Buying an Old Car

Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>
March 22nd, 2018 at 5:34:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph

Think you were close on the 10k weight for towing? Sounds heavy.

Nah. Reg says trailer is 3k, but I remember scrapping and seeing my full rig as low 7k total. So based on my truck's weight, it's much closer to 2k. Car is dead on 3,500. Plus couple tires and a tool box, we're more around 6. I'd have done a 5.4 in a 1500 no problem, but again, I'm of limited choice.

Should be double then? One time for the day worked, and one shift for the vacay time you didn't take? Or am I maff challenged worse than I thought?

It is a good feeling having time saved in the bank, for the inevitable injury with your gentle lifestyle.

Nope. We get choice of time and a half, or getting paid half time plus banking a paid day off for later use. I always do the latter. I've burned up just about everything I get in dental alone.

Quote: petro
This doesn't sound like the pig you wanted, what can you sell it for while searching for the rig of your dreams?

"Suffering is caused by desire."

It's not, but there IS a lot I love. I'm not much for lifted trucks, but I do like it. It shifts 1st and 2nd like s#$%, but I do like it. Love the spartan interior. And I do love the ride. It's rough and rattly, but there is a sense of doing good, as I must surely be beating every bump and pothole flat smooth. And the brakes are just tops. Dunno if I'm just so used to beat to hell everything, but these feel robust as I don't know what. If it actually pulls without having to stay in 2nd gear the whole way there, then I have little to complain about.

It's just too good a value. I did shop it as soon as I got it. Found a few trucks in decent kit, would have taken a loss on the trade in the unfortunate-but-doable range,... but f#$% it. 100k mile 4wd for $9,300? I will keep it and I will like it. $600/yr insurance, $180/month payment... I got cars to build and boats to buy and houses to invest in. This just makes sense, so long as gas doesn't do its $5/gal thing again.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 22nd, 2018 at 6:11:44 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
... It's rough and rattly,
Does the body , or interior cab rattle?

Quote:
... I got cars to build and boats to buy and houses to invest in.
Yes you do. Maybe you will gain admiration for it when it is tasked with what you bought it for?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
March 24th, 2018 at 12:39:59 PM permalink
Face
Does the body , or interior cab rattle?

Hard to tell, but I don't think so. I think all the noise is from the scaffolding and boxes in the back. Even if it's not, I don't much care. It's a transportation machine, not a GD mobile entertainment pod.

Quote: petro
Yes you do. Maybe you will gain admiration for it when it is tasked with what you bought it for?

I'm hoping so, but appreciation is already coming. It's growing on me, and minus the few niggles, it's quintessentially "Me". Coworker slammed her door into my mirror yesterday and broke it. And I would be more disappointed to go to the fridge and find there's no milk. It bothered me not at all, and I really like that aspect.

I also found the power! Some jackass short stopped with no blinker, which was just enough rage to drop into second and try to push the pedal through the floor. Thing scoots pretty OK for having the GVWR of one of Saturn's moons. I just can't understand who would map a truck to make its power at 4k. Only time I ever "needed" to take my Chev up and over 4k was the day I left my marital home =p
August 7th, 2018 at 6:56:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
Hard to tell, but I don't think so. I think all the noise is from the scaffolding and boxes in the back. Even if it's not, I don't much care. It's a transportation machine, not a GD mobile entertainment pod.

I'm hoping so, but appreciation is already coming. It's growing on me, and minus the few niggles, it's quintessentially "Me". Coworker slammed her door into my mirror yesterday and broke it. And I would be more disappointed to go to the fridge and find there's no milk. It bothered me not at all, and I really like that aspect.

I also found the power! Some jackass short stopped with no blinker, which was just enough rage to drop into second and try to push the pedal through the floor. Thing scoots pretty OK for having the GVWR of one of Saturn's moons. I just can't understand who would map a truck to make its power at 4k. Only time I ever "needed" to take my Chev up and over 4k was the day I left my marital home =p
Have you been able to destroy your newer truck yet? Are we missing out on some schaden?
August 8th, 2018 at 2:12:31 PM permalink
Face
Have you been able to destroy your newer truck yet? Are we missing out on some schaden?

None at all, my friend. Things have been going swimmingly.

I pulled all the scaffolding out of the back. The frame now serves as a garden implement and the boxes are in my shed holding all my racing spare's hardware. I had to shop it once, something was all f#$%ed up in the steering. It felt like bound brake pull only very strong, and as I'd be pulling against it, it would "snap" and immediately free up. Was causing all sorts of hell humping around 4k lbs of wheelers and trailer as I would swerve kind of severely every time it freed up. Ball and U joints in the fronts froze. Shopped it for a couple hundo and been right as rain since. And I almost boiled the brakes off shortly after I first got it, again towing all the wheelers when THREE of my GD calipers froze up. I ain't seen brakes that hot since my detailer days beating the tar out of lot cars. Managed to free one, swapped out the other two, and picked up damn near 4 whole mpg =D

Power is still wanting, but something has definitely improved (something besides the bad brakes lol). It's at least within the range that the big tires make sense as a possible culprit. I'll get bored one day and pick a scrapped Lightning to remedy that, I guess. Can't be that hard to bodge a supercharger, eh?

