Saint John XXIII and Saint John Paul II

April 27th, 2014 at 6:03:16 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Two new papal saints today! Any thoughts?
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
April 27th, 2014 at 6:18:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FrGamble

I guess my main thought is in the case of John Paul II it is kind of neat that I remember his entire reign. He took over when I was in I think 3rd grade, at a Catholic School in the 1970s you can imagine how close we paid attention and how they took the chance to teach more about the Papacy. Then he got shot when I think I was in 4th or 5th grade, we heard at recess. We had no idea, some teacher yelled at us to be quiet, normally talking was no big deal so we were like, "what's the deal?" Soon as she said, "The Pope was shot!" the silence fell pretty good. When he was near death I remarked to a friend and co-worker that it was the only time I remember Matt Drudge devoted every last headline to one subject.

Additionally I found interesting that when people wanted to make him a saint right after death the Church took the matter similar to a sports Hall of Fame saying no matter how great he was there is a 5 year waiting period and we need to examine everything.
The President is a fink.
April 27th, 2014 at 8:14:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I remember seeing John Paul II's body at the Vatican. Is it still on display? I don't know how long you can keep a body and still have it look reasonably like a person.
April 27th, 2014 at 11:14:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239

I hope you won't mind me telling the story that we had a bet on the number of new saints in 2014. I had under 4. The wager was a statue of the Virgin Mary against me going to the Catholic Church on the Strip and lighting two candles for FrG's family and my own.

With these two I believe the total is already five for 2014, so I lost. Anybody want to come with me? I don't know the procedure at all. Do I buy candles there or bring my own? Where do I light/put them? What other rules of etiquette should I know, lest I embarrass myself and break them accidentally? For example, once I entered a Buddhist church without taking my shoes off, which I know understand to be a big no-no. If there are any Buddhists on the board, let me know my penance for that one.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 27th, 2014 at 11:49:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard
I hope you won't mind me telling the story that we had a bet on the number of new saints in 2014. I had under 4. The wager was a statue of the Virgin Mary against me going to the Catholic Church on the Strip and lighting two candles for FrG's family and my own.

With these two I believe the total is already five for 2014, so I lost. Anybody want to come with me? I don't know the procedure at all. Do I buy candles there or bring my own? Where do I light/put them? What other rules of etiquette should I know, lest I embarrass myself and break them accidentally? For example, once I entered a Buddhist church without taking my shoes off, which I know understand to be a big no-no. If there are any Buddhists on the board, let me know my penance for that one.
a

When I was an altar boy you could either light a small one tor $0.25 or have us light a large one for $1. I have no idea the significance of large vs small other than size or price so will defer to the Padre there. These are 1980s prices, just for examples. We liked the large ones because we lit them and got to play with fire until someone almost burned the Church down, or so the legend went.

Customs are local but I doubt it is BYOC. Also, don't just expect to pull out a lighter and fire one up, they may want them lit from a "master/eternal flame" Despite the top-down nature lots of Catholic things are still local so don't be afraid to ask, they will probably be happier if you do than to guess.
The President is a fink.
April 27th, 2014 at 12:04:31 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Catholics have rank in the church, just like the military.
Bishops, archbishop, Cardinal, etc. You can even get
promoted and have power after you die, sainthood.
They got you from cradle to beyond the grave..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 27th, 2014 at 1:28:49 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
I just asked Mrs Mosca, who lights candles like she plays slot machines. Small candles are now 50 cents, large are $2. You can light as many as you want, they are there waiting for you.

April 27th, 2014 at 3:51:30 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
I hope you won't mind me telling the story that we had a bet on the number of new saints in 2014.

You bet against a pro? That'll teach you
April 27th, 2014 at 4:31:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

John Paul gets sainthood? He had the biggest scandal
in the Church's history on his watch .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Pope_John_Paul_II#Child_sex_abuse_scandals
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 1st, 2014 at 7:04:56 AM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: Pacomartin
You bet against a pro? That'll teach you

He had inside information, after all.