In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 19th, 2021 at 12:31:21 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: DRich
Actually, most things sold on Ebay are from legitimate businesses. Ebay mentioned in one of their 10k's that about 70% of items sold are from their preferred businesses.
I don't know why I said that? I was rooting for the guy bringing a truckload of gens to an area that didn't have power, regardless of local regs. But on the other hand, I hated the guy that came through town and bought every square of toilet paper during the early pandemic.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 19th, 2021 at 1:09:25 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: rxwine
That’s what some in big pharma argue. If we can sell a life saving drug at 700 times the price why not. i think it was epi pens someone was holding out for a high price. For people who die from allergic reactions.

I'll admit that you have me on that one. The entire medical system (from a pricing standpoint) is so broken that I wouldn't even know where to start on that.

If I had to point out a difference, it would be that the generators were already sitting there at the Home Depot and transporting them to the natural disaster site was more of a one-off situation compared to the fact that some people are allergic to bees, or what have you.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 19th, 2021 at 1:46:16 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: Mission146
I'll admit that you have me on that one. The entire medical system (from a pricing standpoint) is so broken that I wouldn't even know where to start on that.

If I had to point out a difference, it would be that the generators were already sitting there at the Home Depot and transporting them to the natural disaster site was more of a one-off situation compared to the fact that some people are allergic to bees, or what have you.

You know, I just remembered a bill I got once for repair I thought was outrageous and I made copy and posted it on a photo site (photobucket or some other I don't even remember)

It may still be up there somewhere. i had text up so it would be found on a search engine.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 19th, 2021 at 5:44:08 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Actress Olivia Munn posted the video in this article on Twitter, showing her friends mother being attacked on a NYC street. She asked for the Twitter community to help catch the criminal.

He was arrested yesterday, but in Cuomo's New York, there is no bail for most offenders. Not even those accused of third degree homicide. So he was released this morning.
February 20th, 2021 at 3:04:35 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: Mission146
Wasn't there a guy hoarding a bunch of masks and sanitizer last year (with the intent to sell them at an inflated price) who almost got charged?

The FBI didn’t charge that guy with anything related to the mask selling (because he broke no laws). They arrested him for assaulting an officer because he coughed once while they questioned him.

I wish I was making that up.
February 20th, 2021 at 6:37:28 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
A little unkind, don't you think? Most Texans had little to no visibility of the policy choices that caused this. Turns out Democrats are suffering too.

Not unkind
This was not a disaster caused by weather
No tsunami
No flooding
No hurricane winds
It simply got cold, that's all. Just cold.
Yet due to republican policies , people are suffering.
It's really incredible. Its gets cold in Russia and China yet they keep their power grid up.Its really shocking the suffering going on in TX. If dems were in charge, no way this happens.
That's incredible to say if another party was in charge, there would have been no power issues. Republicans are directly responsible.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 20th, 2021 at 6:49:39 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: terapined
Not unkind
This was not a disaster caused by weather
No tsunami
No flooding
No hurricane winds
It simply got cold, that's all. Just cold.
Yet due to republican policies , people are suffering.
It's really incredible. Its gets cold in Russia and China yet they keep their power grid up.Its really shocking the suffering going on in TX. If dems were in charge, no way this happens.

I don't know much at all about the Texas situation. But, isn't unexpected state-wide freezing and a snow storm a disaster caused by weather?

When you live somewhere that does not have the infrastructure to react to snow and ice it can be devastating.

I live in the South, it snowed once during a freezing period since I moved to this city, and everything shut down for a week I think. No plows, no salt trucks, no plan to remove snow (or more accurately the ice from the roads because it kept freezing) so there was just a bunch of car crashes because people are not used to driving in winter weather. (and there was nobody to clear the roads). I don't think the power went out, but supply chains locally were disrupted for a week.
There are a lot of plans in place for flooding and hurricanes where I live, but none for snow because it only happens like once every 20 years and usually is not bad, but when it is bad and it stays below freezing it can be devastating.

I am not sure it matters who is in charge (I live in a Dem City). Are you going to have the City maintain a fleet of plow and salt trucks for an event that may happen once every 10-20 years (and most of the time it is minor), or are you just going to lock the City down for a week when it happens? Obviously it is cheaper to just be willing to lock everything down.

I imagine the situation in Texas is similar but across the State. I don't know enough about the power situation to be critical of that aspect.
February 20th, 2021 at 9:06:13 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: Gandler
I don't know much at all about the Texas situation. But, isn't unexpected state-wide freezing and a snow storm a disaster caused by weather?

Only in TX is it a disaster due to republican policies
Other parts of the country and planet, just an inconvenience
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 20th, 2021 at 11:40:45 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: terapined
Only in TX is it a disaster due to republican policies
Other parts of the country and planet, just an inconvenience

Just reminding you just because you say the same thing over and over and over and over again does not mean it is true. The rest of the forum is.aware of this... I’m just trying to help you here.....

I’m sure those displaced by the tires in California are blaming their Republican Governor? Those whose houses and businesses were burnt down in Portland were blaming their Republican mayor? Those in NY who have dead relatives from nursing homes are blaming their Republican Governor? The dead in Colorado avalanches blaming their Republican Governor? The devastated city of Minneapolis blaming its Republican mayor and Governor? As far as this type of incompetence... it really is bipartisan....
February 20th, 2021 at 1:10:06 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
A United 777 blew an engine taking off from Denver and scattered debris over several nearby neighborhoods.

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman