Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

September 14th, 2018 at 7:40:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff

I wonder if the newscasters really think it is proper to declare a two week period as "proof" of climate change which obviously relates to much larger time scale. Just how many such two week periods exist as proof of anything? I went two weeks without a drink recently. Is that proof that I am not a drunkard? Its been a long time since I've had a craps game but that is more proof of living in Florida where craps is illegal than of not being a gambler.

It is all because Trump is in office. Remember Katrina when some German gov official blamed Bush for Katrina? They know their global warming story keeps getting questioned more and more. Bush pulled out of Kyoto almost 20 years ago, nothing bad happened. Gore said the effects of GW would be impossible to reverse in 10 years 13 years ago. Nothing has happened.

But the story has to keep getting pushed, they are too invested.
The President is a fink.
September 14th, 2018 at 8:05:04 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Politicians by nature are rarely 'invested'.... they will go whichever way the wind blows.
September 14th, 2018 at 8:07:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Politicians by nature are rarely 'invested'.... they will go whichever way the wind blows.

True, but the GW crowd is more than pols, it is an entire industrial complex. Lots of dupes out there helping Algore live in his 17 room mansion while they beg to freeze in the dark. GW is their god.
The President is a fink.
September 21st, 2018 at 2:05:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: AZDuffman
Glaciers have been retreating for 10,000 years or more.
True, I suppose. At least various retreats are cited. Even my recent post about a spear being found in the Yukon was found because glaciers melt and reveal the long-ago artifacts.

Yet, the situation seems severe in Turpan. Not only is the environment hostile (cold winters and unbearably hot summers) but it is a major growing area for grapes, melons, etc. which are obviously 'thirsty' crops.

Now the area does indeed have the Talaklaman Desert. It is very large. It is very hot. It is utterly dry. There is absolutely no way that ancient writers who visited the area would have left us accounts of the area as they did but somehow omitted all mention of this major desert. The only conclusion that can logically be reached is that at the time the journals were written and the ancient maps drawn the Talakman Desert did not exist. Well it certainly exists now and has existed for a very long time so this itself can be viewed as evidence of a water debt induced by glacier melting.

The problem is that of the famed "tipping point". Grape drying chunches abound in the area and have for a very long time but now such crops appear threatened. The receeding glaciers still supply water. Wells are not dry but no longer are the water supplies abundant and it seems no longer are the water supplies sufficient.

Iran, Iraq, Turkey, China have long had ice houses in the desert for food preservation and air conditioning but now it seems they too are disappearing not only from the landscape but from the language.
September 21st, 2018 at 2:08:27 PM permalink
AZDuffman
True, I suppose. At least various retreats are cited. Even my recent post about a spear being found in the Yukon was found because glaciers melt and reveal the long-ago artifacts.

Yet, the situation seems severe in Turpan. Not only is the environment hostile (cold winters and unbearably hot summers) but it is a major growing area for grapes, melons, etc. which are obviously 'thirsty' crops.

Now the area does indeed have the Talaklaman Desert. It is very large. It is very hot. It is utterly dry. There is absolutely no way that ancient writers who visited the area would have left us accounts of the area as they did but somehow omitted all mention of this major desert. The only conclusion that can logically be reached is that at the time the journals were written and the ancient maps drawn the Talakman Desert did not exist. Well it certainly exists now and has existed for a very long time so this itself can be viewed as evidence of a water debt induced by glacier melting.

The problem is that of the famed "tipping point". Grape drying chunches abound in the area and have for a very long time but now such crops appear threatened. The receeding glaciers still supply water. Wells are not dry but no longer are the water supplies abundant and it seems no longer are the water supplies sufficient.

Iran, Iraq, Turkey, China have long had ice houses in the desert for food preservation and air conditioning but now it seems they too are disappearing not only from the landscape but from the language.

It has been on this course since the end of the ice age. Climate changes. We are not causing it nor can we avert it.
The President is a fink.
September 21st, 2018 at 2:47:48 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Climate changes. We are not causing it nor can we avert it.
Perhaps but we need not accelerate it or fail in our efforts to retard it.
Though focusing on extremely short time periods is foolish.
September 21st, 2018 at 7:04:03 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Perhaps but we need not accelerate it or fail in our efforts to retard it.
Though focusing on extremely short time periods is foolish.

We are not doing the former and cannot do the later. To say that the current temperature is the "right" temperature is the height of humanist arrogance. I agree on not focusing on short time periods. Any time period less than 1 million years is "short" on a 4,500,000 million year old planet.
The President is a fink.
September 21st, 2018 at 8:39:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
1 million years is "short" on a 4,500,000 4,500,000,000 million year old planet.

I fixed that for you..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 22nd, 2018 at 10:28:47 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: Evenbob
1 million years is "short" on a 4,500,000 4,500,000,000 million year old planet.

I fixed that for you..

No, it remains incorrect.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 22nd, 2018 at 11:08:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: JimRockford
Quote: Evenbob

I fixed that for you..

No, it remains incorrect.

4.5 billion year old planet

4,000,000,000 = 4 thousand million

1 thousand million = 1 billion
The President is a fink.