasonal: Calgary, Edmonton, Halifax, Québec City, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg

WestJet Calgary, Edmonton, Montréal-Trudeau, Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver
Seasonal: Halifax, Hamilton, Kelowna, London (ON), Moncton, Ottawa, Quebec City, Regina, Saskatoon, Victoria, Winnipeg

Sunwing Airlines Charter: Bagotville, Edmonton, Halifax, London (ON), Montréal-Trudeau, Québec City, Regina, Saint John, Saskatoon, Sault Ste. Marie, Toronto-Pearson, Vancouver, Winnipeg
August 1st, 2014 at 6:25:47 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I really doubt this.
For one thing press accounts are notoriously prone to error and oversimplification. For another, they may refer to a few show flights only.

I checked the records and Aeromexico has been flying a widebody 787 from Mexico City to NYC since September 2013. I was thinking about this, and the majority of major airports in the USA are 6-10 hours from major European hubs. It is relatively easy to fly to Euorope and have the jet available 24 hours later to start the cycle again.

Mexico city is 10:45 to 12:00 hours to the European hubs (Madrid, Paris, London). When you add in layover time you go well over 24 hours. I think they need a short flight to do on opposite days so the jet is available for a new cycle.

The round trip flight to Tokyo from Mexico City on B787 is 39 hours with an 8 hour layover in Tokyo. The flight to Shanghai on a B777 is 40 hours (because layover is less than 5 hours).
August 1st, 2014 at 1:19:02 PM permalink
Nareed
[..] and Aeromar has an aging fleet of turbprops.

They've been adding some tiny "regional" jets, either Brazillian or Canadian.

Turboprops are neat, but they're too slow in these times.

Quote:
Mexicana left a big hole in international travel, and American, Canadian, European, and Central/South American companies filled it in the last decade.

Voalris and Interjet were sloooooow muscling-in to the international trade. The time to do it was when they were charging so little they were competitive with the bus lines. Eventually they did go in, but mostly after Mexicana failed.