Buying an Old Car

Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »
May 1st, 2014 at 4:58:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: boymimbo
I had an '86 Lebaron that was a POS. Lasted about 100K miles before it was undrivable. Of course, I was 26 at the time... could have been the driver.

I was the same age and treated mine well. They were pieces of junk. The Dakotas in the corporate fleet were junk, too. If Iacocca was somehow magically at Ford for 100 years they would still have the Model T platform as the new Focus, just with a fancy grille.
The President is a fink.
April 10th, 2017 at 2:38:46 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Putting this here in hopes it pulls mimbo and Mosca back out of the woodwork =)

It's car shopping time and I'm back like I said I'd be. I'm in a much better position financially and have at least a week left in the ol' girl, so I have some time to prepare. Your job is to teach me how to buy a car.

I don't need the master class and I'm likely not doing a cross country escapade, but I suppose I should know more than picking one I like and paying what it says. And unless anyone says something, I'll likely pick one I like and pay what it says.

Ready go.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 10th, 2017 at 2:52:04 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
Putting this here in hopes it pulls mimbo and Mosca back out of the woodwork =)

It's car shopping time and I'm back like I said I'd be. I'm in a much better position financially and have at least a week left in the ol' girl, so I have some time to prepare. Your job is to teach me how to buy a car.

I don't need the master class and I'm likely not doing a cross country escapade, but I suppose I should know more than picking one I like and paying what it says. And unless anyone says something, I'll likely pick one I like and pay what it says.

Ready go.

I'll do this rapid-fire to get a quick jump:

1. New or used?
2. How used?
3. Have you pulled your credit and found your rating?
4. Or are you paying cash for a cheapie?
5. How far are you willing to drive? From what I know of your location a trip to Buffalo or Erie could save.
6. Have you picked out the basics? Sedan? Hatch? Pickup? SUV?
7. How flexible are you on make?
8. How confident are you buying from a private owner?
The President is a fink.
April 10th, 2017 at 3:38:35 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Face, I think I found you the perfect ride and it is even for sale in New York. Great dual purpose car for both work and play.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1981/ford/fairmont/100722294
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 10th, 2017 at 4:16:01 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: DRich
Face, I think I found you the perfect ride and it is even for sale in New York. Great dual purpose car for both work and play.

https://classics.autotrader.com/classic-cars/1981/ford/fairmont/100722294

Dude... no one races a Ford. They're my least favorite of the big 4, but this would be cool just for the weirdness factor. I'd do it.

Quote: AZDuffman
I'll do this rapid-fire to get a quick jump:

1. New or used?
2. How used?
3. Have you pulled your credit and found your rating?
4. Or are you paying cash for a cheapie?
5. How far are you willing to drive? From what I know of your location a trip to Buffalo or Erie could save.
6. Have you picked out the basics? Sedan? Hatch? Pickup? SUV?
7. How flexible are you on make?
8. How confident are you buying from a private owner?

1. Lol
2. Not entirely particular. I'd say fresh off a lease (~40k) is about as new as I ever go. Going the other way, it depends. I'd not mind hopping into one over 100k, provided the condition and price are serviceable.
3. No. Don't even know what that is.
4. Lol. No.
5. Figure Hamburg is the least I will have to drive, so my limit is wide. I'm not down for a multi state journey, but Eire is easily doable.
6. I know what I want, but what I want is usually unavailable. In any case, options aren't going to be a deal breaker. I'd prefer a bare bones, manual everything work truck, but would accept anything up into the space ship models.
7. Somewhat. I'd much prefer a Chevy, because I don't change what works, and I'm anti-Dodge for the same reason. I also hate Fords, but that's one of those no-fact-all-emotion things. And I fear a bit the Jap offerings, if only because I don't know the maintenance / repair costs. Whatever, the Dodge thing is about the only "real" issue. I'm too poor to be picky.
8. Meh, not entirely fearful, especially considering me and the town mechanic are on first name basis. I just cleared limbs from his yard today. Assuming the seller plays ball and allows me to get an inspection, that would assuage the only fear there could be.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
April 10th, 2017 at 4:54:02 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Face
Dude... no one races a Ford. They're my least favorite of the big 4, but this would be cool just for the weirdness factor. I'd do it.

