November 25th, 2021 at 7:13:35 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
duplicate
November 25th, 2021 at 7:55:38 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: RonC
I do remember flying being an adventure. Most people dressed up a bit and they actually served edible food, even in coach.

It changed along the way and now they are bus tubes in the sky.

Then you have the idiots who decide they want to protest mask usage in an inappropriate space. Put them on no fly forever...

I would agree that it was an adventure, but never fun in my mind. Riding in an airplane is the same as sitting on a bus, just shorter time on it.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
November 25th, 2021 at 8:00:18 AM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Quote: DRich
I would agree that it was an adventure, but never fun in my mind. Riding in an airplane is the same as sitting on a bus, just shorter time on it.

I first went overseas in 1965. At five years old, it was a great adventure leading to living in Chitose, Japan (on Hokkaido) for three years. I flew regularly at some points and saw a difference in the ride quality from 1979, when I went to Okinawa, Japan for a year and the 90's, when I was on a plane bi-weekly. It just was not to the same.
November 25th, 2021 at 8:19:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: RonC
I first went overseas in 1965. At five years old, it was a great adventure leading to living in Chitose, Japan (on Hokkaido) for three years. I flew regularly at some points and saw a difference in the ride quality from 1979, when I went to Okinawa, Japan for a year and the 90's, when I was on a plane bi-weekly. It just was not to the same.

I flew once as a little kid, maybe 1974? As a kid of course it was an adventure. Thought I saw we took off from the airport and landed at the airport, I thought we got nowhere. Things kids think!

Didn't fly commercial again until 1988 maybe. Family vacation, among the last as us kids were getting older. Disney. Actual meal on the flight. Not a good mean but we had never flown on vacation so it was an adventure. My nieces and nephews fly these trips. I told my oldest niece what we went thru at her age. She could not believe it.

By 1994 I was flown to Memphis for a final stage job interview. Real adventure since it was "on business." I was so broke I was afraid what would happen if any unforeseen issues and expenses. But it was "on business" and so cool.

Two year management training program. Several times a year flights PIT to PHI. I'd call them cattle cars but PETA does not allow cattle to be treated that way. I noticed after the fact I was no longer saying "I get to fly to...." to "I have to fly to......" Notice the difference?

Less than 5 hours in the car I prefer to drive. Given all the time fooling around at the airport and need of ground transport vs. just popping in a podcast and having your own car where you go that is worth it to me. I have no fear of flying, I have a hate for the aggravation of it all.

I do not consider myself to have done a lot of flying but have enough stories to last me a lifetime. Plane diverted due to passenger having some kind of attack, my boss wondered where the heck I was and why I was late. Rode in the seat of a private jet. Luckily never had to use O2 masks.
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2021 at 8:52:52 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
Hard to believe that not too terribly long ago people used to smoke on airplanes.

*cough*
November 25th, 2021 at 8:56:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: missedhervee
Hard to believe that not too terribly long ago people used to smoke on airplanes.

*cough*

Watch "Airplane II" not a great movie but set in the future and they were smoking on the plane.
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2021 at 10:10:46 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
What was different was it was about cash. Before that skyjackings were political or just some Cuban wanted to go home. It does blow my mind that in my lifetime you could just walk on a plane no security checks.
Even in the late 80's on a nice summer day you could open the doors from the bar onto the tarmac. Walk out from the last drink and onto the plane and hand the baggage handler your things, including rifle.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 25th, 2021 at 10:24:00 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
Even in the late 80's on a nice summer day you could open the doors from the bar onto the tarmac. Walk out from the last drink and onto the plane and hand the baggage handler your things, including rifle.

I am calling BS on rifle. After security no firearms would be allowed past the secure area.
The President is a fink.
November 25th, 2021 at 11:01:45 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
I am calling BS on rifle. After security no firearms would be allowed past the secure area.
I was thinking bush planes, and the pilot does most of the loading.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 25th, 2021 at 11:13:51 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
I was thinking bush planes, and the pilot does most of the loading.

That is not the same thing then.
The President is a fink.