In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 9th, 2015 at 11:54:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
Premeditation can be but a moment.

Depends on how the law is worded. When I was on the jury we read some of the sentences half a dozen times to get the right meaning for the spirit of the law. Without reading it I would not say "predetermination" for a "moment" as that is not in the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is a planned out act, which this was not.

Quote:
At most the guy is running away with one taser lead still attached to him. That is property theft and we do not defend property with bullets. Time for a foot chase or another day.

No, but we do neutralize a threat to the public with them. If the guy could not be brought down with the taser, could it have been that he was a threat?

Again, I am not trying to show guilt or innocence, but rather what an objective investigator should be looking at and thinking.

There is an elephant in the room as to investigating it.
The President is a fink.
April 9th, 2015 at 7:52:46 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Threat to the public ????????????
Threat to the officer????????????

So one of the leads hit his skin, the other lead bounced off him. That doesn't make him SuperFreak it makes him lucky.

Subdue him? What for?
April 9th, 2015 at 7:59:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Wonder how this will play out in Ferguson.

Quick,,, hang the cop, at least in the press.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 9th, 2015 at 8:07:04 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
A few years back they had a hearing in Vegas on a guy running with handcuffs on, shot in the back and died. Police detective was cleared. But this guy was an ID'd known dangerous felon who managed to get out of the vehicle and started running away.

As far as I can remember, no fight occurred, just shot while running away.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 9th, 2015 at 8:47:49 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
https://youtu.be/-4EDhdAHrOg Tsipras had better stay out of airplanes and bathtubs.

Ever read John Perkins https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confessions_of_an_Economic_Hit_Man ?

The World Bank and the IMF blew it again.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
April 10th, 2015 at 2:43:40 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
Threat to the public ????????????
Threat to the officer????????????

So one of the leads hit his skin, the other lead bounced off him. That doesn't make him SuperFreak it makes him lucky.

Subdue him? What for?

Yes, a perp who is resisting arrest could be considered a threat as a matter of law and procedure.

I predict that the press, the race-industry, and even Obama will be using the story to stir up more race problems in the country. It is to all of their advantage to do so for various reasons. And one more reason I will watch less news and tune out more pop culture and get on with my own life. But the funny part is that the aforesaid people who will gin things up are the ones that call us folks who always warn of government control as crazies and will call for more control over our lives at the threat of more government violence.
The President is a fink.
April 10th, 2015 at 7:10:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
People ethnically different from myself don't get my automatic sympathy. Perhaps I even am less than neutral sometimes.

In the matter of the way the police go overboard in these recent cases, though, I tend to sympathize quite a bit. Even in the Ferguson case where much of what was claimed was found to be untrue, hey, the guy was unarmed.

The current SC case is profoundly disturbing.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 10th, 2015 at 8:23:47 AM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
When we make the police second guess their response we can create problems in the other direction.

In Vancouver last night there was a nut case stabbing people and he had already stabbed 2 people by the time the police arrived. He doesn't listen to the police when they arrive and starts to attach a women. They try the bean bag gun and it doesn't stop him. Finally they shoot and kill him but now the women is in hospital in critical condition because they didn't shoot first.

We all make perfect decisions for the police in hindsite. How many of us always make the perfect decision in our own jobs and we usually are not in the stressfull positions our police find themselves in. Considering how many 1000's of these decisions are made everyday and how few we like to rant about I think they do an excellent job.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 10th, 2015 at 11:07:13 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: kenarman
When we make the police second guess their response we can create problems in the other direction.

In Vancouver last night there was a nut case stabbing people and he had already stabbed 2 people by the time the police arrived. He doesn't listen to the police when they arrive and starts to attach a women. They try the bean bag gun and it doesn't stop him. Finally they shoot and kill him but now the women is in hospital in critical condition because they didn't shoot first.

We all make perfect decisions for the police in hindsite. How many of us always make the perfect decision in our own jobs and we usually are not in the stressfull positions our police find themselves in. Considering how many 1000's of these decisions are made everyday and how few we like to rant about I think they do an excellent job.

I don't have the link but after Ferguson the cops had some civil rights leader of some kind in to take the same kind of tests the cops take. Kind of like a simulator but instead of driving or flying you shoot or whatever. The guy made the decision to shoot, he after was a man about it and said he never before saw what it was like what the cops went thru.

It isn't just cops. From a soldier in battle (remember when the one soldier in Iraq shot that guy to be sure he was dead) to a quarterback to wherever; people seem to forget that it is different to make a decision in a second when you must to after the fact when you have way more info and unlimited time to consider it.

[EDIT]

It already looks just a little different when you see what led up to it.
The President is a fink.
April 10th, 2015 at 11:36:54 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: AZDuffman
It already looks just a little different when you see what led up to it

I had no doubt all along that the cop was on the receiving end of some infuriating behavior. I wondered even if we might find that the guy struggled in a way that was quasi-resisting-arrest, you know, struggling and hitting ...

no sir, does not excuse shooting the guy [although if you went back far enough in time more people might accept that a cop just shoots someone running away - such had its day]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]