Buying an Old Car

February 26th, 2018 at 3:35:42 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Not quite sure what to say about it. There's some of it that is just perfect. Other things which lend some uncertainty until I get it to the shop. We'll see in the coming days.

It does have an mpg button, first time I saw one of those in a long time. My only question - who's that masochistic? Damn button ruined a good portion of my trip home =/
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 26th, 2018 at 4:10:30 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Face
Not quite sure what to say about it. There's some of it that is just perfect. Other things which lend some uncertainty until I get it to the shop. We'll see in the coming days.

It does have an mpg button, first time I saw one of those in a long time. My only question - who's that masochistic? Damn button ruined a good portion of my trip home =/
Sounds pretty woosy. What is that, some kind of OD? Does it downshift at interstate speeds going uphill?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 26th, 2018 at 4:52:16 PM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph

Sounds pretty woosy. What is that, some kind of OD? Does it downshift at interstate speeds going uphill?

I mean the digital gauge that shows what your mpg average is lol.

I'll put it this way - If I told you the mpg and you asked me "City or highway?", the answer would be "Yes" =/
March 22nd, 2018 at 1:12:26 PM permalink
petroglyph
We never talked about how lousy Ford 4x4 PU's are on slippery roads or snow, without putting some heavy weight in the bed to counter act the suspension.

Have you put any dings in your new ride, or went in a ditch?

How does it tow? : )
March 22nd, 2018 at 1:43:10 PM permalink
Face
We never talked about how lousy Ford 4x4 PU's are on slippery roads or snow, without putting some heavy weight in the bed to counter act the suspension.

Have you put any dings in your new ride, or went in a ditch?

How does it tow? : )

YOU'RE A BIT LATE WITH THAT -_-

I find it to be dogs#$%, but it's a new ride. Mayhap I just need to adjust to it. But with big chunky tires, I was surprised at how just no traction it had. And hop! Jesus, my Chevy never hops. This thing spilled my chocolate milk all over the damn place. I suppose that might just be a "feature" of a one ton, as opposed to the soft tranquility of my baby quarter. But whatever. If I wanted a choice, I should've made better life decisions =p

I actually binned it on maybe the third day I had it. Parking lot at work, sumbitch just didn't want to listen. Couldn't burp it to break it loose and rotate, couldn't seem to convince the brakes and tires to grab. I went barreling into a big snow bank that had been through about 3 or 4 thaw and freezes. I half expected the airbags to go off, but she just went through it like a puff of smoke. I don't even think it slowed. I sure didn't even feel it. Just a huge block about the size of a Smart rolled into a parking space. No ding, no crack. I think I'd have to hit something the size of an Accord or greater to notice. I DO like that about it. There is something that's simply delightful about having a vehicle you don't care about cosmetically. Makes merging a dream ;)

But I'm still staggered on how absolutely gutless this thing is. Ford says the 5.4l puts out ~300hp and 365ft/lbs, but I don't think they know what numbers mean. I would put up my 200k/mi 4.8l against it any day in any competition. Drag race, tug of war, you name it. This thing feels like... I don't even know. Feels like I could burn together two 1.5l Honda's and make my own V8 that would blow this out of the water. A 5.4 manual that can't even chirp the tires? Please... alls I know is my typical swap meet browsing now includes wrecked Lightning's, cuz boost might be the only thing that saves this sorry case.

No towing yet. The 7 pin on the truck has actual pins, whereas all my trailer harnesses are blades. Gotta swap it out first. Though I don't know why I bother, since I been cruising with no inspection / insurance on a temp reg for a month now =D You know how many 5-0 have spun on my busted headlight only to break off once behind me? I think they think I'm utilities or something lol
March 22nd, 2018 at 2:43:03 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
YOU'RE A BIT LATE WITH THAT -_- find it to be dogs#$%

I owned two Chevy trucks, a Dodge, and
a Ford. The Ford was crap in bad weather,
the pits. The others were OK. Never bought
another Ford, never will.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 22nd, 2018 at 2:49:51 PM permalink
petroglyph
YOU'RE A BIT LATE WITH THAT -_-

I find it to be dogs#$%, but it's a new ride. Mayhap I just need to adjust to it. But with big chunky tires, I was surprised at how just no traction it had. And hop!
I do believe I have spoke to this exact thing. I can't say enough negative things about fat tires unless being used in the sand.

Quote:
Jesus, my Chevy never hops. This thing spilled my chocolate milk all over the damn place. I suppose that might just be a "feature" of a one ton,
Your Chevy was a make believe truck, little difference from an El Camino. The one ton was engineered to carry heavy loads. You are only hauling sail boat fuel with it. Use it like it was intended, put at least 500 pounds in the rear for winter. Thosand would be better. You will be impressed on the difference in the ride and the traction ability. On another note, I have seen these things get stuck, going down hill on flat and solid ground. They need a locker in the rear. Just posi track will walk away from them in the slippery.

Got a winch, hoist, even a hi lift jack or a shovel? You guys....shakes head.

Quote:
I think I'd have to hit something the size of an Accord or greater to notice. I DO like that about it. There is something that's simply delightful about having a vehicle you don't care about cosmetically. Makes merging a dream ;)
Feel impervious to hi tech lil cars with your seat belt on, don't ya : )?

Quote:
But I'm still staggered on how absolutely gutless this thing is. Ford says the 5.4l puts out ~300hp and 365ft/lbs, but I don't think they know what numbers mean. I would put up my 200k/mi 4.8l against it any day in any competition. Drag race, tug of war, you name it.
Mine on the valve cover says 195 horse. I will do a tug o war with you and the Chevy. It's not horsepower that makes things move, it's torque. 300 hp, at what rpm, 3300? It has a "power band".

