Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

October 23rd, 2015 at 6:57:05 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
If you don't think small changes can make a difference keep your freezer at 33F week after week and see what happens.

A controlled, small area like a freezer and a planet can hardly be compared. Additionally, you are talking two different things, actually changing a temperature vs. changing inputs (CO2) that might or might not affect the temperature. And oh yeah, moving a fridge to 33F is 5-10Xs more of a degree-change than is being claimed by the believers as happening to the planet, and it is at a critical point of the freezing of H2O, not a more random point.

Nice try.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2015 at 7:02:51 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
I could have used oxygen to the brain or a number of things. Because the point is, it's not the small percentage, it's at what critical point it occurs and for how long.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 23rd, 2015 at 7:17:45 PM permalink
AZDuffman
I could have used oxygen to the brain or a number of things. Because the point is, it's not the small percentage, it's at what critical point it occurs and for how long.

Any example would be some small, individual example with probably one input. Changing CO2 is one of many inputs in the atmosphere.

What really seems to be driving you and the other AGW believers nuts is that I am actually pointing out that all of man's CO2 is just 5% of the total CO2 being produced. Few people ever hear this from the lamestream media.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2015 at 7:41:03 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Any example would be some small, individual example with probably one input. Changing CO2 is one of many inputs in the atmosphere.

What really seems to be driving you and the other AGW believers nuts is that I am actually pointing out that all of man's CO2 is just 5% of the total CO2 being produced. Few people ever hear this from the lamestream media.

Pretty sure I haven't read a convincing counter-argument yet.

The percentage matters less than whether you're crossing a critical boundary. That's why I pointed it out.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 23rd, 2015 at 7:47:01 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Pretty sure I haven't read a convincing counter-argument yet.

Strange as I have not heard a convincing argument yet. All I hear is "the scientists said so thus it must never be questioned!" Be honest, did you even know man is only responsible for 5% of CO2 before I brought it up here?

Quote:
The percentage matters less than whether you're crossing a critical boundary. That's why I pointed it out.

But you have not proven any critical boundary. Just that because we have increased the amount by 1.5% then we must all be going to melt or something.
The President is a fink.
October 23rd, 2015 at 8:10:02 PM permalink
rxwine
Quote: AZDuffman
Strange as I have not heard a convincing argument yet. All I hear is "the scientists said so thus it must never be questioned!" Be honest, did you even know man is only responsible for 5% of CO2 before I brought it up here?

First time you asked me for an argument so far. Here you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ9hPl9dl98&feature=player_embedded#t=153
October 23rd, 2015 at 11:17:58 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I heard an interesting comment on a documentary. Brazil makes ethanol out of sugar cane and is able to produce 7X as much energy for X energy put into the process. Today about 50% of vehicles are running on ethanol. In comparison ethanol made from corn in the USA results in X energy produced for X energy put into the process. So there is no multipliers at all.

Brazilian National Alcohol Program, ProAlcóol, was launched in 1975 as a response to soaring oil prices and a crisis in the international sugar market. Together, Brazil and the United States lead the industrial production of ethanol fuel, accounting together for 87.1 percent in 2011.
October 27th, 2015 at 2:32:31 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There are problems with ethanol.... distribution via pipelines and the "drying" nature of the ethanol.

Taking farmland away from production versus using mounds of what is there already. Brazil used to burn mountains of coffee. Now it takes sugar cane residue and "burns" it chemically into ethanol. Nothing changed in the early seventies about sugar except its price.
The Arabs started buying it. All of it. That's all.

Its the same thing with our feeding corn to animals, you look at the alternatives. Nothing will make sense until confined feeding is banned.

As to global warming... look at all those homes in Alaska that are breaking as they slowly slip into melted Permafrost that is no longer quite so Perm or quite so Frosty. Look at all those ten year photos of ice roads bounded by icy land and you now have mud roads bou
nded by muddy fields. But Climate Warming is a One Issue topic sort of like Guns. If you believe in a warming climate caused by industry the Koch brothers will hire a hit team to get you out of office despite any other stances you take on other issues.

What is a geologic scale? About the same thing as a Time Year in astronomy. Beyond my ken.
October 27th, 2015 at 2:49:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
There are problems with ethanol.... distribution via pipelines and the "drying" nature of the ethanol.

Ethanol cannot be distributed via pipeline. Just one of the many problems with it. The only real reason we use it is the IA caucus. No rational person would suggest we use the source and process we have today. Perhaps in the future we will get a better method. Some have suggested switchgrass or some other source. But this use of corn is crazy.

Quote:
If you believe in a warming climate caused by industry the Koch brothers will hire a hit team to get you out of office despite any other stances you take on other issues.

If you deny it the hit team will be hired by George Soros. Take your pick.
The President is a fink.
October 27th, 2015 at 4:09:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I think a very reasonable stance on the matter of acceding to the demands of our Anointed Ones when it comes to Climate Change is to dismiss all of it as idiotic out of hand as long as we have the Ethanol Mandate in its current form.

This is a reasonable stance even if you "believe" in climate change.

btw the cost of beef and pork in particular would plummet
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]