In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 20th, 2021 at 3:53:09 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Tripdufan

I would argue that the middle class being priced out of homes because wealthy investors are buying them all up to rent is a MUCH BIGGER ISSUE facing our country than people coming here in search for better lives.

As an investor doing just this let me say I am doing a service. As are others. Lots of people want or need to rent. And we saw in 2008 what happens when you encourage homeownership to people who cannot afford it.

The root of all this is that it is very hard to make money building lower-end homes. Did I get lucky getting one? Yes and no. It was a disaster and I had to drop at least what I paid to get it in good shape. Now I bought the place next door and it will be a sweet little income for me. If the neighborhood keeps gentrifying it will be a nice gain as well.

The real problem, though, is not in my part of the country. It is in the mostly-blue states of the northeast, west coast, and southwest. Texas as well. I see what places are selling for and wonder how anyone lives there. A fortune for often modest places. 15 years ago over $400,000 was rare and jumbo territory. Now in many places that is normal, even low.

You have to start in the not the best neighborhoods and cities and work your way up, just how it is and really has always been.
The President is a fink.
April 20th, 2021 at 4:08:48 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
Quote: AZDuffman
Brought upon himself? Uh, NO! The fact that he was running on the GOP ticket meant the media would be out for him. They just really got irritated that he would not play their little games by their rules and acted as the alpha male he is.

Alpha male stopped working for him. Any real businessman would tell you when something is not working, you don't keep doing it.

So, he was stupid.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 20th, 2021 at 4:41:58 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Yeah, if you actually sit down and look at the data from the past ten years, you will see that it IS predictable and it IS seasonal. There was a 28% increase in migrants from January to February 2021, from 78,442 to 100,441. 28%. During FY 2019, UNDER THE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION, total apprehensions increased 31 percent during the same period, a BIGGER increase. (You can't compare FY 2021 to 2020 because of the pandemic).

The data from the last ten years tells us that pattern is pretty predictable. Migrants start making the trip when weather gets warmer. We have seen a regular increase not just from January to February, but from February to March, March to April, and April to May, and then a sharp drop-off, as migrants stop coming in the hotter summer months when the heat is deadly.

I'm not arguing with you that unaccompanied minors at the border is NOT a problem. It is. I'm simply saying that calling it the most "dire crisis our coutnry is facing" is RIDICULOUS when 567k fellow Americans are dead because of poor management. I mean, I guess, if I were a republican and the last two presidents from my party ran the country into the ground, I'd be saying stupid s**t too to try to divert attention from how much we suck.

I would argue that the middle class being priced out of homes because wealthy investors are buying them all up to rent is a MUCH BIGGER ISSUE facing our country than people coming here in search for better lives.

Ok. I guess I was a tad forgetful in not considering Coronavirus. But long term..... hundreds of thousands of de facto orphans per year being dumped here is a problem...!

As far as the housing crisis... I live in Buffalo where housing prices are still very low.....
April 20th, 2021 at 4:50:06 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14

You think that 100's of thousands of immigrants who need housing, often paid by for the government doesn't create a demand for rental housing?
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
April 20th, 2021 at 5:08:51 PM permalink
Tripdufan
Threads: 0
Quote: SOOPOO
But long term..... hundreds of thousands of de facto orphans per year being dumped here is a problem...!

I agree. It is a problem, but not the most dire crisis we face. It's also not new and it is certainly not because Joe Biden is president.
April 20th, 2021 at 5:13:45 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

As far as the housing crisis... I live in Buffalo where housing prices are still very low.....

Have you made any progress on your decision to move to Florida? My wife told me over the weekend that she thinks she is about ready to move to Florida as we are getting very complacent in Las Vegas. I have been debating taking a work at home position and if I do that would help facilitate our move. She is going to start researching areas in Florida that she would consider moving to.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 21st, 2021 at 3:53:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Alpha male stopped working for him. Any real businessman would tell you when something is not working, you don't keep doing it.

So, he was stupid.

Alpha male worked for him to the bitter end, he never lost his supporters like Bush43 did. I really do not get the hate for alpha males. Better than girly-man Obama was.
The President is a fink.
April 21st, 2021 at 3:55:49 AM permalink
AZDuffman

Enjoy that while it lasts. I can see it ending right in front of me in my town.
The President is a fink.
April 21st, 2021 at 4:01:13 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Alpha male worked for him to the bitter end

Only if his goal was always to become a one-term loser....
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 21st, 2021 at 6:05:50 AM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0

Those people coming here in search of better lives are one reason my property values and rents both increased 36% between 2013 and 2016. If you think the costs of real estate and rents are high now, just wait.

Most of those two million new homes Biden wants to build with taxpayer money, are going to be purchased by the same big money interests that donated $3 billion to influence Washington in the last election.

“One acquisition manager told me that one of the many hedge funds he is working with is buying 500,000 residential homes,”

They are stealing the American Dream and turning the U.S. into a nation of renters, and Washington is helping them do it.

Washington is also allowing visa workers to take two-thirds of the new tech jobs each year.

Rents are so high, young couples will never be able to save for a home and build equity for retirement.

On top of that, the U.S. dollar it at a record low with regard to purchasing power. Every dollar they create out of thin air, to pay for things they can't afford, decreases the value of every pre-existing dollar.

More and more wealth is being concentrated in the hands of a few.

Blackrock (BLK), the world’s largest money management firm, with $ 9 trillion under management, and two former execs in Biden’s cabinet, reported a 49% increase in first quarter profits, thanks to low interest rates and stimulus spending.

Their real estate fund BIREX has a good YTD return.