April 23rd, 2014 at 6:43:54 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
I need one. Any tips?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 23rd, 2014 at 6:54:49 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Don't get electric. The power is ample and it's always there, but getting the extension cord all tangled in the shrubs is the height of frustration.

Avoid two stroke. Mixing gas is so 1970 =p Kidding, kind of. My boat's two stroke, it's not the end of the world. But it's just one more thing you have to do and keep in stock.

I dunno that I've ever had a "bad" weed whacker. I just grabbed the cheapest 4-stroke Toro they had at Lowes and I love it. Fills with gas easy, chokes and starts right up, warms up in about 20 seconds, and I'm off and ripping. The only issue I can even think of is an old 80's era one I had that the line storage was stupid and kept unraveling and tangling. That was more a product of wear and being beat than anything.

I assume, though, that you're talking yard and not field. Mine takes down large weeds and even wooded sapling with ease, but vines (no matter what size) and saplings thicker than your pinky are above its ability.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 23rd, 2014 at 6:57:41 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
what about cordless?
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 23rd, 2014 at 6:57:54 AM permalink
Face
Oh, and I use a regular line feed one. I never had luck with those bladed deals.

I think there's even ones with different head attachments, so you can use it as a liner, like around the driveway/sidewalk, or even have a small rototiller head. Dunno about all those.
April 23rd, 2014 at 6:59:51 AM permalink
Face
Quote: odiousgambit
what about cordless?

Like battery? Pfft. Anything and everything battery sucks. You wanna do half your yard one day and do the other half after 12 hours of charging? I know where you live; you want to remove the battery and store it every winter so it doesn't get ruined? You want to pay $50 or whatever every spring because you forgot to store the battery and it froze?

To hell with battery =p