Alternative to electric car

Page 4 of 6<123456>
May 6th, 2014 at 1:55:06 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
For going long distance (10 or more miles), I don't think I want to stand on that solowheel and would take a electric bicycle over it if I had to pick one. But for shorter distances I could use the wheel.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 6th, 2014 at 4:46:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: rxwine
For going long distance (10 or more miles), I don't think I want to stand on that solowheel and would take a electric bicycle over it if I had to pick one. But for shorter distances I could use the wheel.

When the downtown transit hub is opened in Manhattan (building with spines), it will be less than 1 mile to any office building in the downtown.

I think there are 21 subway stations south of Canal Street, but most of them are useful to ride a subway to another portion of the city. They are not very useful for getting around downtown.
May 27th, 2014 at 6:52:09 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
What about the natural gas car?:

May 27th, 2014 at 7:24:20 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I approve. Same-ish range, same ease of refueling, roughly same cost, roughly same performance, still sounds like a car.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
May 28th, 2014 at 2:57:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: theodores
What about the natural gas car?:

All for them, here in PA I've seen gas pumps with natural gas. Natural gas is great!
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2014 at 7:53:53 AM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
All for them, here in PA I've seen gas pumps with natural gas. Natural gas is great!

No bias here. Nope. None whatsoever ;)

Back when I ran the truck stop, there was an old Chevy Bel Air that would come in about once a week. This thing was cherry, had a tubbed out rear end with impossibly wide tires, had a 502ci powerplant, and ran on 100% LPG. You just filled up the tank in the back same as if you were filling up a tank for a grill or garage heater.

You couldn't tell the difference when it started. It sounded just like a petrol powered car. About the only difference is the fuel stinks more, it takes a tick longer to fill, and there's never a line for it.

There are a number of big rigs that have propane injection. It works much like nitrous. The propane going from the liquid in the tank to gas when it's injected super cools the air fuel mixture, packing the O2 into the combustion chamber. It results in more power and more efficiency.

Propane injection, turbos, superchargers... I'm all for them =)
May 30th, 2014 at 8:20:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
No bias here. Nope. None whatsoever ;)

On the advice of counsel I decline to answer as I honestly believe my answer might tend to incriminate me.

Quote:
You couldn't tell the difference when it started. It sounded just like a petrol powered car. About the only difference is the fuel stinks more, it takes a tick longer to fill, and there's never a line for it.

Goof grief how I hate that smell. When I was on my first job cabs would idle outside the store waiting for a fare. Checker Marathons, last of the line. Smelled simply terrible.
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2014 at 9:01:13 AM permalink
Face
Quote: AZDuffman
Goof grief how I hate that smell. When I was on my first job cabs would idle outside the store waiting for a fare. Checker Marathons, last of the line. Smelled simply terrible.

The exhaust did? I’m subject to it all the time as that’s what zamboni’s run on, and I don’t find it in the least bit offensive. Granted, the smell of unconverted gasoline exhaust brings me fond memories of hot rods and time at the race track, but I do get bothered by some exhaust (a burned up catalytic converter and diesel, to name two). LPG exhaust is hardly noticeable to me. You can definitely tell it’s a petroleum fuel, but of them all, it’s gotta be the faintest and least irritating.

The fuel itself can be a zinger, though. Just getting sprayed with it is more painful than stinky. Your hand smells like fart, but you usually only notice it if your hand is close to your face. The real bitch is if you’re a “distribution engineer” (gas pumper =p). The ethyl mercaptan (the additive that gives odorless propane its fart smell) builds up on the nozzle into a yellow grease. It builds up slowly, so you’ll not think about it and forego cleaning the nozzle for months. Then one day you get a tiny smear on your thumb and you want to cut your whole right side of your body off to get away from it.

It’s so bad! ><
May 30th, 2014 at 9:05:04 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
The exhaust did? I’m subject to it all the time as that’s what zamboni’s run on, and I don’t find it in the least bit offensive. Granted, the smell of unconverted gasoline exhaust brings me fond memories of hot rods and time at the race track, but I do get bothered by some exhaust (a burned up catalytic converter and diesel, to name two). LPG exhaust is hardly noticeable to me. You can definitely tell it’s a petroleum fuel, but of them all, it’s gotta be the faintest and least irritating.

Yes, the exhaust. The drivers would idle for 30 minutes sometimes so the smell built up. Remember too, these were early-1980s engines, probably some GM small-block, in cabs with who knows how many miles on them after at least 5 years use. Bleah.
The President is a fink.
May 30th, 2014 at 9:09:06 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I think we need a few more cities with density 21 ppl/acre of Vancouver, 28 ppl/acre of San Francisco or 33 ppl/acre of Queens Borough.

I don't see this country creating another Bronx, Brooklyn, or Manhattan, but we can build very nice cities with reasonable density so that walking and public transport are options.
Page 4 of 6<123456>