Quote:
This thing feels like... I don't even know. Feels like I could burn together two 1.5l Honda's and make my own V8 that would blow this out of the water. A 5.4 manual that can't even chirp the tires?
Put some 215's or 195's on it if you want to smoke 'em. Them big tall fat tires are only good for sand, the opposite of what you need for slippery.

Quote:
No towing yet. The 7 pin on the truck has actual pins, whereas all my trailer harnesses are blades. Gotta swap it out first. Though I don't know why I bother, since I been cruising with no inspection / insurance on a temp reg for a month now =D You know how many 5-0 have spun on my busted headlight only to break off once behind me? I think they think I'm utilities or something lol
I'm starting to sense a pattern : ) How are the trailer brakes coming : ),

I wondered if you might have ditched it.
March 22nd, 2018 at 3:47:58 PM permalink
Face
Your Chevy was a make believe truck, little difference from an El Camino. The one ton was engineered to carry heavy loads. You are only hauling sail boat fuel with it. Use it like it was intended, put at least 500 pounds in the rear for winter. Thosand would be better. You will be impressed on the difference in the ride and the traction ability.

Yes! That's what I want, but none are 4WD. TBH, if racing wasn't in the picture, I'd likely have an old Subaru that I cut the back out of. A car that can carry a wheeler. I've always been more Colin McRae than Mickey Thompson...

And I understand the weight thing. Huge gravel town, I've rode in the pits since forever. Dump trucks bounce all over on the in run. But I'm already getting 10mpg and lamenting no power. I'll just get a lid for my milk =p

Oh, and I don't have those ridiculous meats on it. They're just chunky. Good for dry pack snow, s#$% in the wet slush fest we get here. Chev would have the same problems, it just wouldn't have a GD seizure while it had em lol.

Quote: petro
Mine on the valve cover says 195 horse. I will do a tug o war with you and the Chevy. It's not horsepower that makes things move, it's torque. 300 hp, at what rpm, 3300? It has a "power band".

Put some 215's or 195's on it if you want to smoke 'em. Them big tall fat tires are only good for sand, the opposite of what you need for slippery.

I know torque matters. Dude, I was a Squid for 5 years. But it ain't got no 365ft/lbs, I'm telling you. It's like it's got turbo lag, only the turbo never comes. And I did eventually find the power, which starts at about 3,100. Who the hell drives a truck, a ONE TON, no less, at 3k+? What is this, Fast and Furious: Farm Edition?

And I don't want to smoke them. But I'm seriously driving like 18yr old me snap downshifting and hammering on it just to properly navigate traffic. And though dropping the size was my first thought, my already miserable mpg was my next. Kinda seems like i'd be losing money to not get a supercharger. 'Specially since I already found everything I need for just $2-$2.5k...

Quote: petro
I'm starting to sense a pattern : ) How are the trailer brakes coming : )

Oh, I def like getting this stuff for free lol. Even if just getting one extra month on an inspection, the savings add up to more than the rare time 5-0 or Your Honor has a bug up their ass. I don't play with insurance as I'm not fixin' to ruin my life, but I save hundreds on registration / inspection. It's a great "out" for a moving violation, too. "Tell ya what, I'll give ya a break on stop sign / speed, and I'll write ya for the sticker" "Well, yes sir, thank you, sir." /hashtag Not all AP's deal in cards XD

Brakes are on hold. I paid my FINAL DENTAL BILL instead, and an amazing display of USPS competence had my taxes listing SIX DEPENDENTS, so I owed thousands this year. But I made it through both of that square, have all the money and then some for the racin' chassis build, and just got, I dunno, a $4k raise or so, plus another day off (meaning another day of time and a half because I don't get days off), and the new rig already has the controller standard. In other words, I can count the remaining times I tow without brakes on one hand. Probably.

I even had another thought you'd appreciate, but didn't want to be stupid and mention it. But I am now aware that rhino liner costs $30 a can...
March 22nd, 2018 at 4:53:15 PM permalink
petroglyph
I watched several Suburbans up north. I noticed the Chevy's were a touch different than the Jimmy's. When the Chevy's made a corner, nothing special, but when the Jimmy's would turn, they chirped the tires. Made me think the Jimmy's had posi rear ends. Little differences between the two. Like when each had a 400 ci motor, the Chevy tried to hide the distributor against the firewall. The Jimmy was in front where you could reach it.

Think you were close on the 10k weight for towing? Sounds heavy. Prolly don't need a 1T for as seldom as you are hauling weight. Hope you have an equalizer hitch, and torsion bars.

I put 4k worth of camper in the back of mine an it accelerates adequately, but when I take it off it seems like a rocket ship. : )

My last PU would get the same mileage with or without a load, around 8, brutal in that regard. 411's didn't care if they were hauling or not. This one empty without tailgate was getting 20 on the highway. Got 14 to AK and back with the camper on.
March 22nd, 2018 at 5:07:24 PM permalink
petroglyph
...plus another day off (meaning another day of time and a half because I don't get days off),
Should be double then? One time for the day worked, and one shift for the vacay time you didn't take? Or am I maff challenged worse than I thought?

It is a good feeling having time saved in the bank, for the inevitable injury with your gentle lifestyle.

Quote:
I even had another thought you'd appreciate, but didn't want to be stupid and mention it. But I am now aware that rhino liner costs $30 a can...
: ) Cheaper than Bondo.

This doesn't sound like the pig you wanted, what can you sell it for while searching for the rig of your dreams?