Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

January 13th, 2020 at 9:47:06 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: SOOPOO

Although, it was 60 here in Buffalo yesterday. That should be proof enough that GW is real!

So when it was 60 in Buffalo 75
years ago in Jan, what was that
proof of.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2020 at 10:10:44 AM permalink
Evenbob
Record Farm Yields Contradict Climate Doomsayers’ Claim

"The USDA projects this year’s corn, soybean, and wheat yields to each be among the top six years all-time. At the global level, the UN Food and Agriculture’s “World Food Situation” website documents the same strong, consistent crop growth globally, with new records being set virtually every year."

http://www.fao.org/worldfoodsituation/csdb/en/

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Publications/Todays_Reports/reports/croptr19.pdf

So much for GW destroying the
worlds food supply.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
January 13th, 2020 at 10:44:19 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: SOOPOO
Thanks Kenarman and AZ. I agree with you that there is no ironclad proof the GW is predominantly a man made occurrence. But I would certainly state that the preponderance of evidence supports that. For every article or study either one of you can show, there are 50 to 100 that show the opposite.

Although, it was 60 here in Buffalo yesterday. That should be proof enough that GW is real!

Except every article or study has the same flaw of not a long enough data set. 10000 years ago North America was covered in glaciers. So we know warming has been happening for some time.

It’s a money grab.
The President is a fink.
January 13th, 2020 at 11:39:59 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
I'd be curious if you did any medical practices that 97% of your profession disagreed with. Can you think of any?

If you mean 'did I do something that 97 out of 100 anesthesiologists felt is not acceptable practice', I would say no. I phrase it that way because there are things I see a colleague do that I would do differently, but do not inherently think is not acceptable.
January 13th, 2020 at 1:06:19 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Seems to me that continuing to resist is plain stupid. I empathize and even agree with some of the resistance comments about money grabs and power plays, but not wholesale in the face of fact. Here's my novelized argument and damn the brevity...

"It's not man made!". Who gives a s#$%? The fact that it snows in NY is not the fault of human, yet we still take steps to ensure our home is habitable. I have no part in the temp raising 80* over the course of the next 6 months, but I'm also not gonna stay in sweetpants and a hoody come June because I would die. I make changes to what I can to account for that which I can't, again, so I don't die. Suggest the same be done for Earth and you get resistance. That's idiotic.

"It's about the money!" Yeah. YOURS. If we were taking bets, know who I'd vote for as "most green in the forum"? Assuming I could not vote for self, I'd vote for AZD. Why? Cuz of reduce-reuse-recycle, the most important is reduce. And who's cut the most bulls#$% of us all? AZD. Who's vocal about repurposing, reusing, ceasing a consumerist lifestyle? AZD. Who's urban farming? AZD. This is what "being green" is about. Buy as little as you can, but quality stuff so it lasts, and as a last resort, recycle it. That's not a quasi-religion, that beautiful, sensible responsibility that you should champion for myriad reasons, including proper financial health. It just so happens that it's also very green. Yet, resistance. That's idiotic.

"Warm and wet = more growth!". This offends me more as a biologist, but bear with me. It's true on its face; a warmer and wetter Earth would result in longer growing seasons and more exposed land on which to grow. What it ignores is, well, that list is nigh infinite, but to the point, plants do not "grow better" when it's warm and wet, they grow better when they're in the environment in which they evolved to thrive. Period, end of sentence, and the same goes for every single other living organism on the planet. You change the area these things can grow in and you're disrupting, at the very least, the entire logistics of our entire food industry, to say nothing of environmental collapse of biodiversity for non crop plants and animals. You can't just "move a farm".

"Warm and wet = more disease and infestations!" That's right, you never hear about this one. Warm and wet is (most) bacteria's bread and butter, and we north of the Mason Dixon enjoy quite a different experience than our friend Fleastiff. When's the last time we saw a cockroach? A boll weavel? Diamondback moths or Hessian flies? NY warms up enough and suddenly all this s#$% can survive here. WNY wine country, if I'm not mistaken, is top 5 IN THE WORLD. And now it's getting raped by Carolina bugs. What're my wineries gonna do, uproot and move to Sudbury?

I'll get ready to stop as I could just go on and on with no point. My biggest point is the second in this list, that being that it's in your best interest. And not some intangible "save the world" sense, but directly and to you personally. It's money in your pocket. Anti consumption = pro cash in hand. But my second big point I'm going to pose directly...

SOOP, EB, and AZD. Forget the argument, forget climate, forget the debate. Every one of you is part of my Great Lakes, Rust Belt family. Every one of you has been to some local waterfront. Every one of you knows of derelict factories, polluted properties, uncapped sludge pits, events that have made national news (Cleveland river fire, Love Canal, et al). Every one of you is affected by beach closings, swimming bans, drinking bans, boiling water. I've seen you in the food threads arguing about proper consumption limits for fish, which is 100% directly caused by human industry. How, how in all the world, can you be exposed to ALL OF THIS, yet put your priority on buying a paper for $0.07 and selling it for $0.12?! How do you, SOOP, go to Mallorca or the Maldives or wherever tf, then come home and be like "Yup, looks like we could peel a few more regs back!"?

I get some of what you're saying. Even beyond the "do as I say not as I do" vocalizers jet setting across the globe telling you not to drive a car, I too see those that are in it more as a personality than for actually giving a s#$%, and they say the right things and wear the right outfit, but are as blindly consumerist and therefore damaging as anyone else. What I don't get is what looks to me like so much resistance you'll shoot your own nose off to spite your face, which, of course, is only an assumption based on words as I don't know your every action. But as people living in the pits, which I consider all 4 of us to be doing, I can't conceive of someone being anything but staunchly pro environment. You LIVED through it. Why are you so adamant to return to it?

I think I've given a good idea of why I'm a bit of a BANANA (Build Anything Nowhere And Nothing Anywhere), what with my penchant for the outdoors and my juxtaposition to a Superfund site. Can you do anything to help me understand yours? All I can see is either "I'm scared for my money" or "I want more money". I assume there must be something more to it...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
January 13th, 2020 at 1:12:23 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I'd be curious if you did any medical practices that 97% of your profession disagreed with. Can you think of any?
Listen to that video I posted and you will see that this 97% thing is a complete canard.

That you would assume otherwise is due to listening to the media and thinking "I've listened to the science now".

Yeah, I know, the thing is pretty long, so here it is starting at where he talks about the 97%

https://youtu.be/RZlICdawHRA?t=966
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 13th, 2020 at 1:19:31 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I didn’t realize anyone noticed my minimalist ways.
The President is a fink.
January 13th, 2020 at 1:51:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Listen to that video I posted and you will see that this 97% thing is a complete canard.

That you would assume otherwise is due to listening to the media and thinking "I've listened to the science now".

Yeah, I know, the thing is pretty long, so here it is starting at where he talks about the 97%

https://youtu.be/RZlICdawHRA?t=966

I don't consider NASA the media.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
January 13th, 2020 at 2:07:48 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I don't consider NASA the media.
alas it has turned into something even worse on the matter of climate alarmism

note that it isn't NASA that did the 97% study, just NASA that is also going along with the 97% lie
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
January 13th, 2020 at 2:08:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Like somebody pointed out, it's been
warming more or less since the last
ice age. Why panic over it. Nothing
we cab do.