In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 24th, 2021 at 10:16:14 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: JimRockford
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2021/2/24/22298616/frys-electronics-going-out-of-business

Fry’s Electronics is shutting its doors for good

It was THE place to get a router or a hard drive when you needed one now and with Radio Shack long gone, it was the only place for tinkerers to get a resistor, diode, soldering accessories etc. On the other hand it was notorious for bad customer service, slapping a discount sticker on a returned item and putting it right back on the shelf and for demanding to look in your bag as you left the store.

Never even heard of the place regarding selling tech
Must be regional
When I see Frys, I think groceries and that's it
I had no idea they were into electronics
How come I couldn't buy a laptop with my bananas ?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 24th, 2021 at 10:23:47 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2021/2/24/22298616/frys-electronics-going-out-of-business

Fry’s Electronics is shutting its doors for good

It was THE place to get a router or a hard drive when you needed one now and with Radio Shack long gone, it was the only place for tinkerers to get a resistor, diode, soldering accessories etc. On the other hand it was notorious for bad customer service, slapping a discount sticker on a returned item and putting it right back on the shelf and for demanding to look in your bag as you left the store.

Fear not:

https://www.radioshack.com/

Resistors are available. If you want to buy anything, I'd recommend searching for it by name. If you search by category, their website can only load so many items at a time and you have to keep scrolling down the page.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
February 24th, 2021 at 11:36:31 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: terapined
Never even heard of the place regarding selling tech
Must be regional
When I see Frys, I think groceries and that's it
I had no idea they were into electronics
How come I couldn't buy a laptop with my bananas ?

WOW! I had no idea that Fry's Electronics was not a near universal American experience. Turns out they were only big in CA and TX. If you've never been to one, I can't to it justice. They were the size of a Target or Walmart. They had everything that Best Buy had but MUCH more selection. Every kind of computer made and everything you needed to build your own. Every obscure cable, adapter, or connector known to the tech world.

They were also kinda wacky. There was a cafe in the middle of the store. Each sore had a theme. Austin's was music with a huge piano facade on the store front and a guy playing a Steinway grand piano on the floor of the store.

RIP Fry's
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
February 24th, 2021 at 1:05:51 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
WOW! I had no idea that Fry's Electronics was not a near universal American experience. Turns out they were only big in CA and TX. If you've never been to one, I can't to it justice. They were the size of a Target or Walmart. They had everything that Best Buy had but MUCH more selection. Every kind of computer made and everything you needed to build your own. Every obscure cable, adapter, or connector known to the tech world.

I only saw them in AZ. They also had Fry's grocery, which was weird. Even mid-2000s those places were on the backslide. That it lasted this long is amazing. They will be missed.
The President is a fink.
February 24th, 2021 at 2:31:58 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Cuomo sex harassment scandal. He is toast. No rape but it seems like there will be women coming out of the woodwork like Bill Cosby case. It wonder if he will use his friends Donald Trump and bill Clinton as character witnesses?
February 24th, 2021 at 2:52:13 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO
Cuomo sex harassment scandal. He is toast.

The puppet masters want him out of the way. Something new coming out every day on Cuomo. Done in by his own Party. He will be lucky if they don’t force him to resign. Letisha James will succeed him.
February 24th, 2021 at 2:55:04 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Cuomo sex harassment scandal. He is toast. No rape but it seems like there will be women coming out of the woodwork like Bill Cosby case. It wonder if he will use his friends Donald Trump and bill Clinton as character witnesses?

Did we ever get to the bottom of whether or not he pierced his nipples?

“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
February 24th, 2021 at 3:30:49 PM permalink
terapined

He's toast because Dems hold their people accountable unlike republicans that could care less about Trump and his crimes
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
February 24th, 2021 at 3:30:54 PM permalink
terapined

He's toast because Dems hold their people accountable unlike republicans that could care less about Trump and his crimes
February 24th, 2021 at 3:31:45 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: terapined

When they feel like it, anyway.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman