Climate Change -- conspiracy theory or is it time we all drive a Prius?

February 16th, 2021 at 7:28:40 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: petroglyph
As long as the back up gens at the cell towers have fuel.

One of the reports I read yesterday said cell towers were going down. Running out of fuel and natural gas lines are having problems too for those on gas generators.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
February 16th, 2021 at 8:20:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: kenarman
One of the reports I read yesterday said cell towers were going down. Running out of fuel and natural gas lines are having problems too for those on gas generators.
I was at Harrah's in Laughlin a few years back when the power went out. Standing at a crap table and waiting for a payout [on a place 8] and it went dark in there, but they had back up gens, those ran out of fuel after ten minutes. Lucky they even came up, I doubt whether they test run them any more often than Fukushima?

The dealers splayed themselves out over the chips so no one grabbed any, at least they were trained to look out after the house. /s
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 17th, 2021 at 2:36:39 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: kenarman

That is big as gas lines are usually the last thing to fail.
The President is a fink.
February 17th, 2021 at 4:56:32 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I know people with wood stoves. I'd show up, with some wood, if I thought I was going to freeze. After draining my pipes.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
February 17th, 2021 at 11:45:36 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote:
It’s estimated that about 80% of the grid’s capacity, or 67 gigawatts, could be generated by natural gas, coal and some nuclear power. Only 7% of ERCOT’s forecasted winter capacity, or 6 gigawatts, was expected to come from various wind power sources across the state.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/02/16/natural-gas-power-storm/
Turns out Texas is getting more capacity from wind than what they expected in their winter emergency plan. The primary problem is surge in demand at the same time as massive failure of coal, gas and nuclear power plant equipment including pumps and pipelines to deliver natural gas. Yes, all of the above could have been winterized.

Seems like more than half the houses in the Austin area are without power and now people are beginning to lose water. Cell service has been great. Data is a little slow because so many people are using mobile hot spots to connect. The forecast for Saturday is 70 degrees so it will soon melt away. But who knows how long it will take for everything to get sorted out and back to normal.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 17th, 2021 at 11:57:14 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: JimRockford
Turns out Texas is getting more capacity from wind than what they expected in their winter emergency plan. The primary problem is surge in demand at the same time as massive failure of coal, gas and nuclear power plant equipment including pumps and pipelines to deliver natural gas. Yes, all of the above could have been winterized.

Winterizing would have been labeled a tax scam by conservatives in the state.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 17th, 2021 at 12:07:11 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: JimRockford

Seems like more than half the houses in the Austin area are without power and now people are beginning to lose water. Cell service has been great. Data is a little slow because so many people are using mobile hot spots to connect. The forecast for Saturday is 70 degrees so it will soon melt away. But who knows how long it will take for everything to get sorted out and back to normal.
I wanted to see if there were any articles that dared to say wind power isn't all it's cracked up to be during sales pitches. Every link I clicked went directly to dozens of pages shedding blame off of wind power like water from a ducks back.
February 17th, 2021 at 1:00:01 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Power knocked offline:
Wind/Solar 18,000 MW
Coal/gas/Nuclear 28,000 MW
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
February 17th, 2021 at 1:08:52 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: rxwine
Winterizing would have been labeled a tax scam by conservatives in the state.

What do utilities have to do with taxes?
The President is a fink.
February 17th, 2021 at 1:22:48 PM permalink
petroglyph
Quote: Dalex64
Power knocked offline:
Wind/Solar 18,000 MW
Coal/gas/Nuclear 28,000 MW
Apples and oranges