1. Lol
2. Not entirely particular. I'd say fresh off a lease (~40k) is about as new as I ever go. Going the other way, it depends. I'd not mind hopping into one over 100k, provided the condition and price are serviceable.
3. No. Don't even know what that is.
4. Lol. No.
5. Figure Hamburg is the least I will have to drive, so my limit is wide. I'm not down for a multi state journey, but Eire is easily doable.
6. I know what I want, but what I want is usually unavailable. In any case, options aren't going to be a deal breaker. I'd prefer a bare bones, manual everything work truck, but would accept anything up into the space ship models.
7. Somewhat. I'd much prefer a Chevy, because I don't change what works, and I'm anti-Dodge for the same reason. I also hate Fords, but that's one of those no-fact-all-emotion things. And I fear a bit the Jap offerings, if only because I don't know the maintenance / repair costs. Whatever, the Dodge thing is about the only "real" issue. I'm too poor to be picky.
8. Meh, not entirely fearful, especially considering me and the town mechanic are on first name basis. I just cleared limbs from his yard today. Assuming the seller plays ball and allows me to get an inspection, that would assuage the only fear there could be.

From this I assume you are buying about $3-8K of car. Either way, you can pull your credit at annualcreditrepot.com once a year per bureau for free. You have to pay for the FICO. Even paying cash it may pay because an error can raise your insurance. Insurance usually uses a blend of FICO and driving record. If you are going to look at a few vehicles does not hurt to get a quote on all. In my FL trip I did that for three, all were within $75 a year or so, but every now and then one similar one can have a high cost part or something. For example, go price tail lights for a new F-150 with the lane monitor feature. Then scream at someone else, not me.

A "work truck" with a manual may be harder than you think as many fleets want autos. But you can save money there as even people who can drive them will not buy one. (ahem!) So few out there but many people bleep right by them.

If you go to Erie, check the NY DMV first to be sure you do not have to pay tax twice. I got no preference for Erie unless it is a better drive. I will tell you in PA you have to go to a notary shop to do the title, unlike in NY where you sign and flip the keys.

Check for title liens! Even on junk!

Everyone in PA lies about what they bought the car for to save on sales tax, probably NY, too. But if it is too low they will ask why so cheap. Have a story, stick to it. Guy bought my Accent told the notary he paid $100 and OH send me an affidavit about it, which I threw in the trash. Perjury is not a hobby of mine. If you do this and things go bad, well if the guy bought my Accent came back IU would offer him his $100 back....get it?

If you only have a week or two you are under the gun. If you need financing, get it before you leave as dealers mark it up. Then start shopping. Look on Craigslist and eBay. Then look at dealer sites. There are a few "no negotiation" places like AutoNation but for sure you will have to hit Erie or Buffalo for that, maybe even Cleveland as they are BIG.

Let me know what else I can advise on.
The President is a fink.
April 10th, 2017 at 5:36:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
I assume you drive like you live? So you are going to want something that can take a beating?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 10th, 2017 at 5:55:31 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
http://brucewilds.blogspot.com/2017/02/auto-market-facing-over-supply-and.html

https://mishtalk.com/2017/03/20/used-car-prices-most-in-any-month-since-2008-only-2nd-february-in-20-years/

Well, you can listen to that kind of stuff or face it, you are probably going to get another Chevy pick-up. And probably rightfully so if you aren't going to take it off the asphalt. I think you ought to get something that is already pre dented.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 10th, 2017 at 6:54:34 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
You know my advice. Go to a car auction
and look for a late model fleet car with
higher mileage and a stick and manual
windows. It will go for half of blue book.
I read last week two black guys killed
the driver of an expensive sports car
because it was a stick and they
couldn't drive it. Nobody want's to
drive a stick anymore.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
April 11th, 2017 at 3:13:37 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Evenbob
You know my advice. Go to a car auction
and look for a late model fleet car with
higher mileage and a stick and manual
windows. It will go for half of blue book.
I read last week two black guys killed
the driver of an expensive sports car
because it was a stick and they
couldn't drive it. Nobody want's to
drive a stick anymore.

I saw some real life show where kids got caught because they had to dump a car and could not drive a stick between them.

Being able to drive a stick should be required to get your man card.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 14<123456>Last »