Korean Ferry Is it foreigners?

Page 1 of 41234>
April 21st, 2014 at 1:25:52 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I wonder if its a matter of foreign culture or not?

Third officer had the con and was navigating difficult waters for the first time while unsupervised and Captain was off the bridge.

Radio calls were to "wrong" Marine Traffic Control.

Calls asking about 'are ships nearby to rescue any evacuees' was met with advice to have evacuees wear warm clothing and life vests, instead of Yes. One ship is in your immediate area and able to pick up evacuees.

Trouble started with a very sharp turn with a resulting list that was severe. Third officer refuses to say WHY she made the turn that may have caused cargo to shift.

RoRos are subject to listing if deck gets water on it since the sloshing is un=dampened, but it appears there may not have been any leak, it was shifting cargo.

No order to abandon ship until after public address system appears to have failed.
April 21st, 2014 at 6:11:50 PM permalink
Tomspur
Threads: 4
Just an inexcusable grouping of absolute amaturish mistakes. The captain should have his privates stuck in a meatgrinder and even then, that will not be even remotely enough punishment!!!

The master is in ultimate control of the vessel and for him to not be on the bridge during difficult maneuvers is absolutely inexcusable. Then, even after the ship had listed past 9 degrees, he still thought it was salvagable and that evacuation was not necessary........

I have no doubt in my mind, if they leave the captain alone for even 5 minutes, he will find a way to end his own life!!! The assitant principal had already done so. Culturally the Koreans and Japanese share a very similar thought process with regards to honor and respect. (Just don't tell either group that, they HATE each other).

A supremely sad event just so soon before Easter. T watch what these families are going through on a daily basis on TV is just heart breaking........
April 21st, 2014 at 6:22:07 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Tomspur
(Just don't tell either group that, they HATE each other).

You never want to mistake a Korean for a Japanese,
or vice versa. It's a mistake you make only once.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 21st, 2014 at 7:35:02 PM permalink
Tomspur
Quote: Evenbob

To be honest when I first came over here, it was difficult for me to distinguish between Japanese and Koreans but now that I have some experience it is quite easy. The Chinese can never be confused with either race group. They are quite unique in their facial features. Obviously Taiwanese and Chinese share some ancestry so they look relatively similar although I have met several Taiwanese that look strikingly Korean.

The fued goes back to WWII and it involves women.......it has obviously spread over the years to include Islands and the like but the central theme will always be women and the Japanese abusing the Korean women.
April 21st, 2014 at 7:42:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

Unless the Korean is faking being Japanese, common even in USA but a matter of survival in Japan.
The President is a fink.
April 21st, 2014 at 8:50:22 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: AZDuffman
Unless the Korean is faking being Japanese, common even in USA but a matter of survival in Japan.

I learned it in Hawaii when I lived there and
all the Asians hated each others guts. It was
not a fun place..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 21st, 2014 at 8:57:47 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Tomspur

The fued goes back to WWII .

It actually goes back to 1910, when Japan annexed
Korea. But nobody in Asia likes Korea particularly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Korean_sentiment
April 21st, 2014 at 9:11:24 PM permalink
Tomspur
It actually goes back to 1910, when Japan annexed
Korea. But nobody in Asia likes Korea particularly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Korean_sentiment

A lot of those sentiments are based on newer contemporary attitudes as the article relates. I find them to be very agreeable people and very good people too. I do find some of the things they do a little off putting but nothing remotely close to me wanting to harbor anti-Korean sentiment.

Seems like most people just jump on the bandwagon.
April 21st, 2014 at 10:43:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
All Asian cultures are very clannish, they think
they're the best. The Japanese are especially
bad, they don't allow immigration of any kind.
They still believe they are the one and perfect
culture. In some ways I agree. They have a lot
of positive things going for them.
April 22nd, 2014 at 1:08:22 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
It appears that schoolchildren were phoning the local police emergency number within a few minutes of the high speed turn having been made. Initial calls were merely transferred to the Coast Guard and it appears early reports of schoolchildren were not taken seriously or acted upon.

No information much less orders left the bridge even as the list increased and crew members kept asking questions. It seems there was a slavish adherence to the "manual" which was to broadcast orders to stay where you are.

It doesn't even appear that there were designated muster stations or that passengers had been assigned to muster stations much less ordered to go there.
Page 1 of 41234>