Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

November 3rd, 2021 at 11:30:18 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: missedhervee
Not zoom: YouTube.

I "vacation" near daily via YouTube, viewing videos shot from across the world.

Why spend the money and time to travel around the world when it can, quite literally, be found "at your finger tips?"

Gotta see for yourself
Watch too much youtube
You may come away thinking Portland is over :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:15:43 PM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
I traveled the land as a youth, camping, hiking, roughing it.

Now as I approach my dotage I prefer an easier path.

"Seeing for yoursell" is often over-rated, especially if you must endure the rigors of traveling half way across the world to see it.

No, give me a good travel video anyday: that way I can see a lot more in the same amount of time.

I hate the travel part, especially schlepping luggage to and fro hotels: bah, humbug.
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:36:06 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

"Seeing for yoursell" is often over-rated, especially if you must endure the rigors of traveling half way across the world to see it.

No, give me a good travel video anyday: that way I can see a lot more in the same amount of time.

I hate the travel part, especially schlepping luggage to and fro hotels: bah, humbug.

I agree with you on the early part, too me a Holiday Inn is now roughing it. I love travelling the world because you can choose what you want to see. On videos you only get to see what others saw.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 3rd, 2021 at 12:51:08 PM permalink
missedhervee
I've watched a lot of YouTube videos from an Englishman going by "Bald and Bankrupt" that focus on the former USSR; watchng his videos I learn and see more than I could ever glean by going on my own.

Wife and I did an Alaskan glacier cruise with Holland America and enjoyed it; we hope to do a Mediterranean cruise as well, using the ship as our floating hotel.

But no trips to Nepal, or Norway for me: it's a lot easier to view far away lands from the comfort of my home.

To each his own.
November 3rd, 2021 at 1:00:20 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189

You can get get a VR headset and make traveling 3d. And also effortless.

Everything from actual museum tours, to mountain climbing, to the completely imaginary.

DRich could watch sports from the sidelines, or in a room in Buckingham Palace. (Yes you can watch a virtual tv in a virtual room. ). You can even have friends, or family from all over the world watch it with you in real time in your virtual room, and play a virtual board game if you want and talk to each other.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 3rd, 2021 at 1:19:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO
I think EB already does this? s.

More or less. Traveling sucks. It's something that sounds good but is one continuous inconvenience and hassle until it's finally over and you're home again. Sleeping in beds that are not my own, which means I don't sleep. Eating expensive food in restaurants that's bland and overcooked. Having to constantly deal with other people, traffic, hurry up and wait, inconvenience after inconvenience, and on top of it I'm always tired. Mark Twain felt the same way about traveling in the late 19th century, for mostly the same reasons I just listed. He loved being home surrounded by his possessions in his own bed. He loved his bed so much he would wake up at 9 a.m., get served breakfast in bed, then stay in bed working on his writing till after noon. Mark Twain and I would have gotten along very well. We have similar outlooks on the world. We hate traveling, disdain organized religions, think all politicians are crooks, and think very highly of ourselves and our opinions.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 22nd, 2021 at 10:57:07 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
"Taxpayer-funded National Public Radio (NPR) reports the non-stop drumbeat of propaganda on how only a few years remain for the planet and its inhabitants if climate change isn’t stopped is now causing mental health problems for some activists."

No kidding, what a shock. People who run around screaming 'the sky is falling the sky is falling' like Chicken Little have mental issues to begin with. I've been hearing this crap since the eighties here we are, still chugging right along. The South Pole just had the coldest winter in history making more ice than any time in history. The South Pole was supposed to be thawed by now and flooding New York City up to the 14th floor. oops for every Glacier in the world it's receding there's one that's growing. Oh well, crackpot theories always bite the dust eventually.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 22nd, 2022 at 5:38:58 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The Guardian: 'The treeline is out of control': how the climate crisis is turning the Arctic green.
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2022/jan/20/norway-arctic-circle-trees-sami-reindeer-global-heating

A very good read. Fascinating
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 12th, 2022 at 12:25:39 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Birds dropping out of the sky.

Quote:

Doctors in an animal hospital managed by the non-profit Jivdaya Charitable Trust in Ahmedabad said they have treated thousands of birds in the last few weeks, adding that rescuers bring dozens of high flying birds such as pigeons or kites daily.

“This year has been one of the worst in recent times. We have seen a 10 percent increase in the number of birds that need rescuing,” said Manoj Bhavsar, who works closely with the trust and has been rescuing birds for more than a decade.

Animal doctors at the trust-run hospital were seen feeding birds multi-vitamin tablets and injecting water into their mouths using syringes on Wednesday.

Health officials in Gujarat have issued advisories to hospitals to set up special wards for heat stroke and other heat-related diseases due to the rise in temperatures.

Extreme heat kills at least 25 in India’s Maharashtra state

Scorching weather forces India to face climate change head on

‘Hottest summer ever’: Many Indian states under ‘severe’ heatwave
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 12th, 2022 at 1:45:10 PM permalink
missedhervee
Quote: Evenbob
" The South Pole just had the coldest winter in history making more ice than any time in history.

follow up: https://www.livescience.com/south-pole-coldest-winter-record

Yes, that is cetainly an anomoly...just like Portland hit 116 degrees last June (summer had barely begun), which beat the old record for highest temp ever in Portland by ten degrees.

Think of it...ten degrees higher than the prior all time record for any day of the year in Portland.

Temp in Pakistan hit 120 degrees already.