It is the stiffest GD thing I ever seen, though. Forget spilling my chocolate milk, it is on every panel of the truck, including the freaking roof. And hopping on the bumper to free a sticky tongue from the ball ain't nowhere near even close to possible anymore. I jumped on it and it didn't move 2mm, and that's a disappointing loss. Guess I know why folks don't use these as dailies much =p But it runs, it pulls, and it stops fantastically, especially what with being a manual. Very much love the added control. And having a six speed is the tits. It's so nice to be able to crawl everywhere instead of locking up my knee trying to feather pedal through the rough stuff.

So far, pretty good =)
August 8th, 2018 at 4:09:25 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Some Florida cars are Irma flood victims from Florida and Texas. I'm thinking of trying that place relatively near me that sells all its cars for 699.00. Gots to be something wrong with them.

Sometimes I think I should shift to a golf cart type thing but laws here vary.

I just got a notice from the landlord that all vehicles have to be moved elsewhere for parking lot sealant work: I'm not sure my car will even roll downhill much less to some uphill parking spot. Perhaps a bicycle instead? That would limit me to a mile or so, but it would at least keep me away from the Seminoles for ever.
August 8th, 2018 at 6:19:45 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

Power is still wanting, but something has definitely improved (something besides the bad brakes lol).

My 1.5L Chevy SUV has plenty of power. You should get one.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 14th, 2020 at 3:44:12 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Didn't want to derail the other thread, this seems a good place to pick it up...

Every goddamn thing lol. Still no bed. Cab corners are gone, spread about WNY here and there. Oil is going somewhere, but I can't tell where. Pan is wet, transfer case is wet, exhaust flange is wet (lol), but it don't smoke blue OR drip. Hell if I know, can't seem to care since it's not ruining my driveway. Has a hellacious misfire that blew my damn exhaust right apart; I suspect the ticking sound is a going-almost-gone exhaust gasket, and the misfire dumping raw fuel in it went ka-Pow. It's Racing with Face out here as it blew the flared end right off the flange. It goes headers, cats, Y pipe, then open air right under the rear passenger seat. The whole rest of it all was just hanging by the 3/5 remaining rubber bands. And since rule of law has yet again failed in WNY, I just took it off. There's been some wild mornings heel-n-toeing this magnificent bitch through the canyons XD

Buuuut, it has started every time I asked, and will still lock up all 4 when needed. Figure with all the brake issues and U-joint issues and now this, I'm still up ~$3,500 to date over buying used. And that's before figuring my laughable $700 p/YEAR insurance.

It's a frustrating old mule, and I hate it, but I did make the right choice. And now I'll never have to wonder about Ford anymore. They are dogs#$%, confirmed ;)

If you want quality, buy Japanese.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 14th, 2020 at 3:51:16 PM permalink
Face
Quote: DRich

If you want quality, buy Japanese.

Only Jap truck I like is the Taco, and the model year I can afford all snapped in half lol
April 14th, 2020 at 3:54:06 PM permalink
petroglyph
Didn't want to derail the other thread, this seems a good place to pick it up...

Every goddamn thing lol. Still no bed. Cab corners are gone, spread about WNY here and there. Oil is going somewhere, but I can't tell where. Pan is wet, transfer case is wet, exhaust flange is wet (lol), but it don't smoke blue OR drip. Hell if I know, can't seem to care since it's not ruining my driveway. Has a hellacious misfire that blew my damn exhaust right apart; I suspect the ticking sound is a going-almost-gone exhaust gasket, and the misfire dumping raw fuel in it went ka-Pow. It's Racing with Face out here as it blew the flared end right off the flange. It goes headers, cats, Y pipe, then open air right under the rear passenger seat. The whole rest of it all was just hanging by the 3/5 remaining rubber bands. And since rule of law has yet again failed in WNY, I just took it off. There's been some wild mornings heel-n-toeing this magnificent bitch through the canyons XD

Buuuut, it has started every time I asked, and will still lock up all 4 when needed. Figure with all the brake issues and U-joint issues and now this, I'm still up ~$3,500 to date over buying used. And that's before figuring my laughable $700 p/YEAR insurance.

It's a frustrating old mule, and I hate it, but I did make the right choice. And now I'll never have to wonder about Ford anymore. They are dogs#$%, confirmed ;)
It's a fine craftsman that can blame his tools.
Page 11 of 14« First<891011121314>